The Inbox: Collections-nice.530.mcz

12

Re: Removing OneCharacterSymbols (was: Re: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: Collections-nice.530.mcz)

Tobias Pape
Hi

Am 13.09.2013 um 10:11 schrieb Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> On 2013-09-13, at 08:40, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ... but it's not released yet.
>
> Anyway, it looks like we can pretty safely remove it. In particular if the syntax error notifier lets us easily fix an occurrence when trying to load older code - does it?

Personally, I really hate it when those syntax error windows pop up.
I have to abort the whole loading, fix the code by hand and try again, don't I?
  Your comment seems to imply that I can change the respective code and save it?
If so, we _really_ should make that syntax error stuff more accessible.
And probably indicate what preferences to tune to make certain code load.
I mean, Squeak hasn't enabled underscore selectors by default, which
I tripped over several times, with said syntax error window. Would be
gorgeous if the window _could_ indicate which preference to tune…

Best
        -Tobias

Syntax errors (was: Removing OneCharacterSymbols)

Bert Freudenberg
On 2013-09-13, at 10:20, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Am 13.09.2013 um 10:11 schrieb Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
>
>> In particular if the syntax error notifier lets us easily fix an occurrence when trying to load older code - does it?
>
> Personally, I really hate it when those syntax error windows pop up.
> I have to abort the whole loading, fix the code by hand and try again, don't I?
>  Your comment seems to imply that I can change the respective code and save it?
> If so, we _really_ should make that syntax error stuff more accessible.
> And probably indicate what preferences to tune to make certain code load.
> I mean, Squeak hasn't enabled underscore selectors by default, which
> I tripped over several times, with said syntax error window. Would be
> gorgeous if the window _could_ indicate which preference to tune…
>

> Best
> -Tobias

+1

- Bert -

Re: Syntax errors (was: Removing OneCharacterSymbols)

Hannes Hirzel
+1
Any ideas how to implement these suggestions/hints?

for example a hint about the

     underscore assignment?

H.

On 9/13/13, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-09-13, at 10:20, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Am 13.09.2013 um 10:11 schrieb Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> In particular if the syntax error notifier lets us easily fix an
>>> occurrence when trying to load older code - does it?
>>
>> Personally, I really hate it when those syntax error windows pop up.
>> I have to abort the whole loading, fix the code by hand and try again,
>> don't I?
>>  Your comment seems to imply that I can change the respective code and
>> save it?
>> If so, we _really_ should make that syntax error stuff more accessible.
>> And probably indicate what preferences to tune to make certain code load.
>> I mean, Squeak hasn't enabled underscore selectors by default, which
>> I tripped over several times, with said syntax error window. Would be
>> gorgeous if the window _could_ indicate which preference to tune…
>>

>> Best
>> -Tobias
>
> +1
>
> - Bert -

Re: Syntax errors (was: Removing OneCharacterSymbols)

Nicolas Cellier
I've just tested what happens to a source with invalid syntax:
- from a File Browser fileIn action, correcting and accepting source in the SyntaxError pop up let the fileIn continue
- from a MC load action, it won't work because some MethodAddition compiledMethod isNil...

2013/9/13 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
+1
Any ideas how to implement these suggestions/hints?

for example a hint about the

     underscore assignment?

H.

On 9/13/13, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2013-09-13, at 10:20, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Am 13.09.2013 um 10:11 schrieb Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> In particular if the syntax error notifier lets us easily fix an
>>> occurrence when trying to load older code - does it?
>>
>> Personally, I really hate it when those syntax error windows pop up.
>> I have to abort the whole loading, fix the code by hand and try again,
>> don't I?
>>  Your comment seems to imply that I can change the respective code and
>> save it?
>> If so, we _really_ should make that syntax error stuff more accessible.
>> And probably indicate what preferences to tune to make certain code load.
>> I mean, Squeak hasn't enabled underscore selectors by default, which
>> I tripped over several times, with said syntax error window. Would be
>> gorgeous if the window _could_ indicate which preference to tune…
>>

>> Best
>>      -Tobias
>
> +1
>
> - Bert -

Re: Syntax errors (was: Removing OneCharacterSymbols)

Nicolas Cellier
Ah, because SyntaxError>>contents:notifying: is trying to install the compiled method directly in target class...
That does not fit MC expectations at all...
MC expects the compiledMethod to just be compiled and stored in some MethodAddition, not to be installed that soon.

Then The SyntaxError #proceed in the SyntaxErrorNotification signalerContext...
There must be some way to handle that SyntaxErrorNotification differently...
What we want to do is to restart the compilation with a corrected source, that sounds possible.

Nicolas

2013/9/16 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>
I've just tested what happens to a source with invalid syntax:
- from a File Browser fileIn action, correcting and accepting source in the SyntaxError pop up let the fileIn continue
- from a MC load action, it won't work because some MethodAddition compiledMethod isNil...

2013/9/13 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>

+1
Any ideas how to implement these suggestions/hints?

for example a hint about the

     underscore assignment?

