The Dynabook and modern computing

Bert Freudenberg
Time interviews Alan Kay:

http://techland.time.com/2013/04/02/an-interview-with-computing-pioneer-alan-kay/

- Bert -

Re: The Dynabook and modern computing

Benoît Fleury
Thank you Bert for the link.

I am not sure to understand this metaphor with agriculture.

"One way to think of all of these organizations is to realize that if
they require a charismatic leader who will shoot people in the knees
when needed, then the corporate organization and process is a failure.
It means no group can come up with a good decision and make it stick
just because it is a good idea. All the companies I’ve worked for have
this deep problem of devolving to something like the hunting and
gathering cultures of 100,000 years ago. If businesses could find a
way to invent “agriculture” we could put the world back together and
all would prosper."

If someone could explain me what it means.

Thanks,
Benoit.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Time interviews Alan Kay:
>
> http://techland.time.com/2013/04/02/an-interview-with-computing-pioneer-alan-kay/
>
> - Bert -

Fwd: Fwd: The Dynabook and modern computing

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
It took me while to realize that I forwarded it to a wrong list...

From: Benoît Fleury <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: [squeakland] The Dynabook and modern computing
To: Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
Cc: IAEP SugarLabs <[hidden email]>, squeakland list
<[hidden email]>

Thank you Bert for the link.

I am not sure to understand this metaphor with agriculture.

"One way to think of all of these organizations is to realize that if
they require a charismatic leader who will shoot people in the knees
when needed, then the corporate organization and process is a failure.
It means no group can come up with a good decision and make it stick
just because it is a good idea. All the companies I’ve worked for have
this deep problem of devolving to something like the hunting and
gathering cultures of 100,000 years ago. If businesses could find a
way to invent “agriculture” we could put the world back together and
all would prosper."

If someone could explain me what it means.

Thanks,
Benoit.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Time interviews Alan Kay:
>
> http://techland.time.com/2013/04/02/an-interview-with-computing-pioneer-alan-kay/
>
> - Bert -

-- Yoshiki