The Inbox: Chronology-Core-dtl.66.mcz

commits-2
A new version of Chronology-Core was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Chronology-Core-dtl.66.mcz

Name: Chronology-Core-dtl.66
Author: dtl
Time: 28 March 2021, 10:52:56.0001 am
UUID: 9695afba-0eaf-49ab-8d2e-177f089f1d04
Ancestors: Chronology-Core-dtl.65

Let "1 second" be a synonym for "1 seconds" so that "5 second" does not answer one second. Likewise for minute, hour, etc.

=============== Diff against Chronology-Core-dtl.65 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Number>>day (in category '*chronology-core') -----
  day

+ ^ self days!
- ^ self sign days!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Number>>hour (in category '*chronology-core') -----
  hour

+ ^ self hours
- ^ self sign hours
  !

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Number>>microSecond (in category '*chronology-core') -----
  microSecond
+ ^ self microSeconds!
- ^ self sign microSeconds!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Number>>milliSecond (in category '*chronology-core') -----
  milliSecond

+ ^ self milliSeconds
- ^ self sign milliSeconds
  !

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Number>>minute (in category '*chronology-core') -----
  minute

+ ^ self minutes
- ^ self sign minutes
  !

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Number>>nanoSecond (in category '*chronology-core') -----
  nanoSecond

+ ^ self nanoSeconds
- ^ self sign nanoSeconds
  !

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Number>>second (in category '*chronology-core') -----
  second

+ ^ self seconds
- ^ self sign seconds
  !

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Number>>week (in category '*chronology-core') -----
  week

+ ^ self weeks
- ^ self sign weeks
  !

Re: The Inbox: Chronology-Core-dtl.66.mcz

Jaromir Matas
Hi,
great!

Would it be a bad idea to have milliseconds instead (or on top) of
milliSeconds? Etc.

-----
^[^ Jaromir

^[^ Jaromir

Re: The Inbox: Chronology-Core-dtl.66.mcz

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:13:37AM -0500, Jaromir Matas wrote:
> Hi,
> great!
>
> Would it be a bad idea to have milliseconds instead (or on top) of
> milliSeconds? Etc.

I would not want to bother with that. It would just add more stuff
to the API, and the existing selector names are good enough.

Dave

Re: The Inbox: Chronology-Core-dtl.66.mcz

Levente Uzonyi
Hi David,

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:13:37AM -0500, Jaromir Matas wrote:
>> Hi,
>> great!
>>
>> Would it be a bad idea to have milliseconds instead (or on top) of
>> milliSeconds? Etc.
>>

> I would not want to bother with that. It would just add more stuff
> to the API, and the existing selector names are good enough.

I find the existing names annoying. I think the author of those
methods was not familiar with the SI system.

Levente

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 10:10:22PM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2021, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:13:37AM -0500, Jaromir Matas wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>great!
> >>
> >>Would it be a bad idea to have milliseconds instead (or on top) of
> >>milliSeconds? Etc.
> >>

> >I would not want to bother with that. It would just add more stuff
> >to the API, and the existing selector names are good enough.
>
> I find the existing names annoying. I think the author of those
> methods was not familiar with the SI system.

I have no strong opinion one way or the other. It's a bit of aggrivation
to manage the deprecation process, but aside from that I guess there
is no reason not to fix the selector names. Should we do that?

Dave

Re: The Inbox: Chronology-Core-dtl.66.mcz

Christoph Thiede

The Oxford Dictionary lists "millisecond" as a single word, so it would just be consistent to name our selectors #milliseconds. At some places, we already write it in one word, i.e. in Time class, Monitor, Sound. Duration appears to be the only protocol with #milliSeconds. If it's not too complicated, personally, I would vote for renaming it into #milliseconds. If no one else feels like doing so, I could prepare a changeset. :-)

Best,

Christoph

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 10:10:22PM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2021, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:13:37AM -0500, Jaromir Matas wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>great!
> >>
> >>Would it be a bad idea to have milliseconds instead (or on top) of
> >>milliSeconds? Etc.
> >>

> >I would not want to bother with that. It would just add more stuff
> >to the API, and the existing selector names are good enough.
>
> I find the existing names annoying. I think the author of those
> methods was not familiar with the SI system.

I have no strong opinion one way or the other. It's a bit of aggrivation
to manage the deprecation process, but aside from that I guess there
is no reason not to fix the selector names. Should we do that?

Dave

Carpe Squeak!