Terse Guide to Squeak

summae3443

When I tried to program a table lookup using the usually very helpful Terse Guide, I noticed a couple of things...

1. The remark for detect: is "find position of first element that passes test" but it should be "return first element that passes test"

 2. There seems to be no alternative in the guide for finding the first element that passes a test. After some archaeology ;) I found SequenceableCollection>>findFirst: which is useful for table lookups.

I updated TerseGuideHelp class to change the remark for detect: wherever it occurs and added findFirst: to Array, OrderedCollection, SortedCollection, and Interval. How can I contribute this to the All-In-One?

Dan Norton

Re: Terse Guide to Squeak

Bert Freudenberg
On 04.10.2014, at 18:56, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I tried to program a table lookup using the usually very helpful Terse Guide, I noticed a couple of things...
>
> 1. The remark for detect: is "find position of first element that passes test" but it should be "return first element that passes test"
>
>  2. There seems to be no alternative in the guide for finding the first element that passes a test. After some archaeology ;) I found SequenceableCollection>>findFirst: which is useful for table lookups.
>
> I updated TerseGuideHelp class to change the remark for detect: wherever it occurs and added findFirst: to Array, OrderedCollection, SortedCollection, and Interval. How can I contribute this to the All-In-One?

You submit the changed package via Monticello.

I made a how-to video a while ago, the relevant part is from 1:20 to 4:00:

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QKmfI4taGo#t=1m20s

This is for Etoys, but the difference is really just the repository names - you submit to "inbox". Should only take 3 minutes :)

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Terse Guide to Squeak

summae3443
Thanks, Bert. The hard part was to get etoysinbox added as a repository. The upload took place, AFIK.

- Dan
>> When I tried to program a table lookup using the usually very helpful Terse Guide, I noticed a couple of things...
>>
>> 1. The remark for detect: is "find position of first element that passes test" but it should be "return first element that passes test"
>>
>> 2. There seems to be no alternative in the guide for finding the first element that passes a test. After some archaeology ;) I found SequenceableCollection>>findFirst: which is useful for table lookups.
>>
>> I updated TerseGuideHelp class to change the remark for detect: wherever it occurs and added findFirst: to Array, OrderedCollection, SortedCollection, and Interval. How can I contribute this to the All-In-One?
>

>You submit the changed package via Monticello.
>
>I made a how-to video a while ago, the relevant part is from 1:20 to 4:00:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QKmfI4taGo#t=1m20s
>
>This is for Etoys, but the difference is really just the repository names - you submit to "inbox". Should only take 3 minutes :)
>
>- Bert -

Re: Terse Guide to Squeak

Bert Freudenberg
On 05.10.2014, at 03:36, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks, Bert. The hard part was to get etoysinbox added as a repository. The upload took place, AFIK.

- Dan

It did. Except I wrote you should submit to "inbox", not "etoysinbox", because this is for general Squeak, not Etoys.

But I moved it from the Etoys inbox to the regular inbox now.

- Bert -

>> When I tried to program a table lookup using the usually very helpful Terse Guide, I noticed a couple of things...
>>
>> 1. The remark for detect: is "find position of first element that passes test" but it should be "return first element that passes test"
>>
>> 2. There seems to be no alternative in the guide for finding the first element that passes a test. After some archaeology ;) I found SequenceableCollection>>findFirst: which is useful for table lookups.
>>
>> I updated TerseGuideHelp class to change the remark for detect: wherever it occurs and added findFirst: to Array, OrderedCollection, SortedCollection, and Interval. How can I contribute this to the All-In-One?
>

>You submit the changed package via Monticello.
>
>I made a how-to video a while ago, the relevant part is from 1:20 to 4:00:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QKmfI4taGo#t=1m20s
>
>This is for Etoys, but the difference is really just the repository names - you submit to "inbox". Should only take 3 minutes :)
>
>- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Terse Guide to Squeak

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 11:57:35AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 05.10.2014, at 03:36, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Bert. The hard part was to get etoysinbox added as a repository. The upload took place, AFIK.
> >
> > - Dan
>
> It did. Except I wrote you should submit to "inbox", not "etoysinbox", because this is for general Squeak, not Etoys.
>
> But I moved it from the Etoys inbox to the regular inbox now.

Thank you Dan,

This is moved to trunk, so your updates will be in Squeak from now on.

Dave

Re: Terse Guide to Squeak

Raymond Asselin-4
And in the examples the conform: method  doesn't exist in squeak

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 2014-10-04 à 21:36, [hidden email] a écrit :

Thanks, Bert. The hard part was to get etoysinbox added as a repository. The upload took place, AFIK.

- Dan
>> When I tried to program a table lookup using the usually very helpful Terse Guide, I noticed a couple of things...
>>
>> 1. The remark for detect: is "find position of first element that passes test" but it should be "return first element that passes test"
>>
>> 2. There seems to be no alternative in the guide for finding the first element that passes a test. After some archaeology ;) I found SequenceableCollection>>findFirst: which is useful for table lookups.
>>
>> I updated TerseGuideHelp class to change the remark for detect: wherever it occurs and added findFirst: to Array, OrderedCollection, SortedCollection, and Interval. How can I contribute this to the All-In-One?
>

>You submit the changed package via Monticello.
>
>I made a how-to video a while ago, the relevant part is from 1:20 to 4:00:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QKmfI4taGo#t=1m20s
>
>This is for Etoys, but the difference is really just the repository names - you submit to "inbox". Should only take 3 minutes :)
>
>- Bert -

Re: Terse Guide to Squeak

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 11:24:46AM -0400, Raymond Asselin wrote:
> And in the examples the conform: method  doesn't exist in squeak

I do not understand what you mean. Which examples are you referring to?
I do not see any references to #conform: anywhere in my Squeak image.

Dave

> > Le 2014-10-04 ?? 21:36, [hidden email] a ??crit :
> >
> > Thanks, Bert. The hard part was to get etoysinbox added as a repository. The upload took place, AFIK.
> >
> > - Dan

Re: Terse Guide to Squeak

Raymond Asselin-4
Sorry the examples I mentioned are not in the image but on the wiki version.

Envoyé de mon iPhone