H.

On 9/13/13, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2013-09-13, at 10:20, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Am 13.09.2013 um 10:11 schrieb Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> In particular if the syntax error notifier lets us easily fix an
>>> occurrence when trying to load older code - does it?
>>
>> Personally, I really hate it when those syntax error windows pop up.
>> I have to abort the whole loading, fix the code by hand and try again,
>> don't I?
>>  Your comment seems to imply that I can change the respective code and
>> save it?
>> If so, we _really_ should make that syntax error stuff more accessible.
>> And probably indicate what preferences to tune to make certain code load.
>> I mean, Squeak hasn't enabled underscore selectors by default, which
>> I tripped over several times, with said syntax error window. Would be
>> gorgeous if the window _could_ indicate which preference to tune…
>>

>> Best
>>      -Tobias
>
> +1
>
> - Bert -

Re: Syntax errors (was: Removing OneCharacterSymbols)

Nicolas Cellier
After my late changes, it is now possible to interact with a SyntaxError and manually correct source code in the MC loading/merging process.
Maybe the package won't be marked dirty as it should be, but it already is something...
I wanted to favour correction of code over workaround for keeping a statu quo.
So I did not propose yet any change of Preferences/settings.
If many methods are incorrect, the manual change will be too teddious, and won't be of much help.
IMO, the preferences change can come later by analyzing the kind of error and proposing some alternative actions thru the pop up menu, or other means (a line of buttons...).
Better could be an automatic correction (if it ALWAYS works, or at least knows when it works, there is nothing worse than automatic actions that sometimes work, sometimes don't...)

2013/9/16 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>
Ah, because SyntaxError>>contents:notifying: is trying to install the compiled method directly in target class...
That does not fit MC expectations at all...
MC expects the compiledMethod to just be compiled and stored in some MethodAddition, not to be installed that soon.

Then The SyntaxError #proceed in the SyntaxErrorNotification signalerContext...
There must be some way to handle that SyntaxErrorNotification differently...
What we want to do is to restart the compilation with a corrected source, that sounds possible.

Nicolas

2013/9/16 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>
I've just tested what happens to a source with invalid syntax:
- from a File Browser fileIn action, correcting and accepting source in the SyntaxError pop up let the fileIn continue
- from a MC load action, it won't work because some MethodAddition compiledMethod isNil...

2013/9/13 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>

+1
Any ideas how to implement these suggestions/hints?

for example a hint about the

     underscore assignment?

H.

On 9/13/13, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2013-09-13, at 10:20, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Am 13.09.2013 um 10:11 schrieb Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> In particular if the syntax error notifier lets us easily fix an
>>> occurrence when trying to load older code - does it?
>>
>> Personally, I really hate it when those syntax error windows pop up.
>> I have to abort the whole loading, fix the code by hand and try again,
>> don't I?
>>  Your comment seems to imply that I can change the respective code and
>> save it?
>> If so, we _really_ should make that syntax error stuff more accessible.
>> And probably indicate what preferences to tune to make certain code load.
>> I mean, Squeak hasn't enabled underscore selectors by default, which
>> I tripped over several times, with said syntax error window. Would be
>> gorgeous if the window _could_ indicate which preference to tune…
>>

>> Best
>>      -Tobias
>
> +1
>
> - Bert -

Re: Syntax errors (was: Removing OneCharacterSymbols)

Bert Freudenberg
Awesome!

- Bert -

On 2013-09-18, at 22:55, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> Personally, I really hate it when those syntax error windows pop up.
>> I have to abort the whole loading, fix the code by hand and try again,
>> don't I?
>>  Your comment seems to imply that I can change the respective code and
>> save it?
>> If so, we _really_ should make that syntax error stuff more accessible.
>> And probably indicate what preferences to tune to make certain code load.
>> I mean, Squeak hasn't enabled underscore selectors by default, which
>> I tripped over several times, with said syntax error window. Would be
>> gorgeous if the window _could_ indicate which preference to tune…
>>

>> Best
>>      -Tobias
>
> +1
>
> - Bert -

Re: Syntax errors (was: Removing OneCharacterSymbols)

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 18 Sep 2013, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> After my late changes, it is now possible to interact with a SyntaxError and manually correct source code in the MC loading/merging process.
> Maybe the package won't be marked dirty as it should be, but it already is something...
> I wanted to favour correction of code over workaround for keeping a statu quo.
> So I did not propose yet any change of Preferences/settings.
> If many methods are incorrect, the manual change will be too teddious, and won't be of much help.
> IMO, the preferences change can come later by analyzing the kind of error and proposing some alternative actions thru the pop up menu, or other means (a line of buttons...).
> Better could be an automatic correction (if it ALWAYS works, or at least knows when it works, there is nothing worse than automatic actions that sometimes work, sometimes don't...)

This is already a great improvement, but I think the best would be if
there were a way to see which methods/classes won't compile, and need
fixing.

Levente

12