Testing and education

Karl Ramberg
Article in Slate:
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2012/06/maker_faire_and_science_education_american_kids_should_be_building_rockets_and_robots_not_taking_standardized_tests_.html

One thing I experience with making stuff : I learn more from thing
that I do wrong or fail at than things I do that happen to work or be
right.
It is sad when school punish mistakes. Mistakes are a opportunity to
investigate and see what went wrong. And by doing that you learn.

Karl

Re: Testing and education

Steve Thomas
I think culture plays a very important role in learning.  One of the first things I do when teaching (school or sports) a new group of kids is to encourage them to make mistakes and how to handle them.  A couple of phrases I use are:
  • If you aren't making mistakes, you aren't trying hard enough.
  • Congratulations you made a mistake, now what can we learn from it?
  • Learn from the mistakes of others, you don't have enough time to make them all yourself.
I also tend to model mistake making (sometimes intentionally :)

In dealing mistakes I use the bathroom analogy (stolen from PCAnytimes article here on flushing mistakes and filling their emotional tanks, which is equally important).

Another point in slate article Karl shared is this, when talking about the test quesiton:
"if the question was such that everyone got the right answer, then it wouldn’t be a good question."

I recall Ken Blanchard talking about giving the kids the answers to the final exam and all the other teachers and his chairman getting upset.  His comment was he wanted ALL the kids to succeed (and learn).  There is definitely something wrong with a culture that focuses more on identifying the select few than helping all to succeed.

All that said, my mind being full of contradictions and having heard objections to the above approaches...
I have a hard time imaging my boss coming to me and saying "Congratulations Steve you made another mistake!!!".  Yet I can imagine and have heard her say "You did your best, under similar circumstances and pressures I would have done the same thing, move on and lets get it right."  The above approaches do focus on learning and doing your best.  But I believe they do so in a way that encourages more kids to succeed and be happy.  More on how to do that in a future blog post.

Stephen

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think culture plays a very important role in learning.  One of the first
> things I do when teaching (school or sports) a new group of kids is to
> encourage them to make mistakes and how to handle them.  A couple of phrases
> I use are:
>
> If you aren't making mistakes, you aren't trying hard enough.
> Congratulations you made a mistake, now what can we learn from it?
> Learn from the mistakes of others, you don't have enough time to make them
> all yourself.
>
> I also tend to model mistake making (sometimes intentionally :)
>
> In dealing mistakes I use the bathroom analogy (stolen from PCA,  nytimes
> article here on flushing mistakes and filling their emotional tanks, which
> is equally important).

Good article
All this is so obvious but is also so easy to forget.
Bad impulse control is bad for teaching and it's easy to create a
environment where everyone are nervous about making mistakes and that
is quite destructive for having a creative, fun and engaging
experience.

Karl