Submitting fixes based on out-of-date packages

Submitting fixes based on out-of-date packages

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I'm using 4.1 and made a fix.

Usually, I would save it to a local repository, merge it in a trunk image, and then upload it to the inbox.  But I'm often in the middle of something and not willing to do this.

Does it work if I just upload the version based on 4.1 to the inbox?  Would it help much if I check the changes between my fixed package and the trunk version, and make sure there are no conflicts?

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Submitting fixes based on out-of-date packages

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I'm using 4.1 and made a fix.
>
> Usually, I would save it to a local repository, merge it in a trunk image,
> and then upload it to the inbox.  But I'm often in the middle of something
> and not willing to do this.
>
> Does it work if I just upload the version based on 4.1 to the inbox?  Would
> it help much if I check the changes between my fixed package and the trunk
> version, and make sure there are no conflicts?

It's fine to upload such a fix to the Inbox, because MC can merge
versions. But it's better to upload a version that has the current version
as ancestor. If there are only a few updated methods, then you can
simply file them out from your image (using MC's patch browser) and file
them into an up-to-date trunk image, then save a new version of the
package and upload that.

Levente

> Thanks.
> Sean

Re: Submitting fixes based on out-of-date packages

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote
It's fine to upload such a fix to the Inbox, because MC can merge
versions. But it's better to upload a version that has the current version
as ancestor.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.  If I have the time, I go the second route, but in this case it was either:
* stop current project for a second and upload to inbox
* or, put it on a todo list and do it... later/never

Sean
Cheers,
Sean