Terms of Reference: discussion is open

123

Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Phil B

On Nov 5, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> I pointed out to Keith on IRC a while ago that it was simply
> impossible
> for the board to "break the rules" since we have never had any
> rules. He
> has kindly suggested a possible set of such rules and I think that
> is a
> good starting point for a discussion.
>
> In the page in the blog I have added some links to the rules or
> organizations of other Free Software projects. Most other project have
> no rules that I could find and even these are pretty informal.
>
> Given that our community is pretty small, that elections are frequent
> (every 12 months) and that re-elections are very common (most of the
> current board was part of the previous one), I don't think most of the
> proposed rules would help very much. I'll make a brief comment on each
> one:

I generally agree with your interpretation/comments on items 1-8.

> 9) There should be a grievance procedure and an equal opportunities
> policy including disability awareness

> I didn't attempt to paraphrase this because I didn't understand it.

This seems to be two different points (let's call them 9a and 9b
though they should probably really be 9 and 10):

9a) a grievance procedure when someone feels that the preceding terms
have been violated

9b) I *think* he's talking about the Board having some sort of
obligation to attempt to work with limitations of individual
contributors.  Keith made reference several times that he was unable
to take one (or more) course(s) of action being suggested (in IRC) and
at least a couple of board members *seemed* to understand what he was
referring to (either that or they were taking his response at face
value)

The intent of these appears to be to have the Board make
accommodations to the needs of individual contributors and to provide
some sort of recourse to contributors should they believe that things
aren't being handled properly at a finer level of granularity than
'wait for the next election cycle'.

> One thing that Keith mentioned, a "vote of no confidence" followed
> by an
> ad hoc election, didn't get included in this list. Without that I
> don't
> see what the answer could be to "what happens if the rules get
> broken?"

I think a lot of that was/is the result of how the situation was
handled.

> Given that the next election is at most 12 months away and that any ad
> hoc election would probably pick the exact same board that was just
> kicked out, I am against such a rule. But without it, none of the
> others
> "have any teeth".
>
> I would be happy with general principals rather than rules, and the
> board has previous tried to define that:
>
> http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/our-mission/
>
> -- Jecel

I agree that adding a lot of mandatory process and rules probably
wouldn't have changed the outcome of this, or future, situations.

Direction can change for any number of reasons (priorities,
contributors, pressures internal/external, etc.) and when it does,
just have an open and inclusive dialog about what and why things need
to change.  Also, communicating ahead of time with any impacted
parties, publicly or privately, would be a *very* good idea.  Those
seemed to be the key things missing here as it appeared arbitrary, and
frankly, rather cold in how it was carried out.  One can get away with
that approach in a business where (presumably) people are being
compensated to put up with it.  In a volunteer arrangement, not so much.

I appreciate this open discussion taking place.  If nothing else, it
is a worthwhile exercise to discuss Keith's proposal and see what, if
any, changes people would like to see made in light of recent events.

Phil

Re: Squeak direction: Was: Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Miguel Cobá
El vie, 06-11-2009 a las 02:49 +0200, Igor Stasenko escribió:

