StrongTalk VM

haggai
I am curious what the croquet community think about the possibility of porting Croquet to the StrongTalk VM. Anyon here is picking up the glove, that Dan Ingalls threw?

http://weeklysqueak.wordpress.com/2006/10/03/strongtalking-squeak/

(which I believe Avi Bryant (Dabble db) benched it as 10x faster.)

Re: StrongTalk VM

David P. Reed
Well, Dan's $5,000 wasn't picked up before it expired on 12/31/2006.

I think the whole world is waiting for Coke from Ian Piumarta.

Strongtalk looks interesting only if you don't think Coke will pan out.

Re: StrongTalk VM

Howard Stearns
A slight equivocation: I'm not actually waiting.

For the WAN work I'm doing right now, the first bottleneck in practice
is bandwidth. When that's fully addressed, the next will be latency. I
think the Squeak performance will only matter later.

We do use plugins. The direct need (e.g., for video) is as an
abstraction for platform-specific libraries. But speed is a nice
side-effect. (Of course, this hybrid approach has worked well for Python.)

I imagine that Squeak performance would matter very quickly if I tried
to do platform-independent in-world physics.

But the important thing, I think, is to build stuff that can be done
now, rather than waiting for other development teams and other technologies.

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison