The Inbox: Kernel-tfel.508.mcz

commits-2
A new version of Kernel was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-tfel.508.mcz

Name: Kernel-tfel.508
Author: tfel
Time: 25 October 2010, 5:57:52.272 pm
UUID: e4b5510d-6f93-47cb-9341-34faf8c91abd
Ancestors: Kernel-ul.507

Add method to get latest OmniBrowser working on trunk.

=============== Diff against Kernel-ul.507 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Behavior>>withAllSuperAndSubclassesDo: (in category 'enumerating') -----
+ withAllSuperAndSubclassesDo: aBlock
+ self allSuperclassesDo: aBlock.
+ aBlock value: self.
+ self allSubclassesDoGently: aBlock!

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-tfel.508.mcz

Tobias Pape
Hey Tim,
(hey List)
please revoke this (however we do this in the trunk/inbox-process)

Your version of withAllSuperAndSubclassesDo: uses
#allSubclassesDoGently: hence will probably bring in
non-in-memory objects.
FWIT I today (or yesterday) put a similar version into the inbox,
using #allSubclassesDo: instead of #allSubclassesDoGently:

So Long,
        -Tobias

> Name: Kernel-tfel.508
> Author: tfel
> Time: 25 October 2010, 5:57:52.272 pm
> UUID: e4b5510d-6f93-47cb-9341-34faf8c91abd
> Ancestors: Kernel-ul.507
>
> Add method to get latest OmniBrowser working on trunk.
>
> =============== Diff against Kernel-ul.507 ===============
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: Behavior>>withAllSuperAndSubclassesDo: (in category 'enumerating') -----
> + withAllSuperAndSubclassesDo: aBlock
> + self allSuperclassesDo: aBlock.
> + aBlock value: self.
> + self allSubclassesDoGently: aBlock!

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-tfel.508.mcz

Bert Freudenberg
On 25.10.2010, at 18:01, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Your version of withAllSuperAndSubclassesDo: uses
> #allSubclassesDoGently: hence will probably bring in
> non-in-memory objects.

The point of being gentle is to not touch swapped out objects. If no objects are out, the methods should behave identically, so it is not outright wrong to use them.

- Bert -

Am 2010-10-25 um 18:05 schrieb Bert Freudenberg:
> On 25.10.2010, at 18:01, Tobias Pape wrote:
>
>> Your version of withAllSuperAndSubclassesDo: uses
>> #allSubclassesDoGently: hence will probably bring in
>> non-in-memory objects.
>
> The point of being gentle is to not touch swapped out objects. If no objects are out, the methods should behave identically, so it is not outright wrong to use them.

but with #withAllSuperAndSubclassesDo: and #withAllSuperAndSubclassesDoGently: available
I would suspect that the latter guarantees that swapped out objects remain
untouched while the former will touch them, which is not given with Tim's implementation :)

So long,
        -Tobias