Thanks to the International Order of Squeak Virtual Machine Builders and Knights of the Square Bracket

tty

Thanks to the International Order of Squeak Virtual Machine Builders and Knights of the Square Bracket

tty

I got the Standard VM per Dave's work at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6177 Works like a charm and has helped me immensely in that I now know I can build on my 64 bit linux with the compat-libs. that is a huge confidence builder.

1. I have the same issues with StackInterpreter on a native 32 bit machine (builds, don't run) as I do on my 64 bit workstation with aformentioned libs--so that is good news as well--I can debug on my powerful workstation with 16Gigs of memory rather than
the 32 bit box with 128Mb of memory (:

2. I am going to attempt the pharo process and the 64 bit squeaks next before returning to the StackInterpreter work.

3. Does the CoInterpreter VMMaker on Squeak process currently work? I read a VMMaker.oscog commit a while back where Eliot commented that "he got it to compile"
    When I attempt to generate the sources, I get a debugger and I don't want to debug this if the code base is in flux while Spur work is going on.

cheers!

tty.

Squeako ergo sum. Artificiosum odi. Noli me vocare, ego ce vocare, ego te vocabo. Fac uc gaudeam. vencis secundis, cene cursum. vescere bracis meis.

Re: Thanks to the International Order of Squeak Virtual Machine Builders and Knights of the Square Bracket

Eliot Miranda-2

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

I got the Standard VM per Dave's work at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6177 Works like a charm and has helped me immensely in that I now know I can build on my 64 bit linux with the compat-libs. that is a huge confidence builder.

1. I have the same issues with StackInterpreter on a native 32 bit machine (builds, don't run) as I do on my 64 bit workstation with aformentioned libs--so that is good news as well--I can debug on my powerful workstation with 16Gigs of memory rather than
the 32 bit box with 128Mb of memory (:

2. I am going to attempt the pharo process and the 64 bit squeaks next before returning to the StackInterpreter work.

3. Does the CoInterpreter VMMaker on Squeak process currently work? I read a VMMaker.oscog commit a while back where Eliot commented that "he got it to compile"

Which process do you mean?  I'm compiling Cog all the time.

--
best,
Eliot
tty

Re: Thanks to the International Order of Squeak Virtual    Machine Builders and Knights of the Square Bracket

tty

>>Which process do you mean?  I'm compiling Cog all the time.

Hi Eliot.

VMMaker generateConfiguration  choose Squeak Cog VM

Debugger "Undefined Object does not understand basicNew."  at

ancilliaryClasses: options
at line:

    ProcessorClass basicNew abstractInstructionCompilerClass.

Don't worry about it. I will figure it out once I get stack VM running. It just helps to know that it does compile somewhere.

Cordially,

tty

Eliot

Re: Thanks to the International Order of Squeak Virtual    Machine Builders and Knight s of the Square Bracket

David T. Lewis

I recognise that error message, I think it's the same issue as this:

http://build.squeak.org/job/CogVM/503/console

It's a minor problem, just a missing initialization when you are loading
VMMaker.oscog into a fresh Squeak image.

Eliot, I'm not sure what the initialization should be but I expect it will
be obvious if you load into a fresh Squeak. I'm away and can't check it
now, but I think there is a ProcessClass variable that needs to be set (in
Cogit IIRC), and there is an options dictionary that may require
initialization.

Dave

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 1:53 PM, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>Which process do you mean?  I'm compiling Cog all the time.

Hi Eliot.

VMMaker generateConfiguration  choose Squeak Cog VM

Debugger "Undefined Object does not understand basicNew."  at

ancilliaryClasses: options
at line:

    ProcessorClass basicNew abstractInstructionCompilerClass.

For now, just evaluate Cogit initializeMiscConstants.

Eliot
tty

Re: Thanks to the International Order of Squeak Virtual    Machine Builders and Knights of the Square Bracket

tty

Hi Eliot

I did that when Dave emailed and it got me past the original error and landed me on a different one.
Please don't waste any brain cycles on it now as my focus is elsewhere at the moment.

I will focus on the Cog build when I get the StackVM I compiled debugged and running. I still have some 'i's to dot and 't''s to cross
with the building as well. I am attempting a Squeak64 vm build and I need to teach myself to build a plugin and I want to get some hands on with
the pharo build process as well so I can communicate with the pharo folks.

When I feel I have some confidence, I will give my attention to the Cog builds on both Pharo and Squeak and try to get something of the quality David has on the wiki in place for future reference.

That said, if you have some standard things you do when you configure a fresh image please sling em my way and I will test and document them for you.

Cordially,

tty.

---- On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:04:16 -0800 Eliot Miranda<[hidden email]> wrote ----