The Inbox: Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

commits-2
Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

Name: Kernel-fbs.735
Author: fbs
Time: 30 January 2013, 6:33:47.078 pm
UUID: 18ffff61-cfcf-4843-8c64-caea3ceb3fbc
Ancestors: Kernel-fbs.734

Actually, return a Message, and find out the receiver of the Message from the signalercontext.

Also, _returning_ the value of #subclassResponsibility means that you can return to the original caller the value of your just implemented method.

=============== Diff against Kernel-fbs.734 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessage (in category 'converting') -----
+ asMessage
+ | sender selector args |
+ sender := self sender.
+ selector := sender method selector.
+ args := Array new: selector numArgs.
+ 1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
+ ^ Message selector: selector arguments: args.!

Item was removed:
- ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessageSend (in category 'converting') -----
- asMessageSend
- | sender selector args |
- sender := self sender.
- selector := sender method selector.
- args := Array new: selector numArgs.
- 1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
- ^ MessageSend receiver: self receiver selector: selector arguments: args.!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: ContextPart>>exceptionMessage (in category 'accessing') -----
  exceptionMessage
  ^ self selector caseOf: {
  [#doesNotUnderstand:] -> [self tempAt: 1].
+ [#subclassResponsibility] -> [self asMessage]}
- [#subclassResponsibility] -> [self asMessageSend]}
  otherwise: [self error: 'This context is not the result of a message exception.'].!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ContextPart>>selectorCategory (in category 'accessing') -----
+ selectorCategory
+ "Return the category to which this message belongs (relative to the receiver). If no superclass categorises this message, use the default."
+ | organizers |
+ organizers := self receiver class withAllSuperclasses collect: [:ea | ea organization].
+ organizers addFirst: self receiver class organization.
+ ^ (organizers collect: [ :org | org categoryOfElement: self selector])
+ detect: [:ea | ea ~= ClassOrganizer default and: [ ea ~= nil]]
+ ifNone: [ClassOrganizer default]!

Item was removed:
- ----- Method: MessageSend>>selectorCategory (in category 'accessing') -----
- selectorCategory
- "Return the category to which this message belongs (relative to the receiver). If no superclass categorises this message, use the default."
- | organizers |
- organizers := receiver class withAllSuperclasses collect: [:ea | ea organization].
- organizers addFirst: receiver class organization.
- ^ (organizers collect: [ :org | org categoryOfElement: selector])
- detect: [:ea | ea ~= ClassOrganizer default and: [ ea ~= nil]]
- ifNone: [ClassOrganizer default]!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Object>>shouldBeImplemented (in category 'error handling') -----
  shouldBeImplemented
  "Announce that this message should be implemented"

+ ^ NotImplementedError signal: ('{1} or a superclass should implement {2}' format: {self className. thisContext sender selector})!
- NotImplementedError signal: ('{1} or a superclass should implement {2}' format: {self className. thisContext sender selector})!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Object>>subclassResponsibility (in category 'error handling') -----
  subclassResponsibility
  "This message sets up a framework for the behavior of the class' subclasses.
  Announce that the subclass should have implemented this message."
+ ^ SubclassResponsibilityError
- SubclassResponsibilityError
  signal: ('My {1} subclass should have overridden {2}'
  format: {self className. thisContext sender selector}).!

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
On 30 January 2013 18:33,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

> Name: Kernel-fbs.735
> Author: fbs
> Time: 30 January 2013, 6:33:47.078 pm
> UUID: 18ffff61-cfcf-4843-8c64-caea3ceb3fbc
> Ancestors: Kernel-fbs.734
>
> Actually, return a Message, and find out the receiver of the Message from the signalercontext.
>
> Also, _returning_ the value of #subclassResponsibility means that you can return to the original caller the value of your just implemented method.
>
> =============== Diff against Kernel-fbs.734 ===============
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessage (in category 'converting') -----
> + asMessage
> +       | sender selector args |
> +       sender := self sender.
> +       selector := sender method selector.
> +       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
> +       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
> +       ^ Message selector: selector arguments: args.!
>
> Item was removed:
> - ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessageSend (in category 'converting') -----
> - asMessageSend
> -       | sender selector args |
> -       sender := self sender.
> -       selector := sender method selector.
> -       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
> -       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
> -       ^ MessageSend receiver: self receiver selector: selector arguments: args.!

