The Inbox: GraphicsExternal-cbc.2.mcz

commits-2
A new version of GraphicsExternal was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/GraphicsExternal-cbc.2.mcz

Name: GraphicsExternal-cbc.2
Author: cbc
Time: 20 April 2017, 2:23:29.777447 pm
UUID: 7a5bf028-13ba-7443-a625-08ecf802fdcf
Ancestors: GraphicsExternal-cbc.1

Move some Form methods only used in conjuction with our classes into this package.

=============== Diff against GraphicsExternal-cbc.1 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Form>>displayScreen (in category '*GraphicsExternal') -----
+ displayScreen
+ "Return the display screen the receiver is allocated on.
+ Forms in general are Squeak internal and not allocated on any particular display."
+ ^nil!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Form>>isBltAccelerated:for: (in category '*GraphicsExternal') -----
+ isBltAccelerated: ruleInteger for: sourceForm
+ "Return true if the receiver can perform accelerated blts operations by itself"
+ ^false!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Form>>isExternalForm (in category '*GraphicsExternal') -----
+ isExternalForm
+ ^false!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Form>>isFillAccelerated:for: (in category '*GraphicsExternal') -----
+ isFillAccelerated: ruleInteger for: aColor
+ "Return true if the receiver can perform accelerated fill operations by itself"
+ ^false!

Re: The Inbox: GraphicsExternal-cbc.2.mcz

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

So where should this go?  It doesn't belong in any of the projects on source.squeak.org except the inbox, and that's just a temporary holding pen.  Should we have a Miscellaneous project? An Extras project?  Should it live somewhere else (please no)?

Author: cbc

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: The Inbox: GraphicsExternal-cbc.2.mcz

David T. Lewis
The class comment of ExternalScreen explains the intent:

  "I represent a DisplayScreen that is not part of the Squeak universe.
  Subclasses must implement the appropriate primitives for creating,
  destroying and allocating the appropriate external objects."

Currently these classes, and any associated methods elsewhere in the image,
are in category "Etoys-Squeakland-Graphics-External".

So a first guess would be that they should be in "Graphics-External", but
that does not work because it is a subset of the existing "Graphics". So
instead it might be "External-Graphics". But there will probably be other
things that we will see as "external" to the "Squeak universe", so I
would propose this:

The package name on source.squeak.org should be "External". The class
categories for these external graphics classes and methods should
be "External-Graphics".

Dave

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 6:58 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

+1.  But what about the project name?  i.e. we have trunk, inbox etc.  Where would External-Foo go in that constellation?

--
best, Eliot

Re: The Inbox: GraphicsExternal-cbc.2.mcz

Bert Freudenberg
On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 8:39 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Why not in trunk? The code was in trunk before ... I'd rather do that than have an "attic" repo.

- Bert -