Taming fills - gradient handles

Jerome Peace
Hi Subbu,

I have put a preliminary demo project up at

http://209.143.91.36/super/730

Which implements gradient handles along the lines you
suggested.

Most all the magic is in the long doit. And none of
the new stuff has been set into menu items.

Your suggestions proved very fruitful and I am pleased
with how the handle behaviors turned out.

So any feed back from you or your keen eyed daughter
would be welcome.

Re: Taming fills - gradient handles

Brad Fuller-2
Jerome,

cool ideas. I like it. I don't know what I'd use it for. But, gradients are
cool and pleasing and I'm sure I'd find use for this. It's a nice compliment
to all the other neat things morph do.

On Thu August 16 2007 3:03 pm, Jerome Peace wrote:

> Hi Subbu,
>
> I have put a preliminary demo project up at
>
> http://209.143.91.36/super/730
>
> Which implements gradient handles along the lines you
> suggested.
>
> Most all the magic is in the long doit. And none of
> the new stuff has been set into menu items.
>
> Your suggestions proved very fruitful and I am pleased
> with how the handle behaviors turned out.
>
> So any feed back from you or your keen eyed daughter
> would be welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace

Re: Taming fills - gradient handles

Jerome Peace
Re: Taming fills - gradient handles

Hi Subbu,

Thank you for your response.

--- subbukk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday 17 August 2007 3:33 am, you wrote:
> > Hi Subbu,
> >
> > I have put a preliminary demo project up at
> >
> > http://209.143.91.36/super/730
> Sliding handles in place to change fills is a lot
> easier.

I am not sure what you mean by this. Can you describe
how this differs from what the bowtie handles do?

>It is in consonance
> with Morphic's directness principle.
>
> Could this be made real-time? Currently, the changes
>take effect only on mouse up.

Ah, I was hoping I could get away with that. I had
feared updating per move would slow down the
responsiveness.  Now I guess we’ll have to try it and
find out.

[Some time later...]  I’ve tried various schemes for
real time and concluded it is not good to do this
pass. I agree that realtime is better it is also much
trickier to program if I want to keep the other
features of the handles like adding new ones and
deleting the ones that go off the ends. If deleting
doesn’t wait for mouse up it leads to complications
that would be a project in their own right to fix.

On the other hand I agree with you that realtime would
be nicer. So I will keep it as a goal for a future
pass when the clever part of me figures out a good way
to make it work.

> The fill line should have an explicit origin and
extensible end instead of having symmetric ends.

Ha. And I was so pleased to have figured out how to
make the ends symmetric. We’ll have to try it your way
too.

> BTW, do you know what happened to SVG support in
> Squeak? This is a big gaping
> hole. Any idea why it got dropped?

I am blissfully ignorant of SVG and any efforts by
squeak in that direction. The OPLC crowd is deep in
working with what they’ve got. And the squeak-dev
crowd is deep into the non-graphical applications.  So
I don’t see who might have the interest/resources to
persue SVG for squeak.  Of course with squeak good
things tend to pop out of the woodwork from time to
time. So maybe someone with an itch, time and a patron
will offer something like that.

[Addendum... Brad Fuller has started a UI list. I will
bet at least some of the people on that list will be
curious about SVG].

My progress on this application was in part due to a
five week free period which ends this week.  So
further work will probably be on a slower time scale.

Again, thanks for your comments and help.

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship
answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check
it out.

Re: Re: Taming fills - gradient handles

Jerome Peace
Hi Edgar,

That's interesting.

Leads to a lot of other questions.
Do you know who gvc is?
Where the package might be found?
How old is the package?
And does it work with 3dot9 or 10 or any of the
current universe packages?

I don't really need the answers because I was just
answering Subbu's question. But curiosity is curiosity
so they just came up.

Cheers amigo.

Yours in curiosity and friendship, --Jerome Peace

--- "Edgar J. De Cleene" <[hidden email]>