[Test][Squeak5.2rc1][SqueakMap] FFI entry in SqueakMap catalog for 5.2?

12

Re: [Test][Squeak5.2rc1][SqueakMap] FFI entry in SqueakMap catalog for 5.2?

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 02:21:34PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 10:36:15AM -0700, Chris Cunningham wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 9:17 AM H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote
> >

> > > It seems to solve the issue. Could you please check ('Update your
> > > SqueakMap client object net and install  with click on 'FFI' only).
> > >

> > This worked for me.  However, I did notice that there is now no (head)
> > release - that seems to have gone away.
> >

> Ugh. I must have somehow clobbered the (head) release when I made the
> new '5.2' release. I really don't know how I did that, but I can see
> that the id of the current '5.2' release is the same as that of the
> original (head).
>
> I'm not sure how to preceed, maybe just make a new (head) entry?

Just to follow up on this:

For the FFI package on SqueakMap, I made a new 'head' release with load
script that matches the original. Things should be back to normal now
with a '5.2' release that loads in Squeak 5.2, and a 'head' that gives
the latest installation regardless of Squeak version.

Dave

Re: [Test][Squeak5.2rc1][SqueakMap] FFI entry in SqueakMap catalog for 5.2?

Chris Muller-3
Great, thanks Dave!

And Hannes -- thanks to you Squeak 5.2 now has 29 packages listed,
this has to be one of the best releases ever in this respect.  In a
listing of over 900 packages, knowing which 29 have been tested and
verified to work is one bit of information useful to virtually every
kind of Squeak user.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:05:40PM +0200, H. Hirzel wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> On 10/12/18, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Hannes,
> >
> > I think you did not understand.  Just because you "tested it and it
> > worked" TODAY does not mean that script will continue working forever.
>
> There is no such claim. The claim is just that it still works for 5.2.

+1

> > That's why we MUST NOT put a "Squeak 5.2" tag on it unless we make a
> > separate Release with a script that uses explicitly-specified
> > versions.
>
> > That's what we have now, I see no versions of "FFI" for 4.5, only
> > (head), 3.10, and 3.9.  The last two were published by Andreas.
>
> And that contains
>
>      Installer new merge: #ffiTests'
>
> That means this script has been working since 3.9, i.e. for 10 years.

+1

Chris, this is important. We have to have some way to handle the
use case that Hannes is trying to handle here.

As a package maintainer, I do /not/ want to declare a new release
of my package unless unless I have actually released something new
in my package, because that forces me to declare a new release of
my package when no such thing has actually happened.

When someone in the Squeak or Cuis or Pharo community decides to
announce a new release of their image distribution, I /do/ want
to announce my claim that some version of my package works with
that release, because I want to let that community know that my
package still works with their new release.

We need some way to deal with this use case. "Make another bogus
release of your package every time somebody in Sqeak/Cuis/Pharo
decides to announce a new release of their image" is not really
a very good answer. it kind of works but ... yuk.

Dave

> --Hannes
>
> > HTH,
> >   Chris
> > On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 2:36 PM H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Chris
> >>
> >> I think that just
> >>
> >>      Installer new merge: #ffiTests
> >>
> >> is good enough. Like it was for earlier version.  I tested it and it
> >> worked.
> >>
> >> I just wonder what I need to do that it shows up in the list of
> >> available packages for 5.2?
> >>
> >> --Hannes

Re: [Test][Squeak5.2rc1][SqueakMap] FFI entry in SqueakMap catalog for 5.2?

David T. Lewis
My apologies, please disregard this post. I was cleaning out some
old junk from my local files and sent this to the list by accident.
It belongs in the waste basket.

Sorry,
Dave

12