Test to Speech Synthesis in Squeak 4?

Dimitry Golubovsky
Hi,

What is the current status of text to speech synthesis in Squeak 4?

Googling the topic gave me only the page [1] which in turn refers to
the KlattSynthesizer page [2], and also the Speech package page [3];
both Wiki pages were last updated years ago.

I tried to install the "Speech" package from SqueakMap, but it failed
to install. Does there exist a newer version or other packages for
speech synthesis?

In case a newer version does not exist, I don't mind trying to fix the
package myself.

I use Squeak 4.1, default build, with "stock" image from squeak.org under Linux.

Thanks for any ideas.

--------
[1] http://www.squeak.org/Features/MultiMedia/
[2] http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1112
[3] http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/651
--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web

Re: Test to Speech Synthesis in Squeak 4?

Ricardo Moran
Hi,

I don't know if this is the latest version of the package but it seems the .sar has a bug and it's not loading the "Speech-Phonetics.st" file. I'm attaching a version that loads without errors on Squeak 4.2. I don't know if it works correctly, I only tested the example below:

Speaker manWithHead say: 'This is my voice. Can you see my lips?'.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Richo

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Dimitry Golubovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Speech.2.sar (83K) Download Attachment

Re: Test to Speech Synthesis in Squeak 4?

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] Test to Speech Synthesis in Squeak 4?

On 1/2/11 2:11 AM, "Ricardo Moran" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I use Squeak 4.1, default build, with "stock" image from squeak.org <http://squeak.org>  under Linux.

Thanks for any ideas.

The recipe is:

Go for FunSqueak http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments/FunSqueakCog4.2-10813-alpha.zip
Go to Ladrillos repository, load Speech-md.9

FileIn the two attached and do

Speaker manWithHead say: 'This is my voice. Can you see my lips?'.

Enjoy, send any feedback and maybe I put Speech into the next build of FunSqueak with any improvements send to list or direct to me

Edgar

P.S. FunSqueak is build on top of current 4.2

KlattVoice-initialize.st (588 bytes) Download Attachment
HeadMorph-addBeret.st (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Test to Speech Synthesis in Squeak 4?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 1 Jan 2011, Dimitry Golubovsky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the current status of text to speech synthesis in Squeak 4?
>
> Googling the topic gave me only the page [1] which in turn refers to
> the KlattSynthesizer page [2], and also the Speech package page [3];
> both Wiki pages were last updated years ago.
>
> I tried to install the "Speech" package from SqueakMap, but it failed
> to install. Does there exist a newer version or other packages for
> speech synthesis?
>
> In case a newer version does not exist, I don't mind trying to fix the
> package myself.
>
> I use Squeak 4.1, default build, with "stock" image from squeak.org under Linux.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

Speech is available on SqueakSource, but there's a problem with the order
of class initializations, which should be fixed. Until then you can try
the following script which works around the issue:

[ [
  Installer squeaksource
  project: 'Speech';
  install: 'SharedPool-Speech';
  install: 'Speech' ]
  on: MessageNotUnderstood
  do: [ :error |
  "We get here, because LipsMorph class >> #initialize assumes that PhonemeSet is already initialized."
  #(PhonemeSet KlattSynthesizer LiljencrantsFant PhonemeRecord Voice)
  do: [ :each | (Smalltalk at: each) initialize ].
  error retry ] ]
  on: Warning
  do: [ :warning |
  "We get here, because we manipulated the loading process above."
  warning resume ].

If the above script was successfully evaluated you can try this:

Speaker default say: 'Hi!'.

See the class side of Speaker for other examples.

Levente