Talking to external executable

Ted Bracht-2
Hi,

Anybody tried 'talking' to another executable from within Dolphin? I've
managed to talk to dll and ActiveX, but I can't find a way to 'talk' to an
executable. I can start it from within Dolphin - KernelLibrary
(#winExec:uCmdShow:) and ShellLibrary (#shellExecute: ...) both let me do
that, but I can't flush info to it nor receive info from it.

Can anybody help please?

Just a simple example, something like 'type c:\autoexec.bat' and then
receive the contents in a stream, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted

Re: Talking to external executable

Bill Schwab
Ted,

> Anybody tried 'talking' to another executable from within Dolphin? I've
> managed to talk to dll and ActiveX, but I can't find a way to 'talk' to an
> executable. I can start it from within Dolphin - KernelLibrary
> (#winExec:uCmdShow:) and ShellLibrary (#shellExecute: ...) both let me do
> that, but I can't flush info to it nor receive info from it.
>
> Can anybody help please?
>
> Just a simple example, something like 'type c:\autoexec.bat' and then
> receive the contents in a stream, would be greatly appreciated.

There are various IPC methods.  What will and won't work depends on the app.
Is it a COM or Automation server?  If so, and if it's properly registered,
then you can create an instance of one of it's objects and the server will
be loaded.  If it's a socket server, then you'll need to get it running some
other way, after which you'll connect and start sending data over sockets.
Files work too, as you've indicated.

Are you tyring to set up your own IPC, or do you have a particular app that
you'd like to control?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Talking to external executable

Ted Bracht-2
Hi Bill,

"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:900d2r$nes$[hidden email]...
> Ted,
>
> > Anybody tried 'talking' to another executable from within Dolphin? I've
> > managed to talk to dll and ActiveX, but I can't find a way to 'talk' to
an
> > executable. I can start it from within Dolphin - KernelLibrary
> > (#winExec:uCmdShow:) and ShellLibrary (#shellExecute: ...) both let me
do
> > that, but I can't flush info to it nor receive info from it.
> >
> > Can anybody help please?
> >
> > Just a simple example, something like 'type c:\autoexec.bat' and then
> > receive the contents in a stream, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> There are various IPC methods.  What will and won't work depends on the
app.
> Is it a COM or Automation server?  If so, and if it's properly registered,
> then you can create an instance of one of it's objects and the server will
> be loaded.  If it's a socket server, then you'll need to get it running
some
> other way, after which you'll connect and start sending data over sockets.
> Files work too, as you've indicated.
>
> Are you tyring to set up your own IPC, or do you have a particular app
that
> you'd like to control?

I'm trying to start a program, jview.exe (a Java command-line loader), with
a Java classpath, a Java class (which is to be executed), a number of
parameters required for that class and a stream of XML data. This Java class
parses and transforms the XML and returns a stream of XML.

I can run it as a batch file or in a command window, output the result to
the command window or to a file, but I need to integrate it in a Smalltalk
application.

See also my thread 'talking to Java'. I must be overlooking something,
because it shouldn't be that difficult. According to Blair it should even be
possible to talk directly to the Java class, but I can't even begin to think
how I could implement that. (I've just mastered the OLE/ActiveX
interfacing).

> Have a good one,
>
> Bill
>
> --