SurfacePlugin questions (reference Mantis 7344)

SurfacePlugin questions (reference Mantis 7344)

David T. Lewis

I'm starting to look at RomePlugin for Mantis 7344 (When pango rendering
preference is used, the vm segfaults in linux 64 bits). RomePlugin uses
SurfacePlugin, which has some pointer-as-int issues to be sorted out.
So two questions:

1) Am I right in thinking that the surface handles in SurfacePlugin
will always be C pointers of one type or another, hence can be declared
as (void *) rather than int?

2) If the above change is propagated through the code, how many plugins
are effected? I see RomePlugin, ExampleSurfacePlugin, QuickTimePlugin,
and B3DAcceleratorPlugin, but are there others e.g. for Croquet?

Thanks,

Dave

Re: SurfacePlugin questions (reference Mantis 7344)

Andreas.Raab

David T. Lewis wrote:
> I'm starting to look at RomePlugin for Mantis 7344 (When pango rendering
> preference is used, the vm segfaults in linux 64 bits). RomePlugin uses
> SurfacePlugin, which has some pointer-as-int issues to be sorted out.
> So two questions:
>
> 1) Am I right in thinking that the surface handles in SurfacePlugin
> will always be C pointers of one type or another, hence can be declared
> as (void *) rather than int?

Yes.

> 2) If the above change is propagated through the code, how many plugins
> are effected? I see RomePlugin, ExampleSurfacePlugin, QuickTimePlugin,
> and B3DAcceleratorPlugin, but are there others e.g. for Croquet?

None that I can think of at this point

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: SurfacePlugin questions (reference Mantis 7344)

Bert Freudenberg

On 05.05.2009, at 07:11, Andreas Raab wrote:

> David T. Lewis wrote:
>> I'm starting to look at RomePlugin for Mantis 7344 (When pango
>> rendering
>> preference is used, the vm segfaults in linux 64 bits). RomePlugin
>> uses
>> SurfacePlugin, which has some pointer-as-int issues to be sorted out.
>> So two questions:
>> 1) Am I right in thinking that the surface handles in SurfacePlugin
>> will always be C pointers of one type or another, hence can be
>> declared
>> as (void *) rather than int?
>
> Yes.
>
>> 2) If the above change is propagated through the code, how many
>> plugins
>> are effected? I see RomePlugin, ExampleSurfacePlugin,
>> QuickTimePlugin,
>> and B3DAcceleratorPlugin, but are there others e.g. for Croquet?
>
> None that I can think of at this point
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

BitBlt I think, but I would need to look at the code.

- Bert -

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 10:11:44PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> >1) Am I right in thinking that the surface handles in SurfacePlugin
> >will always be C pointers of one type or another, hence can be declared
> >as (void *) rather than int?
>
> Yes.
>
> >2) If the above change is propagated through the code, how many plugins
> >are effected? I see RomePlugin, ExampleSurfacePlugin, QuickTimePlugin,
> >and B3DAcceleratorPlugin, but are there others e.g. for Croquet?
>
> None that I can think of at this point

Good, thanks Andreas.

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 11:07:41AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> BitBlt I think, but I would need to look at the code.

I'll check it to be sure.

Dave