The Inbox: Kernel-hjh.1115.mcz

commits-2
A new version of Kernel was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-hjh.1115.mcz

Name: Kernel-hjh.1115
Author: hjh
Time: 5 October 2017, 1:03:22.023466 pm
UUID: c80056e1-3f90-4dae-935f-2507eb2c0f94
Ancestors: Kernel-cmm.1114

Better to have only a short class comment than to have wrong content.

Squeak 3.0 had message categories
- code pane menu
- message list menu.

I did not verify if 'in some the text is a method' still applies or not.

=============== Diff against Kernel-cmm.1114 ===============

Item was changed:
  Model subclass: #StringHolder
  instanceVariableNames: 'contents'
  classVariableNames: ''
  poolDictionaries: ''
  category: 'Kernel-Models'!

+ !StringHolder commentStamp: 'hjh 10/5/2017 13:00' prior: 0!
- !StringHolder commentStamp: '<historical>' prior: 0!
  I am a kind of Model that includes a piece of text.  In some cases, the text can be edited, and in some the text is a method.
+ !
-
- Categories 'code pane menu' and 'message list menu' are messages that may be called by my menus when the text is a method, and when some pane is a list of methods.  Other of my subclasses may ignore these two catagories altogether.!

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-hjh.1115.mcz

Hannes Hirzel
Squeak 6.0a StringHolder no longer has message list categories
- code pane menu
- message list menu

HH

StringHolder_message_list_category_and_code_pane_menu_Screenshot2017-10-05.png (51K) Download Attachment
Squeak3.9_StringHolder_no_longer_has_message_list_category_Screenshot_2017-10-05.png (61K) Download Attachment

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-hjh.1115.mcz

Hannes Hirzel
Pharo no longer has a class 'StringHolder'. There considerable
discussion on the Pharo list about this. One issue was documentation

<citation>

Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:42 AM
To: Moose-related development <[hidden email]>

Doru the key difference with stringHolder is that in StringHolder
nobody understand how it works.
Because it I would know I would go way faster. So I suggest that we
spend next two weeks not typing code on moose but only fixing comments
and we will get a real impact.
For pharo I have always to reverse engineer (network, filesystem...)
because people forget that a soft is finihsed with it is really
documented.

</citation>

This update is a very modest contribution to the documentation of
StringHolder  :-)

More input is welcome....

HH

On 10/5/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Squeak 6.0a StringHolder no longer has message list categories
> - code pane menu
> - message list menu
>
> HH
>

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 11:04:01 0000, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A new version of Kernel was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-hjh.1115.mcz

>> Name: Kernel-hjh.1115
>> Author: hjh
>> Time: 5 October 2017, 1:03:22.023466 pm
>> UUID: c80056e1-3f90-4dae-935f-2507eb2c0f94
>> Ancestors: Kernel-cmm.1114
>>
>> Better to have only a short class comment than to have wrong content.
>>
>> Squeak 3.0 had message categories
>> - code pane menu
>> - message list menu.
>>
>> I did not verify if 'in some the text is a method' still applies or not.
>>
>> =============== Diff against Kernel-cmm.1114 ===============
>>
>> Item was changed:
>>   Model subclass: #StringHolder
>>   instanceVariableNames: 'contents'
>>   classVariableNames: ''
>>   poolDictionaries: ''
>>   category: 'Kernel-Models'!
>>
>> + !StringHolder commentStamp: 'hjh 10/5/2017 13:00' prior: 0!
>> - !StringHolder commentStamp: '<historical>' prior: 0!
>>   I am a kind of Model that includes a piece of text.  In some cases, the
>> text can be edited, and in some the text is a method.
>> + !
>> -
>> - Categories 'code pane menu' and 'message list menu' are messages that
>> may
>> be called by my menus when the text is a method, and when some pane is a
>> list of methods.  Other of my subclasses may ignore these two catagories
>> altogether.!

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-hjh.1115.mcz

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

I think that new tools should either subclass CodeHolder or Model. We can try to shrink the interface of StringHolder in the future.

