Switch full screen ON to OFF

Gustavo Duarte-2
Hi all,

This post comes from an old thread named as "Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm
4.10". I renamed this topic to be more clear regarding what the problem is.

After followed suggestions by the list on the previous thread, I realize
that the problem isn't on Scratch, instead could be on the squeak-vm.

I did a test, using squeak-vm 4.10 with Squeak3.9a.from3.0.image, when
go to full-screen ON and then switch to OFF, the Squeak is hangs and the
windows turned white.

To figure out whats is happening, at this point, i have (i think so) two
options to following researching:

1) Execute the fullscreen ON-OFF from Workspace.

     I found that full-screen ON-OFF is performed by ScreenController
class and fullScreenOff and fullScreenOn methods.
     How I should call this class from Workspace ?

     I tried something like:

     ScreenController initialize fullScreenOn

     And an exception was arised.

2) This option could be hardest, i guess. Download squeak-vm source, add
debug code on sqUnix11.c and debug it.

I would like to start from option 1, that seems like effortless.

Some another suggestion ?

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo.

Re: Switch full screen ON to OFF

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:02:09PM -0300, Gustavo Duarte wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This post comes from an old thread named as "Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm
> 4.10". I renamed this topic to be more clear regarding what the problem is.
>
> After followed suggestions by the list on the previous thread, I realize
> that the problem isn't on Scratch, instead could be on the squeak-vm.

Eek!

I am seeing exactly the same problem with Squeak 4.5, and it is happening
with both Cog and the standard interpreter VM.

I am using a laptop running Ubuntu. It's hard to believe that nobody would
have noticed this before, so maybe it is specific to the hardware or graphics
drivers.

Gustavo, thanks for bringing this up, and sorry for not paying attention to
your earlier posts. There is certainly a problem here, and it is not related
to Scratch. It also does not seem to be related to any specific version of
the VM. So I'm not sure what is going on here.

Who else is seeing this problem, and on what platform and VM?

Open Squeak, use the full-screen icon on the upper right to put it into full
screen mode, click it again to go back. The result for me is a white screen
and no further response from the image.

Dave

tty

Re: Switch full screen ON to OFF

tty
No Eeks!, flurps, oopsies, fscks or oy's here.

Full screen works just dandy with dual monitors.
Platform is a workstation, NVidia GEForce, Slackware Linux.

Image
-----

Squeak4.5
latest update: #13680
Current Change Set: dude
Image format 6505 (32 bit)

Virtual Machine
---------------
/home/wm/usr/bin/coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2749/squeak
Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.302]
Unix built on Jul 15 2013 15:49:06 Compiler: 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48)
platform sources revision VM: r2749 http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog Plugins: r2545 http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/Cross/plugins
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.302 uuid: 2ac39432-ac54-4584-964e-b129c90792f4 Jul 15 2013
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.302 uuid: 2ac39432-ac54-4584-964e-b129c90792f4 Jul 15 2013

Re: Switch full screen ON to OFF

Karl Ramberg

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Gustavo Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Project current fullScreenOn

Cheers,
Karl

2) This option could be hardest, i guess. Download squeak-vm source, add debug code on sqUnix11.c and debug it.

I would like to start from option 1, that seems like effortless.

Some another suggestion ?

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo.

Re: Switch full screen ON to OFF

Gustavo Duarte-2
Thanks Karl !! I could call fullScreenOn and Off from workspace and same behavior happened, with the only difference that after switching off the display turned up black not white.

But, sadly, this test doesn't gave me more information, no return error debugging information was printed out.

I have to take another approach to find out, what is happening.

Regards.

Gustavo.

[...]

Chris Muller-3
> Eek!
>
> I am seeing exactly the same problem with Squeak 4.5, and it is happening
> with both Cog and the standard interpreter VM.
>
> I am using a laptop running Ubuntu. It's hard to believe that nobody would
> have noticed this before, so maybe it is specific to the hardware or graphics
> drivers.

