SystemReporter

laza
Although in a feature freeze I would like to add the following as the first entry of the "How to extend the system" workspace:

"Install and open a SystemReporter. You can use this information when sending out bug reports"
(Installer ss project: 'SystemReporter') install: 'SystemReporter'.
(Smalltalk at: #SystemReporter) open

In the light of the upcoming releases and new VMs I think it would be valuable to have something to easily identify a system and the environment it's running in.

Alex

Re: SystemReporter

Hannes Hirzel
On 1/17/11, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the light of the upcoming releases and new VMs I think it would be
> valuable to have something to easily identify a system and the environment
> it's running in.
>
> Alex

+1
In particular as there are many images and VMs around. It will help
reduce traffic on mailing lists.

--Hannes

Re: SystemReporter

Tobias Pape
Am 2011-01-18 um 09:32 schrieb Hannes Hirzel:

> On 1/17/11, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In the light of the upcoming releases and new VMs I think it would be
>> valuable to have something to easily identify a system and the environment
>> it's running in.
>>
>> Alex
>
> +1
> In particular as there are many images and VMs around. It will help
> reduce traffic on mailing lists.

-1.

If we had a developer image, I'd say, put it in there.
But since we have no such "incarnations of squeak images"
—apart from FunSqueak—yet, it should be left in Extending the System.

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: SystemReporter

Hannes Hirzel
What I meant was that it should be included as a load script in
'Extending the System'. (already there by now).

--Hannes

On 1/18/11, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 2011-01-18 um 09:32 schrieb Hannes Hirzel:
>> On 1/17/11, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> In the light of the upcoming releases and new VMs I think it would be
>>> valuable to have something to easily identify a system and the
>>> environment
>>> it's running in.
>>>
>>> Alex
>>
>> +1
>> In particular as there are many images and VMs around. It will help
>> reduce traffic on mailing lists.
>

> -1.
>
> If we had a developer image, I'd say, put it in there.
> But since we have no such "incarnations of squeak images"
> —apart from FunSqueak—yet, it should be left in Extending the System.
>
> So Long,
> -Tobias

Re: SystemReporter

Tobias Pape
Am 2011-01-18 um 21:08 schrieb Hannes Hirzel:
> What I meant was that it should be included as a load script in
> 'Extending the System'. (already there by now).

Well,

+1 then ;)

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: SystemReporter

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 03:14:20PM +0100, Alexander Lazarevi?? wrote:

> Although in a feature freeze I would like to add the following as the first
> entry of the "How to extend the system" workspace:
>
> "Install and open a SystemReporter. You can use this information when
> sending out bug reports"
> (Installer ss project: 'SystemReporter') install: 'SystemReporter'.
> (Smalltalk at: #SystemReporter) open
>
> In the light of the upcoming releases and new VMs I think it would be
> valuable to have something to easily identify a system and the environment
> it's running in.

Are there any objections to the following actions:

- Copy latest SystemReporter from SqueakSource to trunk, and add it to
  the configuration map for trunk.

- Add an "About this System" menu pick in TheWorldMainDockingBar help
  menu to invoke a SystemReporter (if and only if class SystemReporter
  is present in the image), and remove the loading instructions from
  the "Extending the system" workspace.

- Add package SystemReporter to the list of packages removed by
  #unloadAllKnownPackages.

The result of the above changes would be that SystemReporter will be
a readily accessible menu pick for all users, and will be a fully
unloadable and reloadable package so as not to contribute to image
bloat.

If no objections, I will commit the changes to trunk in a day or so.

Thanks to Alex for this enhancement.

Dave

Re: SystemReporter

laza

Absolutely no objections from me. ;)

Thanks for your help Dave. I wasn't sure how to proceed.

Alex

2011/1/19 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 03:14:20PM +0100, Alexander Lazarevi?? wrote:
> Although in a feature freeze I would like to add the following as the first
> entry of the "How to extend the system" workspace:
>
> "Install and open a SystemReporter. You can use this information when
> sending out bug reports"
> (Installer ss project: 'SystemReporter') install: 'SystemReporter'.
> (Smalltalk at: #SystemReporter) open
>
> In the light of the upcoming releases and new VMs I think it would be
> valuable to have something to easily identify a system and the environment
> it's running in.

Are there any objections to the following actions:

- Copy latest SystemReporter from SqueakSource to trunk, and add it to
 the configuration map for trunk.

- Add an "About this System" menu pick in TheWorldMainDockingBar help
 menu to invoke a SystemReporter (if and only if class SystemReporter
 is present in the image), and remove the loading instructions from
 the "Extending the system" workspace.

- Add package SystemReporter to the list of packages removed by
 #unloadAllKnownPackages.

The result of the above changes would be that SystemReporter will be
a readily accessible menu pick for all users, and will be a fully
unloadable and reloadable package so as not to contribute to image
bloat.

If no objections, I will commit the changes to trunk in a day or so.

Thanks to Alex for this enhancement.

Dave

Re: SystemReporter

Chris Muller-3
Adding anything to the Extending the System workspace is not regarded
as a new feature, so that would have been fine.

David's suggestion is somewhat a new feature, but I think we can let
that one slide.  :)