Synchronizing phy and virtual worlds

KiranMutt
How do i synchronize virtual and physical worlds in Croquet.
Assume that if i need to capture the images shown by a projector in a conference room in Croquet virtual room.
How do i capture the images projected by the projector.

Any pointers is highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Kiran

Re: Synchronizing phy and virtual worlds

Howard Stearns
I'll take this as a question of how to design an application that coordinates a
virtual display (e.g. a slide show or white board within a Croquet space) with a
visual real-world projection of that only that display. (My apologies if I'm
misunderstanding.)

The key point that comes to my mind is that Croquet replicates the semantically
meaningful behavior between all participants -- but rendering is
defined/designed to not be semantically meaningful. In the demos, this means
that each participant gets to render from their own point of view -- i.e., their
own camera position.  Note also that some of the demos actually run different
"applications" for different users, such that one user runs a demo labeled
"master" while others run a demo labeled "participant."  My point is that the
stuff surrounding the island itself can be different for different users.

Using this concept, people have built applications in which one or more of the
participants (but not necessarily all), have a special Camera object that feeds
a special display. This has been done for stereo 3D displays and for "big wall"
displays.

Note also that there are two simple examples of "slide shows" in the EmbeddedApp
code. Neither of these are production-ready, but they do illustrate how to
begin. And there is KMediaText. I do not know of a generalized whiteboard app,
and I think that would be a very very good thing to have.

So putting this all together, I imagine I would just have a Camera object for
one of the participants aimed directly at the slide-show/text/whiteboard, or on
some arrangement of them as an assembly.  The computer running that Croquet
participant would be hooked up to the projector.

If KMediaText were good enough, then you could do the whole thing using the KAT
demo on each computer(including the projector's computer), and just
interactively position the Camera (e.g., by clicking on the down-arrow above the
panel, and selecting View->First Person).  If the slide show demo is good
enough, you could easily add that to the KAT demo. Note that you can
interactively position a movie, a slide show, and text all next to each other,
perpendicular to the camera, and display that view on your projector.

-H

jabber:[hidden email]
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re: Synchronizing phy and virtual worlds

KiranMutt
Thanks for your valuable inputs...It answered my question completely.

Thanks
Kiran