I'm not having any problems invoking full-screen on and off in 4.5
under Ubuntu..

Re: Switch full screen ON to OFF

Gustavo Duarte-2

Overview
========

I would like make a brief overview of the situation.

In my case, this problem is happening on laptos Magalahes model MG3,
these kind of the machines are manufactured by a Portuguese company,
http://www.jp-ik.com/, focuses on provide laptop for children.

Here in Uruguay there is a country wide Educational Project, called
"Plan Ceibal"[1] [2]. Thousand of these machines were distributed to
children on the schools around all the country.

Until last year 2013, this machines comes with Ubnutu 10.04 installed
and Squeak was working like a charm.

Currently a migration to Ubuntu 12.04 is on deployment stage, and some
of the remaining issues is this (Squeak).

More info about the HW of this Machine [3]

Research results so far:
==========================

I tried get more information, calling fullScreenON and Off from
Worksapce unsessfully, same behavior happened, but no additional data
were printed out.

Now, I will take the another approach, related with a comment did by Tim
Rowledge on the old thread.

<<
"I’d say that strongly suggests a problem in the code setting the screen
mode; you’ll find it (for unix) in platforms/unix/vm-display-
X11/sqUnixX11.c at the function  display_ioSetFullScreen(sqInt
fullScreen). Since it works on many unices and has for a long time I
imagine it means some problem with the specific machine’s display driver
code. That could be all sorts of fun to solve. At the very least you’ll
need to find an X expert, which is not me."

Taking in account, i have never developed on Squeak, my plan would be like:

1) Add debugging cide like "printf" to sqUnix11.c to may debug, and
check if there where the problem

2) Compile Squeak - VM from sourece code, modified.

3) Run Squeak vm with clean Squeak image.

4) See the output of debugging code.

5) With these new clues, i'll ask help to a X expert.

What do you think, that sounds reasonable ?

Is another easier approach ?

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo.

[1] http://www.ceibal.edu.uy
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceibal_project
[3]
http://www.ceibal.edu.uy/art%C3%ADculo/noticias/consultas/hardwaremagallanes3

On 03/17/2014 01:58 PM, gettimothy wrote:

> No Eeks!, flurps, oopsies, fscks or oy's here.
>
> Full screen works just dandy with dual monitors.
> Platform is a workstation, NVidia GEForce, Slackware Linux.
>
> Image
> -----
>
> Squeak4.5
> latest update: #13680
> Current Change Set: dude
> Image format 6505 (32 bit)
>
> Virtual Machine
> ---------------
> /home/wm/usr/bin/coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2749/squeak
> Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.302]
> Unix built on Jul 15 2013 15:49:06 Compiler: 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat
> 4.1.2-48)
> platform sources revision VM: r2749
> http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog Plugins: r2545
> http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/Cross/plugins
> CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.302 uuid:
> 2ac39432-ac54-4584-964e-b129c90792f4 Jul 15 2013
> StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.302 uuid:
> 2ac39432-ac54-4584-964e-b129c90792f4 Jul 15 2013

Re: Switch full screen ON to OFF

Ben Coman
Gustavo Duarte wrote:
Thanks Karl !! I could call fullScreenOn and Off from workspace and same behavior happened, with the only difference that after switching off the display turned up black not white.

But, sadly, this test doesn't gave me more information, no return error debugging information was printed out.

I have to take another approach to find out, what is happening.

Regards.

Gustavo.

When its said there is no further reponse from image, can you try "something like**"...
    Project current fullScreenOn  "**"
    [Delay forSeconds: 1] wait.
    Project current fullScreenOn "**"

** I don't know if this is the correct/best way to call these.
If the image comes back, then you might be able to log stuff to Transcript or some global object before you jump to VM debugging.

cheers -ben

[...]

Ian Piumarta-2
Folks,

Could those of you who have tested this, with either good or bad results, please let me know:

1. which window manager (and version of it) your distribution is using; and

2. what your hardware native screen size is (run 'dpyinfo' and look for root window size).

