Team Report: Morphic - December 2005

Juan Vuletich
Hi All,

This is the monthly report from the Morphic Stewards team.
We are in charge of the following packages: Morphic, MorphicExtras, Etoys,
FlexibleVocabularies,
Nebraska, and StarSqueak. Our mailing list is accessible at
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/morphic

About the team
----------------

Our objectives are:
- Split Morphic into several packages that can be unloaded and loaded back
at will. The packages are Morphic, MorphicExtras, Etoys and
some others.
- Maintenance, bug fixing, reviewing other collaborations, etc.
- Help with Morphic support for ToolBuilder.
- Clean Morphic. Remove stuff from basic classes (especially Morph).
- Handle Etoys and other packages to people with specific interest in them.

About last month
-----------------

We published new versions: Morphic 58, MorphicExtras 9 and Etoys 5.
They were loaded in Squeak 3.9a-6708.
They include:
Mantis-1092-MorphDropFix, fix by Edgar De Cleene (edc) and Scott Wallace
(sw)
Mantis-0503-TargetSighting, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
Mantis-1015-SnapView, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
Mantis-1771-ClickExerciser, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
Mantis-1625-Thumbnails, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
Mantis-1484-TrashHalo, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
Mantis-1454-ArrowPrototypeFix, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
Mantis-1347-ListDoubleClick, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
Reviewed by Juan Vuletich (jmv)

About next month
------------------

Our plans for the short term (i.e. this month) are:
- Edgar is working on Nebraska.
- I will review mode stuff from Jerome.
And in general...
- BugFixing
- Look at suggestions and code contributions regarding Morphic
- Integrate what we find to be mature enough
- Enhance support for ToolBuilder

Coda
------

We are open to suggestions and code collaborations. We are specially
interested in code that:
- Optimizes performance
- Fixes bugs
- Simplifies the framework
- Adds new, needed functionality, without adding too much complexity

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

[Morphic] Re: Team Report: Morphic - December 2005

stéphane ducasse-2
Thanks for your work.

- It would be nice to see all the preferences are needed.
- having halomorph not a table in Morph but that we can even at a
single morph level
assign halo would be great. for my book (I patched Morph) I know
someone refactored
that part in the past but the change was lost.
- I could redo and send you some refactorings I did in the past :
(moving halospec (ie how to create
halos from specification) from Preferences class and put them in
HaloMorph.

Let me know if you are interested.

It would be really nice to have a task force to work on the ToolsPlus
tool set. We really believe that this is
an important work that we would like to avoid to lose. Especially
since it will make easier the adoption of Tweak.

> About the team
> ----------------
>
> Our objectives are:
> - Split Morphic into several packages that can be unloaded and
> loaded back at will. The packages are Morphic, MorphicExtras, Etoys
> and
> some others.
> - Maintenance, bug fixing, reviewing other collaborations, etc.
> - Help with Morphic support for ToolBuilder.
> - Clean Morphic. Remove stuff from basic classes (especially Morph).
> - Handle Etoys and other packages to people with specific interest
> in them.
>
> About last month
> -----------------
>
> We published new versions: Morphic 58, MorphicExtras 9 and Etoys 5.
> They were loaded in Squeak 3.9a-6708.
> They include:
> Mantis-1092-MorphDropFix, fix by Edgar De Cleene (edc) and Scott
> Wallace (sw)
> Mantis-0503-TargetSighting, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
> Mantis-1015-SnapView, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
> Mantis-1771-ClickExerciser, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
> Mantis-1625-Thumbnails, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
> Mantis-1484-TrashHalo, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
> Mantis-1454-ArrowPrototypeFix, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
> Mantis-1347-ListDoubleClick, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
> Reviewed by Juan Vuletich (jmv)
>
> About next month
> ------------------
>
> Our plans for the short term (i.e. this month) are:
> - Edgar is working on Nebraska.
> - I will review mode stuff from Jerome.
> And in general...
> - BugFixing
> - Look at suggestions and code contributions regarding Morphic
> - Integrate what we find to be mature enough
> - Enhance support for ToolBuilder
>
> Coda
> ------
>
> We are open to suggestions and code collaborations. We are specially
> interested in code that:
> - Optimizes performance
> - Fixes bugs
> - Simplifies the framework
> - Adds new, needed functionality, without adding too much complexity
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: Team Report: Morphic - December 2005

Hilaire Fernandes-5

What is ToolsPlus?

Re: Team Report: Morphic - December 2005

stéphane ducasse-2
All the common tools have been modified by the Tools team to use the
new framework
abstracting from Morphic details developed by andreas.

Hence you do not do PopUpMenu directly but
        UIManager .... choose:....

This is why making ToolsPLus operational is important since this way
what build with it will be more independent
from Morphic and the dependencies grouped that way will support a
migration towards Tweak (which I hope will happen).

Stef