Success!

waufrepi III
I've been trying to get the Skeletal Animation package going some time
now....and I finally got something to play. yeh hah!
I think it will work with the web..... tried it with a clean install

if anyone's awake, see if you see the wiggly thing

www.waufrepi.com/WebCobalt/SkAnTest.c3d

wfpi

Success!

Americo Damasceno
Wfpi,

Unfortunately your island is presenting some errors (for me). Like you can see
at an image of my test:

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/skel.jpg

By the way: errors having GL in the name are about the OpenGL - but this is not
important here.

I don't know very well the technique of skeletal animation but, I imagine you
have changed some Classes or functions of some "image".

"Web-Cobalt" only accepts (by now - it will change in the future) that you
change the CobaltWorld Class and its "initialize" function - like we are doing.

You can put your test available for everybody, using the "Croquet-Cobalt" way,
creating a new image and a new folder of the type "content", like we explain in
our Manual. The .ZIP file (not .C3D) will have around 50 MB. This is the
problem of "Croquet-Cobalt": it's too much download, if the user doesn't have a
very fast broadband.

Americo

Re: Success!

waufrepi III

darn. I'm guess I'm just happy I got the package going.

I didn't have to modify any class though. I just added

fileName := FileDirectory pathFromURI: 'Content/SAE4/Test1/arm.mesh.xml'.
mesh := (TLoadOgreMesh initializeWithFileName: fileName scale: 0.5) frame.
space addChild: mesh.
mesh playAnimation: 'Action' type: #skeletal.
 to the CobaltWorld's initialize. I did use the CrusoeWeb.image

maybe like the cube2x2, have to have the Ogre xml files:

http://www.waufrepi.com/WebCobalt/SAE4.zip.....

  have to go worky though..I'll try some stuff later.

On 4/15/08, Americo Damasceno <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Americo

Re: Success!

Les Howell
On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 07:13 -0400, Americo Damasceno wrote:

> Wfpi,
>
> Unfortunately your island is presenting some errors (for me). Like you can see
> at an image of my test:
>
> http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/skel.jpg
>
> By the way: errors having GL in the name are about the OpenGL - but this is not
> important here.
>
> I don't know very well the technique of skeletal animation but, I imagine you
> have changed some Classes or functions of some "image".
>
> "Web-Cobalt" only accepts (by now - it will change in the future) that you
> change the CobaltWorld Class and its "initialize" function - like we are doing.
>
> You can put your test available for everybody, using the "Croquet-Cobalt" way,
> creating a new image and a new folder of the type "content", like we explain in
> our Manual. The .ZIP file (not .C3D) will have around 50 MB. This is the
> problem of "Croquet-Cobalt": it's too much download, if the user doesn't have a
> very fast broadband.
>
> Americo

Hi, Americo,
        I want to take another approach to the blender island issue.  How is
the path set for the CrusoeWeb image?  That is how can I be sure that I
have located the Panel and Cube stuff in the directory that the
CrusoeWeb image checks?

Regards,
Les H

Re: Success!

Americo Damasceno
Les,

The CrusoeWeb image is located at the main folder of Cobalt. Like the default
cobalt.1.image.

The path for any other object is defined at the "initialize" function of the
CobaltWorld Class.

Until now, our Manual doesn't talk anything about Panels. We are using them at
our 3D lessons but  will talk about their use only at future lesson.

Our Manual is an "step by step" Manual. And it's a "work in progress".

I know that everybody would like to know everything now :-)

It's the natural anxiety of interested readers. Thanks.

Re: Success!

Les Howell
On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 15:50 -0400, Americo Damasceno wrote:

> Les,
>
> The CrusoeWeb image is located at the main folder of Cobalt. Like the default
> cobalt.1.image.
>
> The path for any other object is defined at the "initialize" function of the
> CobaltWorld Class.
>
> Until now, our Manual doesn't talk anything about Panels. We are using them at
> our 3D lessons but  will talk about their use only at future lesson.
>
> Our Manual is an "step by step" Manual. And it's a "work in progress".
>
> I know that everybody would like to know everything now :-)
>
> It's the natural anxiety of interested readers. Thanks.
That is good, but I have tried the panel in the Content folder, in the
main folder and in both.  None of these strategies paid off.  I will
check the CobaltWorld Initialize function and see what that can tell me.

I don't know the future path for the system, but in both windows and
Linux, there is typically a config file that can be set in a users
account for various setup things.  Maybe the paths should be setup
there?

Regards,
Les H

Re: Success!

waufrepi III

Americo,

  I had a second to test.... the SkAnTest.c3d worked on my machine at work. I used the Crusoe image here in another fresh download of the of the Cobalt SDK to zero things out. I see the wiggly cube. I didn't have to use the SAE4.zip.

      gotta go, busy night.

ciao, wfpi

Americo

Re: Success!

Les Howell
On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 15:50 -0400, Americo Damasceno wrote:

> Les,
>
> The CrusoeWeb image is located at the main folder of Cobalt. Like the default
> cobalt.1.image.
>
> The path for any other object is defined at the "initialize" function of the
> CobaltWorld Class.
>
> Until now, our Manual doesn't talk anything about Panels. We are using them at
> our 3D lessons but  will talk about their use only at future lesson.
>
> Our Manual is an "step by step" Manual. And it's a "work in progress".
>
> I know that everybody would like to know everything now :-)
>
> It's the natural anxiety of interested readers. Thanks.