If I can reproduce this then I can probably fix it.

Thanks!

Regards,
Ian

On Mar 18, 2014, at 00:02 , Gustavo Duarte wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This post comes from an old thread named as "Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm 4.10". I renamed this topic to be more clear regarding what the problem is.
>
> After followed suggestions by the list on the previous thread, I realize that the problem isn't on Scratch, instead could be on the squeak-vm.
>
> I did a test, using squeak-vm 4.10 with Squeak3.9a.from3.0.image, when go to full-screen ON and then switch to OFF, the Squeak is hangs and the windows turned white.
>
> To figure out whats is happening, at this point, i have (i think so) two options to following researching:
>
> 1) Execute the fullscreen ON-OFF from Workspace.
>
>    I found that full-screen ON-OFF is performed by ScreenController class and fullScreenOff and fullScreenOn methods.
>    How I should call this class from Workspace ?
>
>    I tried something like:
>
>    ScreenController initialize fullScreenOn
>
>    And an exception was arised.
>

> 2) This option could be hardest, i guess. Download squeak-vm source, add debug code on sqUnix11.c and debug it.
>

> I would like to start from option 1, that seems like effortless.
>
> Some another suggestion ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gustavo.

Re: Switch full screen ON to OFF

Gustavo Duarte-2
Ian,

Awesome !!

On the laptops Magalhaes:

1) Windows Manager:

 > wmctrl -m

Name: Compiz
Class: N/A
PID: N/A
Window manager's "showing the desktop" mode: OFF

2) xdpyinfo output

screen #0:
   dimensions:    1024x600 pixels (270x158 millimeters)
   resolution:    96x96 dots per inch

Please, let me know if you need more information.

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo.

On 03/17/2014 10:17 PM, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Could those of you who have tested this, with either good or bad results, please let me know:
>
> 1. which window manager (and version of it) your distribution is using; and
>
> 2. what your hardware native screen size is (run 'dpyinfo' and look for root window size).
>
> If I can reproduce this then I can probably fix it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Ian
>
> On Mar 18, 2014, at 00:02 , Gustavo Duarte wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This post comes from an old thread named as "Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm 4.10". I renamed this topic to be more clear regarding what the problem is.
>>
>> After followed suggestions by the list on the previous thread, I realize that the problem isn't on Scratch, instead could be on the squeak-vm.
>>
>> I did a test, using squeak-vm 4.10 with Squeak3.9a.from3.0.image, when go to full-screen ON and then switch to OFF, the Squeak is hangs and the windows turned white.
>>
>> To figure out whats is happening, at this point, i have (i think so) two options to following researching:
>>
>> 1) Execute the fullscreen ON-OFF from Workspace.
>>
>>     I found that full-screen ON-OFF is performed by ScreenController class and fullScreenOff and fullScreenOn methods.
>>     How I should call this class from Workspace ?
>>
>>     I tried something like:
>>
>>     ScreenController initialize fullScreenOn
>>
>>     And an exception was arised.
>>

>> 2) This option could be hardest, i guess. Download squeak-vm source, add debug code on sqUnix11.c and debug it.
>>

>> I would like to start from option 1, that seems like effortless.
>>
>> Some another suggestion ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Gustavo.

Re: Switch full screen ON to OFF

Gustavo Duarte-2
Trying to find out the information asked by Ian, I realized that, on the
same machine,

1) In Gnome we are using Compiz as window manager
2) In Sugar we are using Metacity as window manager.

And as i know that in Sugar Squeak is working fine, and in Ubuntu not. I
changed the window manager on Ubuntu and voila !!, fullscreen on - off
start working like a charm.

So we could strongly affirm, that the problem is an incompatibility with
Compiz and this HW.

Regards.

Gustavo.