> 2009/11/6 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>:
> > El vie, 06-11-2009 a las 01:24 +0200, Igor Stasenko escribió:
> >
> >> Needless to say, i'm not satisfied with current state of art.
> >
> > It appears that everybody isn't satisfied but that changes nothing.
> >
> > I think that what the board lacks is a real leadership, not like the
> > leadership we have seen, but a real leadership.
> >
> > One that can envision a glorious future
> > One that can find the indispensable steps that lead to that glorious
> > future.
> > One that risk its popularity and sleeps thinking that the next day can
> > be removed from the throne.
> > One that risk lost part of the troops when following that glorious
> > future.
> > One that values the remaining troops as the ones having the same vision.
> >
> > Which one of these has the Squeak board?
> >
> > It doesn't have a glorious future envisioned for Squeak, that can be
> > expressed in some clear text and not in vague words and statements.
> > It can layout a list of basic steps to reach that goal.
> > It tries to be good with everyone by not taking decisions that could
> > upset some of them.
> > Don't want to loose more troops to bad decisions but they are losing
> > them because it can show them a path to follow.
> >
> > I don't know a lot of history, but it is very hard to believe that
> > Alexander asked the troops if they wanted to go to conquer Asia or to
> > continue to build their beautiful homes and finding new techniques of
> > horse riding.
> >
> > So, the summary appears to me, is that there is no future yet for
> > Squeak.
> >
> Well said.
> But if we talking about glorified historical parallels, lets take a
> look on a few other persons to be more
> objective.
> Napoleon - tried to repeat the glorious deeds of the past, defeated
> and ended up dying alone on distant island.
> Hitler - wanted better, glorious future for Germans, and defeated by
> allies, who didn't shared his view.
>
> And at last one - Chengis Khan. One who built the most powerful empire
> and most biggest one in the history.
> But what is left from this empire? Culture - no. It was assimilated by
> different cultures. Architecture? No.
> We have a lot of architecture remnants from more distant past, but
> nothing worth mentioning from the glorious mongol empire.
> The only thing, which left is a memory about raging mongol cavalry,
> which was a most feared power in the middle ages world.
> And the stories about destruction and mass slaughter, when mongols
> defeating another country and sieze control of it.

Even though the examples are related I think that they are not related
to the problem at hand. The example I put was not about posthumous
leftovers or historic admiration. My example was about contemporary
choice making in order to reach some tangible and concrete goals before
the death comes for us.
With its twenty-something years Alexander was more capable of making
decisions and lead ahead the people in the search of a dream.

I repeat, no matter if the dream is to be accomplished with the help of
gods or by own hand and sweat. Isn't also about if the future persons
will qualify good or bad its own decisions. He just want to fulfill a
dream before dying.

What is the dream of Squeak before dying?
Whom is to lead the hordes to reach that dream before the times change
and the historians study it as a simple academic, incomplete and
dead-before-time effort?

Better to die trying something magnificent and unreachable that deciding
where to go and what to do.

> Yes, of course, we could wear the dictatorship crowns and start
> fighting with watermills, losing the troops.
> But i fear this doesnt makes our chances any better to become the
> glorious and successfull.

Even Don Quixote went for its crazy dreams. That is not something you
can deny him. The action by itself it is worth the effort.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Casey Ransberger
I was in the process of giving up. I wasn't particularly active on the
lists, but I didn't see anything happening either. The Pharo guys were
kicking ass and taking names, and the main Squeak group were muttering
amongst themselves without a release or even an update stream in
sight.

When the announcement that there was going to be a trunk repository
and a contrib repository was made, I suddenly had hope again. The fact
that there was a two-man release team that I didn't even know about
(being a noob, I guess) didn't make a whit of difference to me,
because they weren't shipping anything.

It's gravy now. I *love* clicking on the update button, and waiting
for something to break. Monticello still kinda sucks, but we'll fix
that eventually. The future is wide open and all that glitters is
gold.

Now we just need an MIT image.

REAL ARTISTS SHIP

Ron

Re: Squeak direction: Was: Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Miguel,

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:

> With its twenty-something years Alexander was more capable of making
> decisions and lead ahead the people in the search of a dream.
>
> I repeat, no matter if the dream is to be accomplished with the help of
> gods or by own hand and sweat. Isn't also about if the future persons
> will qualify good or bad its own decisions. He just want to fulfill a
> dream before dying.
>
> What is the dream of Squeak before dying?
> Whom is to lead the hordes to reach that dream before the times change
> and the historians study it as a simple academic, incomplete and
> dead-before-time effort?
>
> Better to die trying something magnificent and unreachable that deciding
> where to go and what to do.
>
> Even Don Quixote went for its crazy dreams. That is not something you
> can deny him. The action by itself it is worth the effort.
>

>>> Thanks for the answers
>>> --
>>> Miguel Cobá
>>> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Hey, nice talk. Now, what are your own great dreams with Squeak? What
are you doing to pursue them?

