Strange behavior with the delete key in MacOSX

Strange behavior with the delete key in MacOSX

Alexandre Bergel-2
Hello,

Time to time I encounter a problem with my keyboard when Squeak is
launched. However I cannot assess the problem comes from Squeak
itself or not. This problem is that the 'delete' key does not produce
what is expected. In a xterm, when I press this key, the character ~
is displayed instead, and the character where the cursor is is not
removed. Same thing for Ctl-K, to delete a line in a xterm, the line
is not deleted. I am not sure I describe the problem well, but I
think that if someone already bumped into it knows what I mean.

This problem occurs only when Squeak is open...

Am I the only one ?

For info, I use the 3.8.6Beta6 VM, and the version of MacOSX is 10.4.5

Hoping someone has more information...

Regards,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Alexandre.Bergel

Re: Strange behavior with the delete key in MacOSX

Tom Phoenix
On 3/3/06, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Time to time I encounter a problem with my keyboard when Squeak is
> launched. However I cannot assess the problem comes from Squeak
> itself or not. This problem is that the 'delete' key does not produce
> what is expected.

I believe you're saying that, sometimes when Squeak is running, the
delete key develops unexpected behavior in other Mac OS X applications
running at the same time?

> In a xterm, when I press this key, the character ~
> is displayed instead, and the character where the cursor is is not
> removed.

Most xterms can send either backspace or delete for that key; could
yours have gotten set to the wrong one?

> This problem occurs only when Squeak is open...

Does quitting Squeak solve the problem? If the symptoms go away when
Squeak is quit, it may be a problem with your VM. But I think you're
saying that the problem stays after the VM has stopped running. In
that case, I suspect you might be pressing some key combination that's
changing your keyboard layout or something. On my Mac, I can go to
System Preferences / International / Input Menu to choose keyboard
layouts. Does that lead you anywhere?

Good luck with it!

--Tom Phoenix