On 03/17/2014 11:21 PM, Gustavo Duarte wrote:

> Ian,
>
> Awesome !!
>
> On the laptops Magalhaes:
>
> 1) Windows Manager:
>
>  > wmctrl -m
>
> Name: Compiz
> Class: N/A
> PID: N/A
> Window manager's "showing the desktop" mode: OFF
>

> 2) xdpyinfo output
>
> screen #0:
>    dimensions:    1024x600 pixels (270x158 millimeters)
>    resolution:    96x96 dots per inch
>

> Please, let me know if you need more information.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gustavo.
>

> On 03/17/2014 10:17 PM, Ian Piumarta wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Could those of you who have tested this, with either good or bad
>> results, please let me know:
>>
>> 1. which window manager (and version of it) your distribution is
>> using; and
>>
>> 2. what your hardware native screen size is (run 'dpyinfo' and look
>> for root window size).
>>
>> If I can reproduce this then I can probably fix it.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ian
>>
>> On Mar 18, 2014, at 00:02 , Gustavo Duarte wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This post comes from an old thread named as "Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm
>>> 4.10". I renamed this topic to be more clear regarding what the
>>> problem is.
>>>
>>> After followed suggestions by the list on the previous thread, I
>>> realize that the problem isn't on Scratch, instead could be on the
>>> squeak-vm.
>>>
>>> I did a test, using squeak-vm 4.10 with Squeak3.9a.from3.0.image,
>>> when go to full-screen ON and then switch to OFF, the Squeak is hangs
>>> and the windows turned white.
>>>
>>> To figure out whats is happening, at this point, i have (i think so)
>>> two options to following researching:
>>>
>>> 1) Execute the fullscreen ON-OFF from Workspace.
>>>
>>>     I found that full-screen ON-OFF is performed by ScreenController
>>> class and fullScreenOff and fullScreenOn methods.
>>>     How I should call this class from Workspace ?
>>>
>>>     I tried something like:
>>>
>>>     ScreenController initialize fullScreenOn
>>>
>>>     And an exception was arised.
>>>

>>> 2) This option could be hardest, i guess. Download squeak-vm source,
>>> add debug code on sqUnix11.c and debug it.
>>>

>>> I would like to start from option 1, that seems like effortless.
>>>
>>> Some another suggestion ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Gustavo.

Re: Switch full screen ON to OFF

David T. Lewis
Hi Ian,

I have a desktop computer running KDE on SuSE. Native screen size is 1280x1024. On
this machine, full screen on/off works normally.

If I log on to this same SuSE machine with Gnome, this also works normally.

If I reboot the same machine into Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Unity window manager, I see
the problem as described by Gustavo.

I also have a laptop with Ubuntu 13.10 and Unity window manager. Native screen size
is 1920x1080. This machine also produces the problem as described by Gustavo.

So the problem does not seem to be associated with hardware or screen resolution.
It does seem to happen on Ubuntu with Unity, and on at least two different (recent)
versions of Ubuntu/Unity.

My SuSE system is rather old, so the KDE and Gnome that I tested are also old. The
Ubuntu/Unity systems that I tested are of much more recent vintage.

Dave

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:17:32AM +0900, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Could those of you who have tested this, with either good or bad results, please let me know:
>
> 1. which window manager (and version of it) your distribution is using; and
>
> 2. what your hardware native screen size is (run 'dpyinfo' and look for root window size).
>
> If I can reproduce this then I can probably fix it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Ian
>
> On Mar 18, 2014, at 00:02 , Gustavo Duarte wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This post comes from an old thread named as "Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm 4.10". I renamed this topic to be more clear regarding what the problem is.
> >
> > After followed suggestions by the list on the previous thread, I realize that the problem isn't on Scratch, instead could be on the squeak-vm.
> >
> > I did a test, using squeak-vm 4.10 with Squeak3.9a.from3.0.image, when go to full-screen ON and then switch to OFF, the Squeak is hangs and the windows turned white.
> >
> > To figure out whats is happening, at this point, i have (i think so) two options to following researching:
> >
> > 1) Execute the fullscreen ON-OFF from Workspace.
> >
> >    I found that full-screen ON-OFF is performed by ScreenController class and fullScreenOff and fullScreenOn methods.
> >    How I should call this class from Workspace ?
> >
> >    I tried something like:
> >
> >    ScreenController initialize fullScreenOn
> >
> >    And an exception was arised.
> >

> > 2) This option could be hardest, i guess. Download squeak-vm source, add debug code on sqUnix11.c and debug it.
> >

> > I would like to start from option 1, that seems like effortless.
> >
> > Some another suggestion ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Gustavo.