I can tell you about mine. Or you can read in this list and my web page
about Cuis and Morphic 3. I can tell about Bert, Yoshiki and VPRI
(Etoys, OLPC, FONC). I can tell about Andreas (Balloon 3D, Tweak,
Croquet, Teleplace). I can tell about Gulik (the Unnamed Grand Project).
Same for many others here. What about you?

This community can only achieve what its members actually do. For
instance, the last 2 years I gave up about 1/3 of the money I was making
just to have time to work on Cuis, Morphic 3 and to contribute to
Squeak. You can see some of the results of that in the trunk. What about
you?

And no, thanks. We don't need yet another non-contributing visionary.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Squeak direction: Was: Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 11/6/09 8:22 AM, "Juan Vuletich" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Even Don Quixote went for its crazy dreams. That is not something you
>> can deny him. The action by itself it is worth the effort.

Grande Juan, segui con tu maravilloso trabajo.
Como diria Don Quijote, ladran Sancho, señal que cabalgamos.

Edgar

Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Ronald Spengler wrote:
> When the announcement that there was going to be a trunk repository
> and a contrib repository was made, I suddenly had hope again. The fact
> that there was a two-man release team that I didn't even know about
> (being a noob, I guess) didn't make a whit of difference to me,
> because they weren't shipping anything.

There was actually a one man release team (Matthew for 4.0) and another
two man release team (Keith and Matthew for 3.11), and though they both
were very busy with other things in their lives I think the board's
position (which I fully agreed with) that the relicensing was the
priority and new development would complicate it was the main cause of
the seeming lack of progress in Squeak. And I actually looked at the
archives of the Pharo mailing list at the time and compared it with the
number of entries on Mantis and found out that though they seemed very
different, the level of activity in both projects was comparable.

Unfortunately, appearance can matter more than reality. The *right*
thing for the board to have done would be to talk to Matthew and Keith
about the new direction, have a final vote in the following meeting and
then announce it here. Letting Keith find out with everybody else was
bad, so I see where the scheme explained by Phil would come in. But my
impression at the time was that two weeks of silence on squeak-dev (to
wait for the next board meeting) would cause lots of people to leave and
they might not later hear about the new process and decide to come back.
So I voted we do the wrong thing instead (the needs of the many outweigh
the needs of the few and that sort of thing) and still stand by that
decision.

I can't imagine some higher authority defending a developer from the
board even if this episode shows the need for something like that. So
the alternative is to complain about anything you don't like here on
squeak-dev. That has been done and even though there seemed to be no
immediate results it might have an effect (or not) in the next election.

-- Jecel

El vie, 06-11-2009 a las 07:22 -0300, Juan Vuletich escribió:

> Hey, nice talk. Now, what are your own great dreams with Squeak? What
> are you doing to pursue them?

I must say that I am not as great programmer as Andreas or Yoshiki or
any other you list. But that is not the point. The 90% of the squeak
subscribers aren't and that is not to be ashamed. So I'm not.
If we can't write a new Morphic or a Ballon 3d or whatever that doesn't
mean that we don't want or could contribute to squeak.

Besides, Tweak, Etoys, UGP aren't the squeak future or goals, but
projects built on top of Squeak.

My question, in simple terms is, what are the goals of Squeak. Something
like, for example:

- minimal under 10 MB core image.
- Etoys removal
- All packages removed from image and easily loaded from squeak source
- In core only collections, compiler, kernel and I/O.
- Purge of squeaksource or new squeak source with maintained packages
- fix of squeakmap mess
- new framework for managing packages/dependencies/configuration
(sake/packages, metacello, other) in next minimal squeak core

Things like that.
They are only examples. But show to those that want to contribute what
points are the most important to aim for the next Squeak version.

It has been said many times that 3.11 is all about tool but, for the
common, unsavy squeak list subscriber, what are the tools, what can be
help, maybe not code but documentation, blog posts, publicity,
announcing.

I could never make my own Squeak version like you, but that doesn't
means that I couldn't help by promoting squeak and making tutorials and
in general making the world aware of this little thing called Squeak
that I think that is marvelous but I can also note that _nobody_ knows
and use. I would like to help fix that but that attitude of *we are
doing good and we don't need that a newbie that hasn't contributed
anything the size of Cuis, Etoys, Croquet ask anything about the squeak
future* doesn't help and only push the people to other forks with more
*visible* future stablished.

> I can tell you about mine. Or you can read in this list and my web page
> about Cuis and Morphic 3. I can tell about Bert, Yoshiki and VPRI
> (Etoys, OLPC, FONC). I can tell about Andreas (Balloon 3D, Tweak,
> Croquet, Teleplace). I can tell about Gulik (the Unnamed Grand Project).
> Same for many others here. What about you?
>
> This community can only achieve what its members actually do. For
> instance, the last 2 years I gave up about 1/3 of the money I was making
> just to have time to work on Cuis, Morphic 3 and to contribute to
> Squeak. You can see some of the results of that in the trunk. What about
> you?
>
> And no, thanks. We don't need yet another non-contributing visionary.

Pity for the 90% of squeak list subscribers. We are not as smart to
pertain to this community

Thanks for your time.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

El vie, 06-11-2009 a las 09:55 -0200, Edgar J. De Cleene escribió:

> On 11/6/09 8:22 AM, "Juan Vuletich" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> Even Don Quixote went for its crazy dreams. That is not something you
> >> can deny him. The action by itself it is worth the effort.
>
> Grande Juan, segui con tu maravilloso trabajo.
> Como diria Don Quijote, ladran Sancho, señal que cabalgamos.

Bueno bueno, si cabalgar es lo que hace Squeak desde hace 6 meses,
tenemos una idea muy distinta de lo que es cabalgar. Al menos cabalgar
hacia adelante y no en circulos.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Squeak direction: Was: Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Miguel Cobá
El vie, 06-11-2009 a las 07:22 -0300, Juan Vuletich escribió:

Well, unfortunately this thread hasn't got any good results. So I
apologize for asking and thanks for all the answers.

I will not argue more.

Cheers
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Ken G. Brown
IMHO, such smart guys that are doing the majority of contributions to trunk could have figured out the way forward with Keith's established future methodology using Installer, Sake/Packages, Bob the Builder, MC 1.5/1.6 in about ten minutes.  Some were already up to speed on the way forward. They could then have contributed fixes to the tools for that methodology where required and we would be now in the future instead of stuck in the past, forked yet again with the old trunk methodology (it's not a 'new' development model) that got us into the difficulties in the first place.

Ken G. Brown

At 2:23 PM -0300 11/6/09, Jecel Assumpcao Jr apparently wrote:

> [...]

Re: Squeak direction: Was: Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Juan Vuletich-4
Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:

> My question, in simple terms is, what are the goals of Squeak. Something
> like, for example:
>
> - minimal under 10 MB core image.
> - Etoys removal
> - All packages removed from image and easily loaded from squeak source
> - In core only collections, compiler, kernel and I/O.
> - Purge of squeaksource or new squeak source with maintained packages
> - fix of squeakmap mess
> - new framework for managing packages/dependencies/configuration
> (sake/packages, metacello, other) in next minimal squeak core
>
> Things like that.
> They are only examples. But show to those that want to contribute what
> points are the most important to aim for the next Squeak version.

Asking that kind of questions is quite ok with me. Saying (quoting you):

[...]

"there is no real advance on squeak any different than before, when
everyone walk in its own direction, just like the trunk commits show the
personal itches being scratched by each commiter."

"From some weeks to date I have been wondering what is the point of so
many little and not so little random fixes going to trunk (not
minimizing the effort or quality of them, that they indeed have). I have
entered the Squeak page and nowhere could I find a single sentence about
the goals that motivated so may changes.

