Thank Eliot Miranda!

KenDickey
> Many thanks to those who recently landed the ARMv8 build of Cog. (Per
the commit history I think the main person responsible was Ken Dickey?
Thanks Ken!)

That was 99.997% Eliot.  I just got the vm-display-fbdev up with
libevdev on Raspi3/4 & LePotato.

Great thanks to Eliot !!!

-KenD

-KenD

Re: Thank Eliot Miranda!

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Ken, Hi Tony, Hi All,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 7:26 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Many thanks to those who recently landed the ARMv8 build of Cog. (Per
the commit history I think the main person responsible was Ken Dickey?
Thanks Ken!)

That was 99.997% Eliot.  I just got the vm-display-fbdev up with
libevdev on Raspi3/4 & LePotato.

Ken, it feels to me much closer to 50/50.  You actually wrote the code and did the testing to get the FFI working.  Yes I helped you because it's my framework and my architecture, but you learned it and made it work.  But you *were* & *are* instrumental in realizing the ARMv8 VM.  Thank you.  In fact I'm extending your structs-passed-in-registers code right now to cope with HFAs (homogenous float arrays with four or fewer elements).  Once we have the JIT fully working then I can take some more credit, but you've supported me with crucial testing.

Great thanks to Eliot !!!

and to Ken!!

-KenD

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Thank Eliot Miranda!

Karl Ramberg
Thanks all for great work :-D
Best,
Karl

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 19:08, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ken, Hi Tony, Hi All,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 7:26 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Many thanks to those who recently landed the ARMv8 build of Cog. (Per

the commit history I think the main person responsible was Ken Dickey?

Thanks Ken!)

That was 99.997% Eliot.  I just got the vm-display-fbdev up with

libevdev on Raspi3/4 & LePotato.

Ken, it feels to me much closer to 50/50.  You actually wrote the code and did the testing to get the FFI working.  Yes I helped you because it's my framework and my architecture, but you learned it and made it work.  But you *were* & *are* instrumental in realizing the ARMv8 VM.  Thank you.  In fact I'm extending your structs-passed-in-registers code right now to cope with HFAs (homogenous float arrays with four or fewer elements).  Once we have the JIT fully working then I can take some more credit, but you've supported me with crucial testing.

Great thanks to Eliot !!!

and to Ken!!

-KenD

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Thank Eliot Miranda!

KenDickey
Thanks for the kind words, Eliot.

I think a better metaphor is adding a few grains of sand to the scale at
the right time to tip the balance. :)

Being part of a community means you don't have to do absolutely
everything yourself.

Glad to help out.

-KenD

-KenD

Re: Thank Eliot Miranda!

Tony Garnock-Jones-5
On 8/28/20 4:17 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> That was 99.997% Eliot.  I just got the vm-display-fbdev up with
> libevdev on Raspi3/4 & LePotato.
> Great thanks to Eliot !!!

Well, hear hear, many thanks indeed to Eliot for this and all the other
great work he does (but thanks to you also for your part) :-)

ARMv8 JIT (was Re: Thank Eliot Miranda!)

Tony Garnock-Jones-5

On 8/28/20 7:08 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

Once we have the JIT fully working

Oh, wow, is there no JIT on ARMv8? I can report that it's quite usable on my phone, so far at least. I'm still working on input support so I haven't had much of a chance to *use* it on the phone yet, but the display repainting, device detection, DPI-adjusting code I've written so far runs fast enough it hadn't occurred to me to wonder about JIT or not.

Tony