<snip>

Diffs serve as a helper for reviewers. To that end, the diffs ought to
actually show what changes would be applied to trunk should the change
be accepted. This diff, for instance, shows the removal of
#asMessageSend and the addition of #asMessage, but really the change
applied to trunk will be just the addition of #asMessage.

In other words when something undergoes a few rounds of review (and
I'd think this should be the _norm_) the reviewer must reconstruct a
series of diffs to get an idea of how trunk will change.

Wouldn't it be better to diff against trunk rather than against the
mcz's ancestor? (*)

frank

(*) This is actually how github's pull requests work: you _can_ see
the commit history, but you also have a straight "this is what will
change" view, which is where I normally look.

cbc

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 30 January 2013 18:33,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

> Name: Kernel-fbs.735
> Author: fbs
> Time: 30 January 2013, 6:33:47.078 pm
> UUID: 18ffff61-cfcf-4843-8c64-caea3ceb3fbc
> Ancestors: Kernel-fbs.734
>
> Actually, return a Message, and find out the receiver of the Message from the signalercontext.
>
> Also, _returning_ the value of #subclassResponsibility means that you can return to the original caller the value of your just implemented method.
>
> =============== Diff against Kernel-fbs.734 ===============
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessage (in category 'converting') -----
> + asMessage
> +       | sender selector args |
> +       sender := self sender.
> +       selector := sender method selector.
> +       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
> +       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
> +       ^ Message selector: selector arguments: args.!
>
> Item was removed:
> - ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessageSend (in category 'converting') -----
> - asMessageSend
> -       | sender selector args |
> -       sender := self sender.
> -       selector := sender method selector.
> -       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
> -       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
> -       ^ MessageSend receiver: self receiver selector: selector arguments: args.!

<snip>

Diffs serve as a helper for reviewers. To that end, the diffs ought to
actually show what changes would be applied to trunk should the change
be accepted. This diff, for instance, shows the removal of
#asMessageSend and the addition of #asMessage, but really the change
applied to trunk will be just the addition of #asMessage.

In other words when something undergoes a few rounds of review (and
I'd think this should be the _norm_) the reviewer must reconstruct a
series of diffs to get an idea of how trunk will change.

Wouldn't it be better to diff against trunk rather than against the
mcz's ancestor? (*)

frank
Yes, it would be better to diff against trunk.  But 'Trunk' isn't a defined state - what you have currently as Trunk isn't what I have currently as trunk - I haven't updated as recently as you have, for instance, so the changes that will be applied if I accepted/updated will be different than if you accept/update.

Maybe you are talking about diffs against the most recent predecessor in the Trunk Repository?  That should be doable - but if there is no predecessor (a completely new package is moved in), then all of the messages are new.

-Chris

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

Bert Freudenberg

Am 30.01.2013 um 19:50 schrieb Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

> On 30 January 2013 18:33,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

>> Name: Kernel-fbs.735
>> Author: fbs
>> Time: 30 January 2013, 6:33:47.078 pm
>> UUID: 18ffff61-cfcf-4843-8c64-caea3ceb3fbc
>> Ancestors: Kernel-fbs.734
>>
>> Actually, return a Message, and find out the receiver of the Message from the signalercontext.
>>
>> Also, _returning_ the value of #subclassResponsibility means that you can return to the original caller the value of your just implemented method.
>>
>> =============== Diff against Kernel-fbs.734 ===============
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessage (in category 'converting') -----
>> + asMessage
>> +       | sender selector args |
>> +       sender := self sender.
>> +       selector := sender method selector.
>> +       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
>> +       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
>> +       ^ Message selector: selector arguments: args.!
>>
>> Item was removed:
>> - ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessageSend (in category 'converting') -----
>> - asMessageSend
>> -       | sender selector args |
>> -       sender := self sender.
>> -       selector := sender method selector.
>> -       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
>> -       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
>> -       ^ MessageSend receiver: self receiver selector: selector arguments: args.!
>
> <snip>
>
> Diffs serve as a helper for reviewers. To that end, the diffs ought to
> actually show what changes would be applied to trunk should the change
> be accepted. This diff, for instance, shows the removal of
> #asMessageSend and the addition of #asMessage, but really the change
> applied to trunk will be just the addition of #asMessage.
>
> In other words when something undergoes a few rounds of review (and
> I'd think this should be the _norm_) the reviewer must reconstruct a
> series of diffs to get an idea of how trunk will change.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to diff against trunk rather than against the
> mcz's ancestor? (*)
>
> frank