Are they trying to fix Monticello (fix what)?
Are they trying to fix input (unicode, japanese, russian, what?)?
Are they trying to fix collections (were they broken?)?
Are they trying to get some social results by experimenting with the
number of automated mails about said fixes and reactions of people?"

and not being able / willing to help is quite not ok with me.

> It has been said many times that 3.11 is all about tool but, for the
> common, unsavy squeak list subscriber, what are the tools, what can be
> help, maybe not code but documentation, blog posts, publicity,
> announcing.
>
> I could never make my own Squeak version like you, but that doesn't
> means that I couldn't help by promoting squeak and making tutorials and
> in general making the world aware of this little thing called Squeak
> that I think that is marvelous but I can also note that _nobody_ knows
> and use. I would like to help fix that but that attitude of *we are
> doing good and we don't need that a newbie that hasn't contributed
> anything the size of Cuis, Etoys, Croquet ask anything about the squeak
> future* doesn't help and only push the people to other forks with more
> *visible* future stablished.

I guess you can at least read this list. The answers to your questions
"(fix what)? (unicode, japanese, russian, what?)? (were they
broken?)?"are all available for you to read.

>> I can tell you about mine. Or you can read in this list and my web page
>> about Cuis and Morphic 3. I can tell about Bert, Yoshiki and VPRI
>> (Etoys, OLPC, FONC). I can tell about Andreas (Balloon 3D, Tweak,
>> Croquet, Teleplace). I can tell about Gulik (the Unnamed Grand Project).
>> Same for many others here. What about you?
>>
>> This community can only achieve what its members actually do. For
>> instance, the last 2 years I gave up about 1/3 of the money I was making
>> just to have time to work on Cuis, Morphic 3 and to contribute to
>> Squeak. You can see some of the results of that in the trunk. What about
>> you?
>>
>> And no, thanks. We don't need yet another non-contributing visionary.
>>

> Pity for the 90% of squeak list subscribers. We are not as smart to
> pertain to this community

I don't think that 90% of the list subscribers think like you. But
that's not the point at all.

I'm not trying to show if some of us are smarter than others or not. I'm
showing you that some of us have our dreams and plans. And we work
towards them. For good or bad, that's the only way to get things done here.

Finally I don't think that your "90%" if the list does not belong here.
What I said is that we don't need yet another visionary trying to show
us the way to the future, and at the same time admitting they know so
little about Squeak that they can't contribute. Believe it or not, we
have seen this attitude dozens of times in the past.

> Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Squeak direction: Was: Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Igor Stasenko
> [...]

> *visible* future stablished.
>

>> I can tell you about mine. Or you can read in this list and my web page
>> about Cuis and Morphic 3. I can tell about Bert, Yoshiki and VPRI
>> (Etoys, OLPC, FONC). I can tell about Andreas (Balloon 3D, Tweak,
>> Croquet, Teleplace). I can tell about Gulik (the Unnamed Grand Project).
>> Same for many others here. What about you?
>>
>> This community can only achieve what its members actually do. For
>> instance, the last 2 years I gave up about 1/3 of the money I was making
>> just to have time to work on Cuis, Morphic 3 and to contribute to
>> Squeak. You can see some of the results of that in the trunk. What about
>> you?
>>
>> And no, thanks. We don't need yet another non-contributing visionary.
>>

> Pity for the 90% of squeak list subscribers. We are not as smart to

you are smart enough to see the Squeak's shortest reachable goals
(listed above) in same way as i do.
Manifest the plan and milestones , and i (and i hope many others) will
support you.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Bert Freudenberg
On 06.11.2009, at 18:46, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> IMHO, such smart guys that are doing the majority of contributions
> to trunk could have figured out the way forward with Keith's
> established future methodology using Installer, Sake/Packages, Bob
> the Builder, MC 1.5/1.6 in about ten minutes.  Some were already up
> to speed on the way forward. They could then have contributed fixes
> to the tools for that methodology where required and we would be now
> in the future instead of stuck in the past, forked yet again with
> the old trunk methodology (it's not a 'new' development model) that
> got us into the difficulties in the first place.
>
> Ken G. Brown

If it all sounds so easy (which in fact it wasn't, neither for the
board members nor the community at large half a year ago) then why
don't you contribute a tool everybody can use to easily harvest Mantis
fixes into Trunk? Or add Installer support for trunk development? Or
set up a Bob server to churn out ready-built trunk images and test
results? Or make a trunk image with MC 1.5/1.6?

