Test for several conditions met

Mike Lee-12
This is a question for Steve Thomas, or anyone else who can answer.

I am working on the scripting necessary to make the existing Lubuto Literacy lessons interactive. By studying the built-in Etoys help guide, I have been able to change an attribute of a target object by dragging another over it with "obscures dot" programmed. So when I drag a text object over the correct question blank square, the blank area turns green. Then I made a star turn green when the text object was dragged on the correct blank (without changing the blank). What I would like to do is test for when all answers are correctly dragged onto their respective question blanks.

Here is a .PR file with a book showing the pages from a Lubuto lesson and extra pages for my two experiments:

Of course, I will document all of this publicly as part of the workshop materials I have to develop for my trip to Lusaka. There was virtually no information on making quizzes in Etoys when I searched Google. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

Re: Test for several conditions met

Steve Thomas
I really love that you can use Etoys to explain all your questions and mock up the user interface  you are looking for quickly and easily.

I modified your project and you can find what I think you want here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/snvqi0bgy3e1y0f/Match%20Answer%20Quiz.008.pr

In the modified project I embedded the text in a rectangle, then locked the text (to avoid, the user changing the answer or getting frustrated by clicking to drag and winding up with a cursor shown inside the text instead).  Would be best to use "Text Rectangle" inside "Connectors" in the "Object Catalog".  I would still lock the text when done.  If you are creating sample projects for volunteers to modify, you could then script the "Text Rectangle". Then the volunteer could simply change the text and rearrange the Q and A boxes so the answers aren't always in the same position.

There are other ways to script this as well, that could make life easier for volunteers, I am assuming you want them to focus on content creation and not learning all of Etoys.

On another note, I often see kids hunt and peck until they find the answer (or in this case drag until green).  I wonder if it cold be designed differently to discourage that (at least a little) via a "Check Answers" button and/or a set of stars where you gain and lose stars for right and wrong answers?

Hope this helps,
Stephen

Re: Test for several conditions met

Mike Lee-12
Thank you!

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
I really love that you can use Etoys to explain all your questions and mock up the user interface  you are looking for quickly and easily.

Yes, I finally can get around Etoys well enough to use it like Powerpoint.

I modified your project and you can find what I think you want here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/snvqi0bgy3e1y0f/Match%20Answer%20Quiz.008.pr

In the modified project I embedded the text in a rectangle, then locked the text (to avoid, the user changing the answer or getting frustrated by clicking to drag and winding up with a cursor shown inside the text instead).  Would be best to use "Text Rectangle" inside "Connectors" in the "Object Catalog".  I would still lock the text when done.  If you are creating sample projects for volunteers to modify, you could then script the "Text Rectangle".

Yes, I will need to lock the text to a rectangle and script to the rectangle. I didn't think to use the "Text Rectangle"--much easier. Others, including teachers, students and volunteers in Zambia, will indeed need to modify sample and template projects I will create. My USAID funded two weeks there starting 2/16 affords a golden opportunity to work with the local folks in person.

Then the volunteer could simply change the text and rearrange the Q and A boxes so the answers aren't always in the same position.

Yes, and adjust slightly for sets of answers that vary between 3 and 10.

There are other ways to script this as well, that could make life easier for volunteers, I am assuming you want them to focus on content creation and not learning all of Etoys.

I would like to understand some of the other ways. The interaction scripts will have to be applied to existing lessons, hopefully encapsulating as much of the script detail as possible into objects that can be dragged in from a production flap and "hooked up" to the existing text authored by the teachers back in 2011.

On another note, I often see kids hunt and peck until they find the answer (or in this case drag until green).  I wonder if it cold be designed differently to discourage that (at least a little) via a "Check Answers" button and/or a set of stars where you gain and lose stars for right and wrong answers?

Absolutely an issue. In the example you sent back, we would want not to provide confirmation of success until all the answers are placed in the correct slots. I expect a couple of the students to "cheat" and hack the scripts--bonus for that!