OK, in the CrusoeWeb.changes file I found at line 163636 a reference to
the Content/ directory under Initialize.  So that seems correct.
However, the CrusoeWeb doesn't open correctly still.  It gives the the
error Panel_Scene.obj does not exist error and then the whole thing just
hangs up. The Transcript pane doesn't show any text at all during the
CrusoeWeb open.  Recent submissions only shows the Cobalt recent stuff.
The SqueakDebug.log doesn't mention the panel object or unable to open
anything.  And because the whole environment freezes I can't isolate the
problem using any of the tools.  I really do want to work on and with
Cobalt, but this is simple stuff and there is no indication of where to
go. nor is any error log track made.  The error window doesn't give me
any clue (it would be nice if a search for a file gave the path it
checked in the error message).  The CrusoeWeb.changes file does have the
initialize method in it and reflects "Content/" as the directory being
checked, but doesn't mention the Panel folder.
I will copy the two files up to the Content directory to see if they
work there.

Regards,
Les H

Re: Success!

Les Howell
On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 15:50 -0400, Americo Damasceno wrote:

> Les,
>
> The CrusoeWeb image is located at the main folder of Cobalt. Like the default
> cobalt.1.image.
>
> The path for any other object is defined at the "initialize" function of the
> CobaltWorld Class.
>
> Until now, our Manual doesn't talk anything about Panels. We are using them at
> our 3D lessons but  will talk about their use only at future lesson.
>
> Our Manual is an "step by step" Manual. And it's a "work in progress".
>
> I know that everybody would like to know everything now :-)
>
> It's the natural anxiety of interested readers. Thanks.
Speaking of not reading, I missed that the initialize I first looked at
was from something called a Trover...
Further research of the Crusoe changes got me to line 282694, which
seems to be inside the CrusoeWeb initialize function.
The line that must be causing the problem:
  pn1:= (OBJImporter parseFile:  (FileDirectory pathFromURI:
'SanMinimumCT/panel/panel_Scene.obj') scale:1) asTMesh.

I am now off to locate the SanMinimumCT directory.

Regards,
Les H

Re: Success!

Les Howell
On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 16:51 -0700, Les wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 15:50 -0400, Americo Damasceno wrote:
> > Les,
> >
> > The CrusoeWeb image is located at the main folder of Cobalt. Like the default
> > cobalt.1.image.
> >
> > The path for any other object is defined at the "initialize" function of the
> > CobaltWorld Class.
> >
> > Until now, our Manual doesn't talk anything about Panels. We are using them at
> > our 3D lessons but  will talk about their use only at future lesson.
> >
> > Our Manual is an "step by step" Manual. And it's a "work in progress".
> >
> > I know that everybody would like to know everything now :-)
> >
> > It's the natural anxiety of interested readers. Thanks.
> Speaking of not reading, I missed that the initialize I first looked at
> was from something called a Trover...
> Further research of the Crusoe changes got me to line 282694, which
> seems to be inside the CrusoeWeb initialize function.
> The line that must be causing the problem:
>   pn1:= (OBJImporter parseFile:  (FileDirectory pathFromURI:
> 'SanMinimumCT/panel/panel_Scene.obj') scale:1) asTMesh.
>
> I am now off to locate the SanMinimumCT directory.
>
> Regards,
> Les H

I could not find this anywhere in the Cobalt or Croquet versions I have
downloaded.
Next I attempted to verify the sequence.  I added the line:
Transcript show: 'Found Crusoe Initialize'; cr.
Just before the line referencing the SanMinimumCt panel.  This never
shows up.  However I do get the error message that it cannot find the
panel_Scene.obj file.

This just shouldn't be this hard.

Regards,
Les H

Re: Success!

Les Howell
On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 15:50 -0400, Americo Damasceno wrote:

> Les,
>
> The CrusoeWeb image is located at the main folder of Cobalt. Like the default
> cobalt.1.image.
>
> The path for any other object is defined at the "initialize" function of the
> CobaltWorld Class.
>
> Until now, our Manual doesn't talk anything about Panels. We are using them at
> our 3D lessons but  will talk about their use only at future lesson.
>
> Our Manual is an "step by step" Manual. And it's a "work in progress".
>
> I know that everybody would like to know everything now :-)
>
> It's the natural anxiety of interested readers. Thanks.

After much playing around, I have checked all sorts of things... It
appears that the base Image being called up is seeking some
panel_Scene.obj file that I do not have.  It doesn't appear in the other
Croquet versions I have loaded, nor in the original Cobalt version nor
in the zip files for the cubes, or the objects kit.  Nor can I find any
reference that leads me to figure out what is missing.

Americo, Waufrepi, or anyone, if you know what panel_Scene.obj file I am
missing, please step in here and tell me what I am missing.  I recoded
the CrusoeWeb.changes file to call panel_Scene1.obj, and
panel_scene2.obj.  Neither came up in the error message... it still said
panel_Scene.obj is not found.  Since the windows folks have this working
I have to assume then that it is somewhere in the Windows versions they
are using... yet the information would seem to suggest that we are all
downloading the same file(s).

I can generate some tools of my own, but I would guess that the source
code for the CrusoeWeb.image should be here somewhere.  IF that is so,
or if they are available, where would that be?

Regards,
Les H

Re: Success!

waufrepi III

Hi Les,

     the panel directory should have been included in your CrusoeWeb.image.

but I've zipped one up so you can keep working.....

http://www.waufrepi.com/WebCobalt/panel.zip

else it might be  Linux thing, in which case you would need a Wizard...... I'm just a newbie.

best,

    wfpi