It may take you more then 10 minutes but *that* might get us moved
forward even faster. Trunk development does progress fine, but we're
all for improved tools and processes, so let's see them.

And now back to the discussion at hand, shall we? Otherwise please
change the subject.

- Bert -

2009/11/6 Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]>:
> IMHO, such smart guys that are doing the majority of contributions to trunk could have figured out the way forward with Keith's established future methodology using Installer, Sake/Packages, Bob the Builder, MC 1.5/1.6 in about ten minutes.  Some were already up to speed on the way forward. They could then have contributed fixes to the tools for that methodology where required and we would be now in the future instead of stuck in the past, forked yet again with the old trunk methodology (it's not a 'new' development model) that got us into the difficulties in the first place.

Ken, as i said before, i would be really happy to have MC 1.6 adopted
by trunk and pharo.
And given the feedback of other people, they want it too.
I think that MC should be a standalone project, which can be loaded to
virtually any squeak fork.
But we need people who actively maintaining it and improving it.
And definitely, MC should be not a core part of system. It should be
made optional, as any other non-kernel part of system.

Once this will happen, we could move forward and adopt next tools &
methodology. Step by step.

So, Ken, if you think you are motivated enough, step forward and make
an offer to community.
And we can discuss the plan & organization of MC maintenance. Because
its really bad that such critical part of system,
which used by multiple forks, don't have any central comitte, which
watching the progress, pushing the fixes and moving it forward.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Squeak direction: Was: Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Ken Causey-3
On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 02:49 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Yes, of course, we could wear the dictatorship crowns and start
> fighting with watermills, losing the troops.
> But i fear this doesn't makes our chances any better to become the
> glorious and successful.

+1

I really prefer my leaders removing barriers and getting out of the way
and letting me go where and do what I want.

Ken

Re: Squeak direction: Was: Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 11/6/09 3:30 PM, "Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> - minimal under 10 MB core image.
> - Etoys removal
Both was done in SqueakLightII and in MinimalMorphic

http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/SqueakLight/MinimalMorphic.7246.zip

It's my last. Currently I work on it and resurrecting Fenix
http://img262.imageshack.us/i/trunkfenixegg.jpg/

MinimalMorphic.7246.image is 7.3 mb on my Mac

MinimalMorphic was started by Pavel Krivanek and I add all crazy ideas
coming of SqueakLightII and good ones coming from trunk (but not all)

Fenix was Alejandro Reimondo idea, I hope soon I could produce valid micro
images , this time coming from up to date trunk 3.10.2.

Edgar

At 7:15 PM +0100 11/6/09, Bert Freudenberg apparently wrote:
>On 06.11.2009, at 18:46, Ken G. Brown wrote:
>
>>IMHO, such smart guys that are doing the majority of contributions to trunk could have figured out the way forward with Keith's established future methodology using Installer, Sake/Packages, Bob the Builder, MC 1.5/1.6 in about ten minutes.  Some were already up to speed on the way forward. They could then have contributed fixes to the tools for that methodology where required and we would be now in the future instead of stuck in the past, forked yet again with the old trunk methodology (it's not a 'new' development model) that got us into the difficulties in the first place.
>>
>>Ken G. Brown
>
>If it all sounds so easy (which in fact it wasn't, neither for the board members nor the community at large half a year ago) then why don't you contribute a tool everybody can use to easily harvest Mantis fixes into Trunk? Or add Installer support for trunk development? Or set up a Bob server to churn out ready-built trunk images and test results? Or make a trunk image with MC 1.5/1.6?