Re: Switch full screen ON to OFF

David T. Lewis
Hi Gustavo,

The problem with full screen on/off looks like it may be caused by
the X11 window manager in Ubuntu, and I do not know how long it may
take to resolve this in the Squeak VM or in Ubuntu. I see from your
explanation here that the problem may be affecting children in the
Plan Ceibal project already, so it would be good to find a solution
soon.

I think that I have found a workaround for the problem that may help.
I am attaching a change set that you can file in to a Squeak image,
either the Squeak 3.9 image that you mentioned, or any other recent
Squeak 4.5 image. This change uses one of the plugins in the squeak-vm
package on Ubuntu, and it will force a reconnection to the X11 display
after the Squeak window returns from full screen mode.

Can you please try loading this change set into Squeak, and testing
it on an MG3 laptop with Ubuntu 12.04?

I have not tested this yet with Scratch, but if it works on Squeak
with Ubuntu 12.04, then it will probably work with Scratch also.

This is not a real solution to the problem, but if it works on the
laptops for Plan Ciebal then maybe it will help until we are able to
fix the real problem.

Thanks,

Dave

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 06:11:44PM -0300, Gustavo Duarte wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >Image
> >-----
> >
> >Squeak4.5
> >latest update: #13680
> >Current Change Set: dude
> >Image format 6505 (32 bit)
> >
> >Virtual Machine
> >---------------
> >/home/wm/usr/bin/coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2749/squeak
> >Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.302]
> >Unix built on Jul 15 2013 15:49:06 Compiler: 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat
> >4.1.2-48)
> >platform sources revision VM: r2749
> >http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog Plugins: r2545
> >http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/Cross/plugins
> >CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.302 uuid:
> >2ac39432-ac54-4584-964e-b129c90792f4 Jul 15 2013
> >StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.302 uuid:
> >2ac39432-ac54-4584-964e-b129c90792f4 Jul 15 2013

Ubuntu-fullScreen-workaround-dtl.2.cs (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Switch full screen ON to OFF

Gustavo Duarte-2
Hi David,

I applied the change set with Scratch, and the problem remains, it is
strange right ?

Any way, as workaround we are going to change the Window Manager from
Compiz to Metacity on these machines. Using Metacity as Window Manager
this problem is resolved.

Thanks a lot for your workaround, and I agree with you that the
definitve solution should be done on Squeak-vm.

Regards,

Gustavo.

On 03/20/2014 12:27 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Squeak4.5
>>> latest update: #13680
>>> Current Change Set: dude
>>> Image format 6505 (32 bit)
>>>
>>> Virtual Machine
>>> ---------------
>>> /home/wm/usr/bin/coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2749/squeak
>>> Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.302]
>>> Unix built on Jul 15 2013 15:49:06 Compiler: 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat
>>> 4.1.2-48)
>>> platform sources revision VM: r2749
>>> http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog Plugins: r2545
>>> http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/Cross/plugins
>>> CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.302 uuid:
>>> 2ac39432-ac54-4584-964e-b129c90792f4 Jul 15 2013
>>> StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.302 uuid:
>>> 2ac39432-ac54-4584-964e-b129c90792f4 Jul 15 2013

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Switch full screen ON to OFF

Thanks for the update. I am glad that you were able to switch window
managers as a workaround.

I added an entry to our Squeak bug tracker so we will not lose sight of
the problem:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7812

Dave