You should move obsolete versions out of the inbox. The diff is against the latest ancestor in inbox or trunk.

We could change that to prefer trunk over inbox as diff base, agreed. Care to submit a squeaksource patch? :)

- Bert -

On 31 January 2013 06:31, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 30.01.2013 um 19:50 schrieb Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 30 January 2013 18:33,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Inbox:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-fbs.735.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Kernel-fbs.735
>>> Author: fbs
>>> Time: 30 January 2013, 6:33:47.078 pm
>>> UUID: 18ffff61-cfcf-4843-8c64-caea3ceb3fbc
>>> Ancestors: Kernel-fbs.734
>>>
>>> Actually, return a Message, and find out the receiver of the Message from the signalercontext.
>>>
>>> Also, _returning_ the value of #subclassResponsibility means that you can return to the original caller the value of your just implemented method.
>>>
>>> =============== Diff against Kernel-fbs.734 ===============
>>>
>>> Item was added:
>>> + ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessage (in category 'converting') -----
>>> + asMessage
>>> +       | sender selector args |
>>> +       sender := self sender.
>>> +       selector := sender method selector.
>>> +       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
>>> +       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
>>> +       ^ Message selector: selector arguments: args.!
>>>
>>> Item was removed:
>>> - ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessageSend (in category 'converting') -----
>>> - asMessageSend
>>> -       | sender selector args |
>>> -       sender := self sender.
>>> -       selector := sender method selector.
>>> -       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
>>> -       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
>>> -       ^ MessageSend receiver: self receiver selector: selector arguments: args.!
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Diffs serve as a helper for reviewers. To that end, the diffs ought to
>> actually show what changes would be applied to trunk should the change
>> be accepted. This diff, for instance, shows the removal of
>> #asMessageSend and the addition of #asMessage, but really the change
>> applied to trunk will be just the addition of #asMessage.
>>
>> In other words when something undergoes a few rounds of review (and
>> I'd think this should be the _norm_) the reviewer must reconstruct a
>> series of diffs to get an idea of how trunk will change.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to diff against trunk rather than against the
>> mcz's ancestor? (*)
>>
>> frank
>
> You should move obsolete versions out of the inbox. The diff is against the latest ancestor in inbox or trunk.

OK, but if we do that then we lose ancestry. I know what you're
hinting at, and I'd also like to see the equivalent of a git squash -
"take these versions in this branch and squish them together so that
the main line only sees a single commit". Right now that's pretty
onerous: it'd be a manual task, fraught with opportunities to mess up.
Er, actually, am I talking nonsense? Given some series of mczs, once
the chain/latest has passed peer review, I could

* load the latest versions into a clean up-to-date image
* file out the versions (so we flush the ancestry)
* load the fileouts into a clean up-to-date image
* commit to trunk, with suitable commit messages.

That's nearly automatable, except for the commit messages.