I believe you are looking at this the wrong way around. The trunk started at an old position.
As you surely know, latest Installer, lpf and Sake/packages are already in the latest ftp.squeak.org/3.11/Squeak3.10.2-lpf or ftp.squeak.org/3.11/Squeak3.10.2-lpf-atomic/, ready to go for Bob the Builder. If the trunk additions were added to the latest, using Sake/Packages I believe we would have something. Andreas and I showed that the trunk repository gets quite far along loading into Keith's latest but with hacks required to overcome the divergence that trunk has taken. Someone with the intimate knowledge of what is going wrong could most likely fix the remaining issue/issues easily.  Adding lpf, MC 1.5/1.6 etc. to trunk, just continues the divergence.

>It may take you more then 10 minutes but *that* might get us moved forward even faster. Trunk development does progress fine, but we're all for improved tools and processes, so let's see them.

You only need to look at Keith's documentation, videos, and emails to see where it is all at. He has explained this all in my opinion in enough detail over and over again.

Ken G. Brown

>And now back to the discussion at hand, shall we? Otherwise please change the subject.
>
>- Bert -

Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 7:15 PM +0100 11/6/09, Bert Freudenberg apparently wrote:
>On 06.11.2009, at 18:46, Ken G. Brown wrote:
>
>>IMHO, such smart guys that are doing the majority of contributions to trunk could have figured out the way forward with Keith's established future methodology using Installer, Sake/Packages, Bob the Builder, MC 1.5/1.6 in about ten minutes.  Some were already up to speed on the way forward. They could then have contributed fixes to the tools for that methodology where required and we would be now in the future instead of stuck in the past, forked yet again with the old trunk methodology (it's not a 'new' development model) that got us into the difficulties in the first place.
>>
>>Ken G. Brown
>
>If it all sounds so easy (which in fact it wasn't, neither for the board members nor the community at large half a year ago) then why don't you contribute a tool everybody can use to easily harvest Mantis fixes into Trunk? Or add Installer support for trunk development? Or set up a Bob server to churn out ready-built trunk images and test results? Or make a trunk image with MC 1.5/1.6?

I believe you are looking at this the wrong way around. The trunk started at an old position.
As you surely know, latest Installer, lpf and Sake/packages are already in the latest ftp.squeak.org/3.11/Squeak3.10.2-lpf or ftp.squeak.org/3.11/Squeak3.10.2-lpf-atomic/, ready to go for Bob the Builder. If the trunk additions were added to the latest, using Sake/Packages I believe we would have something. Andreas and I showed that the trunk repository gets quite far along loading into Keith's latest but with hacks required to overcome the divergence that trunk has taken. Someone with the intimate knowledge of what is going wrong could most likely fix the remaining issue/issues easily.  Adding lpf, MC 1.5/1.6 etc. to trunk, just continues the divergence.

>It may take you more then 10 minutes but *that* might get us moved forward even faster. Trunk development does progress fine, but we're all for improved tools and processes, so let's see them.

You only need to look at Keith's documentation, videos, and emails to see where it is all at. He has explained this all in my opinion in enough detail over and over again.

We've already been over this.  A disparate set of communications is inadequate.  It is too onerous to try and understand the system from a long and multi-media thread.  This needs to be committed to some web pages, e.g. a wiki.

