Swazoo 2.1 web server released

Janko Mivšek
Dear Squeakers,

New Swazoo 2.1 is released, with an easier startup as a main new
feature. Now you can start simply by:

     SwazooServer startOn: somePort

and Swazoo will start listening on all IP interfaces on your machine. It
will also ignore host in web requests. This is very handy for running
Swazoo behind load balancers and is the same as WAKom startOn: somePort
on Commanche.

This version is also much improved in terms of serving directly to the
wild wild Internet.

It is available here:

   o Damien's squeak-web image: http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-web/
   o Universes: Network, Swazoo version 2.1
   o SqueakSource: http://www.squeaksource.com/Swazoo.html, Releases,
        Swazoo.2.1.mcz

See http://www.swazoo.org for more

Swazoo can be now used as a web server for two web frameworks:

   * Aida/Web: On Squeak and VisualWorks: load version 5.4 or later
   * Seaside 2.8, 2.9: On Squeak load from Universes
        (Web development beta): Seaside-Adapters-Swazoo

For instance, on Damien's squeak-web you can now run both web frameworks
side by side:

   SwazooServer demoStart then open http://localhost:8888
   SwazooSeaside startOn: 8088 then open http://localhost:8088/seaside

Best regards
Janko Mivšek
Maintainer of Swazoo

Re: Swazoo 2.1 web server released

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 1/7/08 8:01 AM, "Janko Mivšek" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
> New Swazoo 2.1 is released, with an easier startup as a main new
> feature. Now you can start simply by:
>
>      SwazooServer startOn: somePort
>
> and Swazoo will start listening on all IP interfaces on your machine. It
> will also ignore host in web requests. This is very handy for running
> Swazoo behind load balancers and is the same as WAKom startOn: somePort
> on Commanche.
>
> This version is also much improved in terms of serving directly to the
> wild wild Internet.
>
> It is available here:
>
>    o Damien's squeak-web image: http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-web/
>    o Universes: Network, Swazoo version 2.1
>    o SqueakSource: http://www.squeaksource.com/Swazoo.html, Releases,
>         Swazoo.2.1.mcz
>
> See http://www.swazoo.org for more
>
> Swazoo can be now used as a web server for two web frameworks:
>
>    * Aida/Web: On Squeak and VisualWorks: load version 5.4 or later
>    * Seaside 2.8, 2.9: On Squeak load from Universes
> (Web development beta): Seaside-Adapters-Swazoo
>
> For instance, on Damien's squeak-web you can now run both web frameworks
> side by side:
>
>    SwazooServer demoStart then open http://localhost:8888
>    SwazooSeaside startOn: 8088 then open http://localhost:8088/seaside
>
> Best regards
> Janko Mivšek
> Maintainer of Swazoo

Janko, maybe you have special list, but I wish know if Swazoo have some
similar to KomAuthDb for authenticate users.

Very thanks

Edgar

Re: Swazoo 2.1 web server released

David Zmick
very cool!  thank you

On Jan 7, 2008 6:40 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

El 1/7/08 8:01 AM, "Janko Mivšek" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
> New Swazoo 2.1 is released, with an easier startup as a main new
> feature. Now you can start simply by:
>
>      SwazooServer startOn: somePort
>
> and Swazoo will start listening on all IP interfaces on your machine. It
> will also ignore host in web requests. This is very handy for running
> Swazoo behind load balancers and is the same as WAKom startOn: somePort
> on Commanche.
>
> This version is also much improved in terms of serving directly to the
> wild wild Internet.
>
> It is available here:
>
>    o Damien's squeak-web image: http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-web/
>    o Universes: Network, Swazoo version 2.1

>    o SqueakSource: http://www.squeaksource.com/Swazoo.html, Releases,
>         Swazoo.2.1.mcz
>
> See http://www.swazoo.org for more
>
> Swazoo can be now used as a web server for two web frameworks:
>
>    * Aida/Web: On Squeak and VisualWorks: load version 5.4 or later
>    * Seaside 2.8, 2.9: On Squeak load from Universes
> (Web development beta): Seaside-Adapters-Swazoo
>
> For instance, on Damien's squeak-web you can now run both web frameworks
> side by side:
>
>    SwazooServer demoStart then open http://localhost:8888
>    SwazooSeaside startOn: 8088 then open http://localhost:8088/seaside
>
> Best regards
> Janko Mivšek
> Maintainer of Swazoo

Janko, maybe you have special list, but I wish know if Swazoo have some
similar to KomAuthDb for authenticate users.

Very thanks

Edgar

Re: Swazoo 2.1 web server released

Janko Mivšek
Hi Edgar,

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Janko, maybe you have special list, but I wish know if Swazoo have some
> similar to KomAuthDb for authenticate users.

Swazoo 1.0 had Basic authentication implemented and Digest one almost
done too, but in 2.x a whole request parsing framework is new and there
was no time yet to reimplement an authentication. If someone is willing
to help here is welcome!

Did you mean such authentication or something else?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

El 1/7/08 1:32 PM, "Janko Mivšek" <[hidden email]> escribió:
> If someone is willing to help here is welcome!
People here are in summer vacations so could be only me at this time.

We look for this selling points.
A Swiki builded on top of Swazoo (maybe plus Aida Web)
A very simple turn based web game.
Server should generate a "pause" or a "step" screen (see later)

> Did you mean such authentication or something else?

I mean some really simply as
ma := ModuleAssembly core.
    coreMod := ma currentModule.

    ma
        logTo: (KomLogger
                on: Transcript).
    authdb := KomAuthDb new.
    authdb addUser: 'Edgar' withPassword: 'squeak'.
    authdb addUser: 'Janko' withPassword: 'swazoo'.

Then In Comanche I check you and me are valid users.

Edgar

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> We look for this selling points.
> A Swiki builded on top of Swazoo (maybe plus Aida Web)

Well, then stay tuned for Aida/Scribo :) Aida/Scribo will be a CMS core
and plugins for wikis, websites, blogs, forums, ...

> A very simple turn based web game.
> Server should generate a "pause" or a "step" screen (see later)
>
>> Did you mean such authentication or something else?
>
> I mean some really simply as
> ma := ModuleAssembly core.
>     coreMod := ma currentModule.
>
>     ma
>         logTo: (KomLogger
>                 on: Transcript).
>     authdb := KomAuthDb new.
>     authdb addUser: 'Edgar' withPassword: 'squeak'.
>     authdb addUser: 'Janko' withPassword: 'swazoo'.
>

> Then In Comanche I check you and me are valid users.

I think user authentication is better served with web frameworks on top
of Swazoo, because it is tightly connected with authorization, access
rights, session management and similar.

We actually thought about that when we started developing Swazoo but
didn't agree on a way how to do that. And time showed that it was better
that authentication stayed out of Swazoo.

Best regards
JAnko