> We could change that to prefer trunk over inbox as diff base, agreed. Care to submit a squeaksource patch? :)

*ahem*. OK - that's http://source.squeak.org/SqueakSource-SqF/ right?

frank

On 31 January 2013 09:36, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 January 2013 06:31, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Diffs serve as a helper for reviewers. To that end, the diffs ought to
>>> actually show what changes would be applied to trunk should the change
>>> be accepted. This diff, for instance, shows the removal of
>>> #asMessageSend and the addition of #asMessage, but really the change
>>> applied to trunk will be just the addition of #asMessage.
>>>
>>> In other words when something undergoes a few rounds of review (and
>>> I'd think this should be the _norm_) the reviewer must reconstruct a
>>> series of diffs to get an idea of how trunk will change.
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be better to diff against trunk rather than against the
>>> mcz's ancestor? (*)
>>>
>>> frank
>>
>> You should move obsolete versions out of the inbox. The diff is against the latest ancestor in inbox or trunk.
>
> OK, but if we do that then we lose ancestry. I know what you're
> hinting at, and I'd also like to see the equivalent of a git squash -
> "take these versions in this branch and squish them together so that
> the main line only sees a single commit". Right now that's pretty
> onerous: it'd be a manual task, fraught with opportunities to mess up.
> Er, actually, am I talking nonsense? Given some series of mczs, once
> the chain/latest has passed peer review, I could
>
> * load the latest versions into a clean up-to-date image
> * file out the versions (so we flush the ancestry)
> * load the fileouts into a clean up-to-date image
> * commit to trunk, with suitable commit messages.
>
> That's nearly automatable, except for the commit messages.
>
>> We could change that to prefer trunk over inbox as diff base, agreed. Care to submit a squeaksource patch? :)
>
> *ahem*. OK - that's http://source.squeak.org/SqueakSource-SqF/ right?

Sorry, I obviously meant

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://source.squeak.org/ss'
    user: ''
    password: ''

On 31 January 2013 09:49, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 January 2013 09:36, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You should move obsolete versions out of the inbox. The diff is against the latest ancestor in inbox or trunk.
>>
>> OK, but if we do that then we lose ancestry. I know what you're
>> hinting at, and I'd also like to see the equivalent of a git squash -
>> "take these versions in this branch and squish them together so that
>> the main line only sees a single commit". Right now that's pretty
>> onerous: it'd be a manual task, fraught with opportunities to mess up.
>> Er, actually, am I talking nonsense? Given some series of mczs, once
>> the chain/latest has passed peer review, I could
>>
>> * load the latest versions into a clean up-to-date image
>> * file out the versions (so we flush the ancestry)
>> * load the fileouts into a clean up-to-date image
>> * commit to trunk, with suitable commit messages.
>>
>> That's nearly automatable, except for the commit messages.
>>
>>> We could change that to prefer trunk over inbox as diff base, agreed. Care to submit a squeaksource patch? :)
>>
>> *ahem*. OK - that's http://source.squeak.org/SqueakSource-SqF/ right?
>
> Sorry, I obviously meant
>
> MCHttpRepository
>     location: 'http://source.squeak.org/ss'
>     user: ''
>     password: ''

Also, how do I load it? It looks like it at least depends on Seaside.
Any chance of an Installer script?

>> frank
>>
>>> - Bert -

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

Tobias Pape
Am 31.01.2013 um 10:36 schrieb Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

> On 31 January 2013 06:31, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Am 30.01.2013 um 19:50 schrieb Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> On 30 January 2013 18:33,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Diffs serve as a helper for reviewers. To that end, the diffs ought to
>>> actually show what changes would be applied to trunk should the change
>>> be accepted. This diff, for instance, shows the removal of
>>> #asMessageSend and the addition of #asMessage, but really the change
>>> applied to trunk will be just the addition of #asMessage.
>>>
>>> In other words when something undergoes a few rounds of review (and
>>> I'd think this should be the _norm_) the reviewer must reconstruct a
>>> series of diffs to get an idea of how trunk will change.
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be better to diff against trunk rather than against the
>>> mcz's ancestor? (*)
>>>
>>> frank
>>
>> You should move obsolete versions out of the inbox. The diff is against the latest ancestor in inbox or trunk.
>
> OK, but if we do that then we lose ancestry. I know what you're
> hinting at, and I'd also like to see the equivalent of a git squash -
> "take these versions in this branch and squish them together so that
> the main line only sees a single commit".

What about the "adopt ancestor" option of monticello?
This would neatly allow this.

