Status of OmniBrowser, OBSystemBrowser in 1.4?

Status of OmniBrowser, OBSystemBrowser in 1.4?

Helene Bilbo
What will be the status of OmniBrowser - and from my perspective not the Framework, but the OBSystemBrowser, but it's surely connected - in Pharo 1.4?

I read at the Seaside list: "There are no plans in supporting OB in Pharo 1.4."

On the other hand i recently saw OmniBrowser has new features and - of all things - a Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/106411970666264136741/posts

Also there seem to be different versions, that from a user-perspective are not easily distinguisable?

Can anyone who knows about it explain or update the CollaboractiveBook page: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools/OmniBrowser/

The missing OBSystemBrowser is what stopps me from really using 1.4 at the moment.

Best regards, Helene.

Re: Status of OmniBrowser, OBSystemBrowser in 1.4?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Mar 27, 2012, at 11:29 AM, Helene Bilbo wrote:

> What will be the status of OmniBrowser - and from my perspective not the
> Framework, but the OBSystemBrowser, but it's surely connected - in Pharo
> 1.4?
>
> I read at the Seaside list: "There are no plans in supporting OB in Pharo
> 1.4."

So :) should we do it? This is the question? Should we maintain a system that the maintainers do not work
to maintain on Pharo1.4? and for which we have no control? This is a real question :)

Now the real question is: will seaside ported to Pharo 1.4 because if lukas only use OB to code and OB is not ported
to 1.4 then we can ask ourselves. Again our responsibility is to produce an excellent core and we did a lot of improvements.
Now if people do not want to use a better system we cannot force them but we will not stop because our goal is to bring
Smalltalk to the next level :).

What we will do is the following:
        - We will ship 1.4 core (without OB) because this is what we daily use.
        - People may want to use Nautilus that is build on this core.
        - We may help a group of people willing to propose a configurationOfOB for 1.4. I do not think that this is that much work.
        For example, I clean ECompletion and packaged it in a new package for 1.4

For 1.5 we will introduce Nautilus and remove all the old browsers. Normally we will rewritten completely everything from scratch.

> On the other hand i recently saw OmniBrowser has new features and - of all
> things - a Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/106411970666264136741/posts
>
> Also there seem to be different versions, that from a user-perspective are
> not easily distinguisable?
>
> Can anyone who knows about it explain or update the CollaboractiveBook page:
> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools/OmniBrowser/
>
> The missing OBSystemBrowser is what stopps me from really using 1.4 at the
> moment.

        Did you try Nautilus? Nautilus is improving every day.
        Because it is cool too and build automatically from our jenkins.

        https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Nautilus/job/Nautilus-Release/

Stef

> Best regards, Helene.

Re: Status of OmniBrowser, OBSystemBrowser in 1.4?

Helene Bilbo
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
> I read at the Seaside list: "There are no plans in supporting OB in Pharo
> 1.4."

So :) should we do it? This is the question? Should we maintain a system that the maintainers do not work
to maintain on Pharo1.4? and for which we have no control? This is a real question :)
Haha, too much internals the humble user doesn't know about :)
So, OB is not developed by the same people than Pharo-Project and the people responsible for OB won't support Pharo 1.4? So it's no longer there.

Stéphane Ducasse wrote
        - People may want to use Nautilus that is build on this core.
Of course, i already gave it a try and made a nice drawing with suggestions: http://forum.world.st/more-Nautilus-feed-back-tp4457416p4459175.html
I'm looking forward to use it in the future!

The question was really about *getting information* on what is happening. It is not always clear to the uninitiated.

Re: Status of OmniBrowser, OBSystemBrowser in 1.4?

Stéphane Ducasse

>>> I read at the Seaside list: "There are no plans in supporting OB in Pharo
>>> 1.4."
>>
>> So :) should we do it? This is the question? Should we maintain a system
>> that the maintainers do not work
>> to maintain on Pharo1.4? and for which we have no control? This is a real
>> question :)
>>

> Haha, too much internals the humble user doesn't know about :)
> So, OB is not developed by the same people than Pharo-Project and the people
> responsible for OB won't support Pharo 1.4? So it's no longer there.

I think so. And this is not under our control.

>> - People may want to use Nautilus that is build on this core.
>>

> Of course, i already gave it a try and made a nice drawing with suggestions:
> http://forum.world.st/more-Nautilus-feed-back-tp4457416p4459175.html
> I'm looking forward to use it in the future!
>
> The question was really about *getting information* on what is happening. It
> is not always clear to the uninitiated.

ask and we will tell.
You can also read the document I spent days to write and that we sent around about Pharo vision.