Best,
Marcel

Am 05.10.2017 13:29:08 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

Pharo no longer has a class 'StringHolder'. There considerable
discussion on the Pharo list about this. One issue was documentation

Stéphane Ducasse
Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:42 AM
To: Moose-related development

On 10/5/17, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Squeak 6.0a StringHolder no longer has message list categories
> - code pane menu
> - message list menu
>
> HH
>

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 11:04:01 0000, [hidden email]
> wrote:
>> A new version of Kernel was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-hjh.1115.mcz

>> Name: Kernel-hjh.1115
>> Author: hjh
>> Time: 5 October 2017, 1:03:22.023466 pm
>> UUID: c80056e1-3f90-4dae-935f-2507eb2c0f94
>> Ancestors: Kernel-cmm.1114
>>
>> Better to have only a short class comment than to have wrong content.
>>
>> Squeak 3.0 had message categories
>> - code pane menu
>> - message list menu.
>>
>> I did not verify if 'in some the text is a method' still applies or not.
>>
>> =============== Diff against Kernel-cmm.1114 ===============
>>
>> Item was changed:
>> Model subclass: #StringHolder
>> instanceVariableNames: 'contents'
>> classVariableNames: ''
>> poolDictionaries: ''
>> category: 'Kernel-Models'!
>>
>> + !StringHolder commentStamp: 'hjh 10/5/2017 13:00' prior: 0!
>> - !StringHolder commentStamp: '' prior: 0!
>> I am a kind of Model that includes a piece of text. In some cases, the
>> text can be edited, and in some the text is a method.
>> + !
>> -
>> - Categories 'code pane menu' and 'message list menu' are messages that
>> may
>> be called by my menus when the text is a method, and when some pane is a
>> list of methods. Other of my subclasses may ignore these two catagories
>> altogether.!

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-hjh.1115.mcz

Hannes Hirzel
I agree, Marcel. Please, what is this nice tool you have been using
for the screen shot?
--Hannes

On 10/5/17, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> =============== Diff against Kernel-cmm.1114 ===============
>>>
>>> Item was changed:
>>> Model subclass: #StringHolder
>>> instanceVariableNames: 'contents'
>>> classVariableNames: ''
>>> poolDictionaries: ''
>>> category: 'Kernel-Models'!
>>>
>>> + !StringHolder commentStamp: 'hjh 10/5/2017 13:00' prior: 0!
>>> - !StringHolder commentStamp: '' prior: 0!
>>> I am a kind of Model that includes a piece of text. In some cases, the
>>> text can be edited, and in some the text is a method.
>>> + !
>>> -
>>> - Categories 'code pane menu' and 'message list menu' are messages that
>>> may
>>> be called by my menus when the text is a method, and when some pane is a
>>> list of methods. Other of my subclasses may ignore these two catagories

I am using Vivide [1], whose standard scripts make use of Widgets [2]. There are pre-configured Squeak images [3].

Best,
Marcel

On 10/5/17, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> =============== Diff against Kernel-cmm.1114 ===============
>>>
>>> Item was changed:
>>> Model subclass: #StringHolder
>>> instanceVariableNames: 'contents'
>>> classVariableNames: ''
>>> poolDictionaries: ''
>>> category: 'Kernel-Models'!
>>>
>>> + !StringHolder commentStamp: 'hjh 10/5/2017 13:00' prior: 0!
>>> - !StringHolder commentStamp: '' prior: 0!
>>> I am a kind of Model that includes a piece of text. In some cases, the
>>> text can be edited, and in some the text is a method.
>>> + !
>>> -
>>> - Categories 'code pane menu' and 'message list menu' are messages that
>>> may
>>> be called by my menus when the text is a method, and when some pane is a
>>> list of methods. Other of my subclasses may ignore these two catagories

Hi, Hannes.

Here is the script that produced the output. Just do-it in a workspace:

{

[:in :out | in do: [:class | out add: {
    #object -> class.
    #text -> (ViLabelService doObject: class).
    #icon -> (ViIconService doObject: class) } ]]
  -> { #isProperty -> true.
       #view -> ViTreeViewExtended }.

[:in :out | in do: [:class | out add: {
    #object -> class.
    #text  -> (ViObjectOriginService doObject: class) } ]]
  -> {(#isProperty -> true)}.

[:in :out | in do: [:class | out addAll: class subclasses]].

1. "reference to the first step"
} asScript openScriptWith: {StringHolder}.

Best,
Marcel