BEst
        -Tobias

> Right now that's pretty
> onerous: it'd be a manual task, fraught with opportunities to mess up.
> Er, actually, am I talking nonsense? Given some series of mczs, once
> the chain/latest has passed peer review, I could
>
> * load the latest versions into a clean up-to-date image
> * file out the versions (so we flush the ancestry)
> * load the fileouts into a clean up-to-date image
> * commit to trunk, with suitable commit messages.
>
> That's nearly automatable, except for the commit messages.
>
>> We could change that to prefer trunk over inbox as diff base, agreed. Care to submit a squeaksource patch? :)
>
> *ahem*. OK - that's http://source.squeak.org/SqueakSource-SqF/ right?

and http://www.squeaksource.com/squeaksource3
*tongueincheek*
;)

Best
        -Tobias

On 2013-01-31, at 10:36, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 January 2013 06:31, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Am 30.01.2013 um 19:50 schrieb Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Wouldn't it be better to diff against trunk rather than against the
>>> mcz's ancestor? (*)
>>>
>>> frank
>>
>> You should move obsolete versions out of the inbox. The diff is against the latest ancestor in inbox or trunk.
>
> OK, but if we do that then we lose ancestry.

How so? All ancestry info is stored in each package version.

> I know what you're
> hinting at, and I'd also like to see the equivalent of a git squash -
> "take these versions in this branch and squish them together so that
> the main line only sees a single commit".

That's pretty much what happens if you move or merge a version into trunk.

> Right now that's pretty
> onerous: it'd be a manual task, fraught with opportunities to mess up.
> Er, actually, am I talking nonsense? Given some series of mczs, once
> the chain/latest has passed peer review, I could
>
> * load the latest versions into a clean up-to-date image
> * file out the versions (so we flush the ancestry)
> * load the fileouts into a clean up-to-date image
> * commit to trunk, with suitable commit messages.
>
> That's nearly automatable, except for the commit messages.

No, you would just merge your latest inbox thingy into trunk, and explain what that does in the commit message. When other people update, that's the only commit they see.

- Bert -

On 2013-01-31, at 10:51, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 January 2013 09:49, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> MCHttpRepository
>>    location: 'http://source.squeak.org/ss'
>>    user: ''
>>    password: ''
>
> Also, how do I load it? It looks like it at least depends on Seaside.
> Any chance of an Installer script?

Try SSLoader-ar.1.mcm (no guarantees though).

- Bert -

On 31 January 2013 00:16, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 30 January 2013 18:33,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Inbox:
>> > http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-fbs.735.mcz
>> >
>> > ==================== Summary ====================
>> >
>> > Name: Kernel-fbs.735
>> > Author: fbs
>> > Time: 30 January 2013, 6:33:47.078 pm
>> > UUID: 18ffff61-cfcf-4843-8c64-caea3ceb3fbc
>> > Ancestors: Kernel-fbs.734
>> >
>> > Actually, return a Message, and find out the receiver of the Message
>> > from the signalercontext.
>> >
>> > Also, _returning_ the value of #subclassResponsibility means that you
>> > can return to the original caller the value of your just implemented method.
>> >
>> > =============== Diff against Kernel-fbs.734 ===============
>> >
>> > Item was added:
>> > + ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessage (in category 'converting') -----
>> > + asMessage
>> > +       | sender selector args |
>> > +       sender := self sender.
>> > +       selector := sender method selector.
>> > +       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
>> > +       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender
>> > tempAt: i)].
>> > +       ^ Message selector: selector arguments: args.!
>> >
>> > Item was removed:
>> > - ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessageSend (in category 'converting')
>> > -----
>> > - asMessageSend
>> > -       | sender selector args |
>> > -       sender := self sender.
>> > -       selector := sender method selector.
>> > -       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
>> > -       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender
>> > tempAt: i)].
>> > -       ^ MessageSend receiver: self receiver selector: selector
>> > arguments: args.!
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Diffs serve as a helper for reviewers. To that end, the diffs ought to
>> actually show what changes would be applied to trunk should the change
>> be accepted. This diff, for instance, shows the removal of
>> #asMessageSend and the addition of #asMessage, but really the change
>> applied to trunk will be just the addition of #asMessage.
>>
>> In other words when something undergoes a few rounds of review (and
>> I'd think this should be the _norm_) the reviewer must reconstruct a
>> series of diffs to get an idea of how trunk will change.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to diff against trunk rather than against the
>> mcz's ancestor? (*)
>>
>> frank
>
> Yes, it would be better to diff against trunk.  But 'Trunk' isn't a defined
> state - what you have currently as Trunk isn't what I have currently as
> trunk - I haven't updated as recently as you have, for instance, so the
> changes that will be applied if I accepted/updated will be different than if
> you accept/update.

