[Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

[Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

TEST:
Evaluate

      Compiler recompileAll

in a Workspace
in version Squeak4.4-12324.

RESULT:

Brings up a syntax error

Method #roll: in class Random does not compile.

Neither does it compile this version
http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4alpha/Squeak4.4-11925.zip (March 2012).

NOTE:

I found out about this because I was running

      Smalltalk unloadAllKnownPackages

in version  Squeak4.4-11925

--Hannes

Re: [Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

Frank Shearar-3
On 29 December 2012 08:40, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> TEST:
> Evaluate
>
>       Compiler recompileAll
>
> in a Workspace
> in version Squeak4.4-12324.
>

> RESULT:
>
> Brings up a syntax error
>
> Method #roll: in class Random does not compile.

Oddly, it does compile if you touch the source (delete the last
character and replace it) in a Browser and accept.

frank

> Neither does it compile this version
> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4alpha/Squeak4.4-11925.zip (March 2012).
>

> NOTE:
>
> I found out about this because I was running
>
>       Smalltalk unloadAllKnownPackages
>
> in version  Squeak4.4-11925
>

> --Hannes

Re: [Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

Hannes Hirzel
And in a pristine 4.3 image
    Compiler recompileAll
runs fine.

On 12/29/12, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 December 2012 08:40, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> TEST:
>> Evaluate
>>
>>       Compiler recompileAll
>>
>> in a Workspace
>> in version Squeak4.4-12324.
>>

>> RESULT:
>>
>> Brings up a syntax error
>>
>> Method #roll: in class Random does not compile.
>
> Oddly, it does compile if you touch the source (delete the last
> character and replace it) in a Browser and accept.
>
> frank
>
>> Neither does it compile this version
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4alpha/Squeak4.4-11925.zip (March 2012).
>>

>> NOTE:
>>
>> I found out about this because I was running
>>
>>       Smalltalk unloadAllKnownPackages
>>
>> in version  Squeak4.4-11925
>>

>> --Hannes

Re: [Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

Hannes Hirzel
For testing I deleted the #roll method of class Random. Then
  Compiler recompileAll
fails with another method. See screen shot

And the same happens with March 2012 version
   http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4alpha/Squeak4.4-11925.zip

So the error was introduced in between December 23, 2011 and March 2012
or alternatively it has something to do with the VM version.

On 12/29/12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And in a pristine 4.3 image
>     Compiler recompileAll
> runs fine.
>
> On 12/29/12, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 29 December 2012 08:40, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> TEST:
>>> Evaluate
>>>
>>>       Compiler recompileAll
>>>
>>> in a Workspace
>>> in version Squeak4.4-12324.
>>>

>>> RESULT:
>>>
>>> Brings up a syntax error
>>>
>>> Method #roll: in class Random does not compile.
>>
>> Oddly, it does compile if you touch the source (delete the last
>> character and replace it) in a Browser and accept.
>>
>> frank
>>
>>> Neither does it compile this version
>>> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4alpha/Squeak4.4-11925.zip (March 2012).
>>>

>>> NOTE:
>>>
>>> I found out about this because I was running
>>>
>>>       Smalltalk unloadAllKnownPackages
>>>
>>> in version  Squeak4.4-11925
>>>

>>> --Hannes

Re: [Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

Hannes Hirzel
The screen shot

On 12/29/12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For testing I deleted the #roll method of class Random. Then
>   Compiler recompileAll
> fails with another method. See screen shot
>
> And the same happens with March 2012 version
>    http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4alpha/Squeak4.4-11925.zip
>
> So the error was introduced in between December 23, 2011 and March 2012
> or alternatively it has something to do with the VM version.
>

> On 12/29/12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> And in a pristine 4.3 image
>>     Compiler recompileAll
>> runs fine.

>>> Oddly, it does compile if you touch the source (delete the last
>>> character and replace it) in a Browser and accept.
>>>
>>> frank

TestSqueak4.4-12324-Failure-Compiler-recompileAll.png (56K) Download Attachment

Re: [Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

Nicolas Cellier
This looks like decompiled code...