Ken G. Brown

>And now back to the discussion at hand, shall we? Otherwise please change the subject.
>
>- Bert -

Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Douglas Brebner
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 06.11.2009, at 18:46, Ken G. Brown wrote:
>
>> IMHO, such smart guys that are doing the majority of contributions to
>> trunk could have figured out the way forward with Keith's established
>> future methodology using Installer, Sake/Packages, Bob the Builder,
>> MC 1.5/1.6 in about ten minutes.  Some were already up to speed on
>> the way forward. They could then have contributed fixes to the tools
>> for that methodology where required and we would be now in the future
>> instead of stuck in the past, forked yet again with the old trunk
>> methodology (it's not a 'new' development model) that got us into the
>> difficulties in the first place.
>>
>> Ken G. Brown
>
> If it all sounds so easy (which in fact it wasn't, neither for the
> board members nor the community at large half a year ago) then why
> don't you contribute a tool everybody can use to easily harvest Mantis
> fixes into Trunk? Or add Installer support for trunk development? Or
> set up a Bob server to churn out ready-built trunk images and test
> results? Or make a trunk image with MC 1.5/1.6?
>
> It may take you more then 10 minutes but *that* might get us moved
> forward even faster. Trunk development does progress fine, but we're
> all for improved tools and processes, so let's see them.
>

>From what I understand from talking to Keith, the very first step of his
new process was: "Throw away the trunk method and replace it in-toto"

At 12:00 PM -0800 11/6/09, Eliot Miranda apparently wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Ken G. Brown <<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>At 7:15 PM +0100 11/6/09, Bert Freudenberg apparently wrote:
>>On 06.11.2009, at 18:46, Ken G. Brown wrote:
>>
>>>IMHO, such smart guys that are doing the majority of contributions to trunk could have figured out the way forward with Keith's established future methodology using Installer, Sake/Packages, Bob the Builder, MC 1.5/1.6 in about ten minutes.  Some were already up to speed on the way forward. They could then have contributed fixes to the tools for that methodology where required and we would be now in the future instead of stuck in the past, forked yet again with the old trunk methodology (it's not a 'new' development model) that got us into the difficulties in the first place.
>>>
>>>Ken G. Brown
>>
>>If it all sounds so easy (which in fact it wasn't, neither for the board members nor the community at large half a year ago) then why don't you contribute a tool everybody can use to easily harvest Mantis fixes into Trunk? Or add Installer support for trunk development? Or set up a Bob server to churn out ready-built trunk images and test results? Or make a trunk image with MC 1.5/1.6?
>
>I believe you are looking at this the wrong way around. The trunk started at an old position.
>As you surely know, latest Installer, lpf and Sake/packages are already in the latest <http://ftp.squeak.org/3.11/Squeak3.10.2-lpf>ftp.squeak.org/3.11/Squeak3.10.2-lpf or <http://ftp.squeak.org/3.11/Squeak3.10.2-lpf-atomic/>ftp.squeak.org/3.11/Squeak3.10.2-lpf-atomic/, ready to go for Bob the Builder. If the trunk additions were added to the latest, using Sake/Packages I believe we would have something. Andreas and I showed that the trunk repository gets quite far along loading into Keith's latest but with hacks required to overcome the divergence that trunk has taken. Someone with the intimate knowledge of what is going wrong could most likely fix the remaining issue/issues easily.  Adding lpf, MC 1.5/1.6 etc. to trunk, just continues the divergence.
>

>>It may take you more then 10 minutes but *that* might get us moved forward even faster. Trunk development does progress fine, but we're all for improved tools and processes, so let's see them.
>
>You only need to look at Keith's documentation, videos, and emails to see where it is all at. He has explained this all in my opinion in enough detail over and over again.
>

>We've already been over this.  A disparate set of communications is inadequate.  It is too onerous to try and understand the system from a long and multi-media thread.  This needs to be committed to some web pages, e.g. a wiki.

For a while (before trunk), I was saving pertinent emails to a blog at <http://squeaktipsandtrickswatch.blogspot.com/>. Some things have changed with Keith's stuff since but relatively minor I think. One could ask him if really interested.
Here is Keith's video from 4 months ago http://www.vimeo.com/groups/squeak/videos/5434330 showing  how to use Sake/Packages to load AND unload Seaside 3.0.

Ken G. Brown

>Ken G. Brown
>

>>And now back to the discussion at hand, shall we? Otherwise please change the subject.
>>
>>- Bert -

123