No, "trunk" is whatever the trunk repo says.

Once I figure out how to load the version of ss3 that SqF runs and
turned it into an SM package (*), I'll submit the patch Bert asked
for, and we'll have diffs against the trunk repo.

frank

(*) Is it possible to transfer ownership of a package in SM? I guess
adding a new admin would be the way...

Am 31.01.2013 um 23:56 schrieb Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

> On 31 January 2013 00:16, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 30 January 2013 18:33,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Diffs serve as a helper for reviewers. To that end, the diffs ought to
>>> actually show what changes would be applied to trunk should the change
>>> be accepted. This diff, for instance, shows the removal of
>>> #asMessageSend and the addition of #asMessage, but really the change
>>> applied to trunk will be just the addition of #asMessage.
>>>
>>> In other words when something undergoes a few rounds of review (and
>>> I'd think this should be the _norm_) the reviewer must reconstruct a
>>> series of diffs to get an idea of how trunk will change.
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be better to diff against trunk rather than against the
>>> mcz's ancestor? (*)
>>>
>>> frank
>>
>> Yes, it would be better to diff against trunk.  But 'Trunk' isn't a defined
>> state - what you have currently as Trunk isn't what I have currently as
>> trunk - I haven't updated as recently as you have, for instance, so the
>> changes that will be applied if I accepted/updated will be different than if
>> you accept/update.
>
> No, "trunk" is whatever the trunk repo says.
>
> Once I figure out how to load the version of ss3 that SqF runs and
> turned it into an SM package (*), I'll submit the patch Bert asked
> for, and we'll have diffs against the trunk repo.

Hello Frank.
I just want to make sure that you know that source.squeak.org is
_not_ running ss3. While I am reguarily “harvesting” features from
the source.squeak.org version into ss3, its not the version running
there :)

best
        -tobas

On 1 February 2013 10:47, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 31.01.2013 um 23:56 schrieb Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 31 January 2013 00:16, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes, it would be better to diff against trunk.  But 'Trunk' isn't a defined
>>> state - what you have currently as Trunk isn't what I have currently as
>>> trunk - I haven't updated as recently as you have, for instance, so the
>>> changes that will be applied if I accepted/updated will be different than if
>>> you accept/update.
>>
>> No, "trunk" is whatever the trunk repo says.
>>
>> Once I figure out how to load the version of ss3 that SqF runs and
>> turned it into an SM package (*), I'll submit the patch Bert asked
>> for, and we'll have diffs against the trunk repo.
>>

> Hello Frank.
> I just want to make sure that you know that source.squeak.org is
> _not_ running ss3. While I am reguarily “harvesting” features from
> the source.squeak.org version into ss3, its not the version running
> there :)

Hi Tobias,

Sorry, yes, I misspoke, because I completely misunderstood your
mentioning of ss3 earlier in the thread. You were asking me to submit
a patch to ss3 in addition to ss-SqF.

frank

On 31 January 2013 10:00, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 31.01.2013 um 10:36 schrieb Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

>>> You should move obsolete versions out of the inbox. The diff is against the latest ancestor in inbox or trunk.
>>
>> OK, but if we do that then we lose ancestry. I know what you're
>> hinting at, and I'd also like to see the equivalent of a git squash -
>> "take these versions in this branch and squish them together so that
>> the main line only sees a single commit".
>
> What about the "adopt ancestor" option of monticello?
> This would neatly allow this.

It look me a while to find it (it's the "Backport" button, right?),
but it's just what I wanted. Thanks!

frank