Why recompileAll could not find the source?

Nicolas

2012/12/29 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

> The screen shot
>
> On 12/29/12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> For testing I deleted the #roll method of class Random. Then
>>   Compiler recompileAll
>> fails with another method. See screen shot
>>
>> And the same happens with March 2012 version
>>    http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4alpha/Squeak4.4-11925.zip
>>
>> So the error was introduced in between December 23, 2011 and March 2012
>> or alternatively it has something to do with the VM version.
>>

>> On 12/29/12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> And in a pristine 4.3 image
>>>     Compiler recompileAll
>>> runs fine.

Re: [Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

Frank Shearar-3
On 29 December 2012 14:19, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> This looks like decompiled code...

That, and also note that the error's right the token "_r5", making me
think of the underscore-in-selector preference.

frank

2012/12/29 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
> On 29 December 2012 14:19, Nicolas Cellier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This looks like decompiled code...
>
> That, and also note that the error's right the token "_r5", making me
> think of the underscore-in-selector preference.
>
> frank

That would not be a solution because Decompiler messed temp var names
and declaration.
We shall better not trust the Decompiled code in this case...
I thought this issue was solved, but my memory is more selective than
an issue tracker ;)

Nicolas

>> Why recompileAll could not find the source?
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> 2012/12/29 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>>> The screen shot

Re: [Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

Hannes Hirzel
The sources file was not present in the working directory.

With
    SqueakV41.sources
added

    Compiler recompileAll

runs through fine.

--Hannes

On 12/29/12, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/12/29 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
>> On 29 December 2012 14:19, Nicolas Cellier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> This looks like decompiled code...
>>
>> That, and also note that the error's right the token "_r5", making me
>> think of the underscore-in-selector preference.
>>
>> frank
>>

> That would not be a solution because Decompiler messed temp var names
> and declaration.
> We shall better not trust the Decompiled code in this case...
> I thought this issue was solved, but my memory is more selective than
> an issue tracker ;)
>
> Nicolas
>
>>> Why recompileAll could not find the source?
>>>
>>> Nicolas

Re: [Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

Frank Shearar-3
On 29 December 2012 14:28, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/12/29 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
>> On 29 December 2012 14:19, Nicolas Cellier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> This looks like decompiled code...
>>
>> That, and also note that the error's right the token "_r5", making me
>> think of the underscore-in-selector preference.
>>
>> frank
>>

> That would not be a solution because Decompiler messed temp var names
> and declaration.
> We shall better not trust the Decompiled code in this case...
> I thought this issue was solved, but my memory is more selective than
> an issue tracker ;)

I meant that it could be a confounding factor, not a workaround.

It seems sensible that decompilable code ought always to be
compilable. Further, I'd expect (assuming no Compiler changes) that
the original bytecode and the decompiled-recompiled bytecode to be
identical.

frank

> Nicolas
>
>>> Why recompileAll could not find the source?
>>>
>>> Nicolas

Re: [Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

Nicolas Cellier
2012/12/29 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

> On 29 December 2012 14:28, Nicolas Cellier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2012/12/29 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> That, and also note that the error's right the token "_r5", making me
>>> think of the underscore-in-selector preference.
>>>
>>> frank
>>>

>> That would not be a solution because Decompiler messed temp var names
>> and declaration.
>> We shall better not trust the Decompiled code in this case...
>> I thought this issue was solved, but my memory is more selective than
>> an issue tracker ;)
>
> I meant that it could be a confounding factor, not a workaround.
>
> It seems sensible that decompilable code ought always to be
> compilable. Further, I'd expect (assuming no Compiler changes) that
> the original bytecode and the decompiled-recompiled bytecode to be
> identical.
>
> frank

Ideally yes.
But see DecompilerTests>>#decompilerFailures and usage...

Nicolas

>> Nicolas

Re: [Test][Squeak4.4-12324][Failure] Compiler recompileAll

Hannes Hirzel
As it runs fine with SqueakV41.sources present I would not consider
this a problem for the release of 4.4.