Thank you for all your training/learning thoughts

Thank you for all your training/learning thoughts

Andy Burnett
I think what I really need to do is to get over the initial 'hump' of
building squeak applications. I need to go beyond the normal 'bank
account' example so that I can see how to put together something more
complex.  I will try the books.

What about taking a training course in another dialect e.g Cincom
Smalltalk.  How transferable would that be?

Thanks
AB

Re: Thank you for all your training/learning thoughts

tblanchard
It would help to know where you are geographically - perhaps someone
could meet you.

-Todd Blanchard

On Jan 23, 2007, at 10:36 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I think what I really need to do is to get over the initial 'hump' of
> building squeak applications. I need to go beyond the normal 'bank
> account' example so that I can see how to put together something more
> complex.  I will try the books.
>
> What about taking a training course in another dialect e.g Cincom
> Smalltalk.  How transferable would that be?
>
> Thanks
> AB

Re: Thank you for all your training/learning thoughts

Christopher Sawtell
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 07:36, [hidden email] wrote:
> I think what I really need to do is to get over the initial 'hump' of
> building squeak applications. I need to go beyond the normal 'bank
> account' example so that I can see how to put together something more
> complex.  I will try the books.
>
> What about taking a training course in another dialect e.g Cincom
> Smalltalk.  How transferable would that be?
I found the documentation which came with Cincom Smalltalk to be invaluable in
getting over the 'hump'. In particular the daily 'screencasts' by James
Robertson. Like much information about software written by seasoned experts
there are a number of places where he forgets that what comes naturally and
without any conscious thought to him is, for a brand new learner, a vital
fact. But that is a fact of life when trying to learn any complex software
system.

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=smalltalk_daily

I don't know if anything similar based around squeak even exists.

--
CS

Re: Thank you for all your training/learning thoughts

Larry Trutter

>From: Christopher Sawtell <[hidden email]>
>To: "A friendly place to get answers to even the most basic questions
>aboutSqueak." <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [Newbies] Thank you for all your training/learning thoughts
>Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:56:45 +1300
>
>On Wednesday 24 January 2007 07:36, [hidden email] wrote:
> > What about taking a training course in another dialect e.g Cincom
> > Smalltalk.  How transferable would that be?
>I found the documentation which came with Cincom Smalltalk to be invaluable
>in
>getting over the 'hump'. In particular the daily 'screencasts' by James
>Robertson. Like much information about software written by seasoned experts
>there are a number of places where he forgets that what comes naturally and
>without any conscious thought to him is, for a brand new learner, a vital
>fact. But that is a fact of life when trying to learn any complex software
>system.
>
>http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=smalltalk_daily
>
>I don't know if anything similar based around squeak even exists.

There are Squeak videos at: http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/Videos/
Hopefully, this is what you are looking for?

-Larry Trutter