Testing if all works from odbxtest.sh

Jose.Larroque
Hi guys, im having problems in windows 7 with Pharo 2.0, i want to check if its possible connect  from OpenDBXDriver  to a Mysql database. First i use an existing app with the dll's downloaded from the OpenDBX site (1.4.5) version, but it doesnt work very well, always say "Could not load library backend"

I was trying to test the connection against a running mysql database (i downloaded the 1.4.6 version, because i didn´t find the 1.4.5 version with the sources), without Pharo, but i dont know if this is possible in Windows, because the script "odbxtest.sh" is searching for "..\backends\mysql\libmysqlbackend.so" file, and i dont have it, and as far as i know, the ".so" extension its related to library files from linux environments, right?

In short, its possible test a conection using OpenDBXDriver in windows 7 without using Pharo?

Re: Testing if all works from odbxtest.sh

Guillermo Polito
Hi!!

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Jose.Larroque <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys, im having problems in windows 7 with Pharo 2.0, i want to check if
its possible connect  from OpenDBXDriver  to a Mysql database. First i use
an existing app with the dll's downloaded from the OpenDBX site (1.4.5)
version, but it doesnt work very well, always say "Could not load library
backend"

That means that the opendbx library was found (libopendbx) but the one corresponding to the specific backend (libmysqlbackend in this case) was not. For that you depend on the OS library loading policy :). I don't know much the Windows details, but I'm pretty sure it first looks in the folder of the current executable, and if not found, it goes and searches in the Windows/system[32] folder.

I was trying to test the connection against a running mysql database (i
downloaded the 1.4.6 version, because i didn´t find the 1.4.5 version with
the sources), without Pharo, but i dont know if this is possible in Windows,
because the script "odbxtest.sh" is searching for
"..\backends\mysql\libmysqlbackend.so" file, and i dont have it, and as far
as i know, the ".so" extension its related to library files from linux
environments, right?

How are you running the script? through a normal windows console? Because a .sh would not work there... Are you using instead cygwin or mingw/msys?

I'd recommend to execute directly the odbxtest.exe file with the corresponding arguments. If it does not find the libraries, try to copy both (libopendbx and libmysql) next to the odbxtest executable so it finds them.

In short, its possible test a conection using OpenDBXDriver in windows 7
without using Pharo?

In short, it should :).

Keep us updated!
Guille

Re: Testing if all works from odbxtest.sh

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!!

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Jose.Larroque <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys, im having problems in windows 7 with Pharo 2.0, i want to check if
its possible connect  from OpenDBXDriver  to a Mysql database. First i use
an existing app with the dll's downloaded from the OpenDBX site (1.4.5)
version, but it doesnt work very well, always say "Could not load library
backend"

That means that the opendbx library was found (libopendbx) but the one corresponding to the specific backend (libmysqlbackend in this case) was not. For that you depend on the OS library loading policy :). I don't know much the Windows details, but I'm pretty sure it first looks in the folder of the current executable,

which in our case is the pharo vm (.exe).

and if not found, it goes and searches in the Windows/system[32] folder.

yes, and then in $PATH. So try putting it in several places.

Guille...I think that the error message is for something else here. I think it is not that openDBX didn't find libmysqlbackend but that it didn't find the libs of the mysql (the client library).
So Jose, try to be sure the mysql libs are being finadble. Add its /lib and /bin into $PATH.
Some helpful discussions:

I was trying to test the connection against a running mysql database (i
downloaded the 1.4.6 version, because i didn´t find the 1.4.5 version with
the sources), without Pharo, but i dont know if this is possible in Windows,
because the script "odbxtest.sh" is searching for
"..\backends\mysql\libmysqlbackend.so" file, and i dont have it, and as far
as i know, the ".so" extension its related to library files from linux
environments, right?

How are you running the script? through a normal windows console? Because a .sh would not work there... Are you using instead cygwin or mingw/msys?

I'd recommend to execute directly the odbxtest.exe file with the corresponding arguments. If it does not find the libraries, try to copy both (libopendbx and libmysql) next to the odbxtest executable so it finds them.

indeed. but are we sure odbxtest.exe was included in the downlaod zip? I am not sure....

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Testing if all works from odbxtest.sh

Jose.Larroque
Hi guys!, thanks for answering.

Yes, i have been doing more tests, and for the error "Could not load library backend" the problem was that the dll for the mysqlbackend, wasn´t in the same place of the pharo image. I put it in the same directory and never see this error again.

i had other problems, i wasn´t using the dll´s compiled for 64 bits, i found them here (
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/dbxtalk/vNM3blkdbMc/ybIkBiMhY5MJ).

-----------------
I probably had problems with the mysql client library, because i was trying to install the mysql client for 32 bits but i installed several times the 64 bits by mistake (the mysql community installer doesn´t seems to me very obvius). I finally get installed this version because the application that i´m using need it, so i hope no having problems there anymore.
-----------------

My other question, the odbxtest.sh, i run it from windows (cmd.exe) in this way (i read somewhere that changing the slash direction make the script works in windows):
.\odbxtest.sh

and from cygwin in this way:
./odbxtest,sh

In both ways say "mysql FAILED mysql FAILED "

I open the script and it doesn´t need parameters as far as i known, because i configurate the odbtest.site with the parameters of my mysql database:

ODBXTEST_BACKENDS="mysql"

MYSQL_HOST="localhost"
MYSQL_PORT="3306"
MYSQL_DATABASE="sodbxtest"
MYSQL_USERNAME="sodbxtest"
MYSQL_PASSWORD="sodbxtest"

the script fails on line 72, here it is : ../backends/mysql/.libs/libmysqlbackend.so
and in the stderr file, it says "D:\Descargas\OpenDBX\opendbx-1.4.6\test\odbxtest.sh: line 72: ./odbxtest: No such file or directory", and i dont have that *.so file, i only have the dll for the mysql backend, not the .so. So (:D)  i dont know how this can be done then.

Jose.
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dbxtalk/ofU13TzMloU
http://forum.world.st/how-to-install-for-oracle-on-windows-7-td4383776.html#a4386940