The Inbox: Kernel-tonyg.1212.mcz

commits-2
A new version of Kernel was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-tonyg.1212.mcz

Name: Kernel-tonyg.1212
Author: tonyg
Time: 29 January 2019, 5:20:15.285274 pm
UUID: b291eae8-dfde-4ee1-b5dd-a351cb270ec9
Ancestors: Kernel-mt.1211, Kernel-tonyg.1153

Merge "Improve promise resolution error handling via #fulfillWith:."

=============== Diff against Kernel-mt.1211 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Promise>>fulfillWith: (in category 'resolving') -----
+ fulfillWith: aBlock
+ self fulfillWith: aBlock passErrors: rejecters isEmpty!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Promise>>fulfillWith:passErrors: (in category 'resolving') -----
+ fulfillWith: aBlock passErrors: aBoolean
+ "Evaluate aBlock. If it signals an exception, reject this promise with the exception
+ as the argument; if it returns a value [or another Promise], resolve this promise
+ with the result.
+
+ If aBoolean is true, and an exception is signaled, it is passed out to the caller.
+ If aBoolean is false, signaled exceptions are considered handled after the promise
+ has been rejected."
+ [ self resolveWith: aBlock value ]
+ on: Exception
+ do: [ :ex |
+ (ex isKindOf: Halt)
+ ifTrue: [ex pass]
+ ifFalse: [
+ self rejectWith: ex.
+ aBoolean ifTrue: [ ex pass ] ]]!

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-tonyg.1212.mcz

Tony Garnock-Jones-5
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just now tried to use my Core
Committer powers for the first time (!) to save a .mcz directly to
trunk, and it complained I was not authorized.

What am I doing wrong, do you think?

I'd completely understand if, in the year (!!) since I was admitted to
Core Committer status, my not actually getting time to do any committing
has led to that status being revoked, for example...

... or it could also be that I missed the memo on how I'm supposed to
proceed to get commits onto trunk, in which case sorry.

Tony

On 1/29/19 5:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> A new version of Kernel was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-tonyg.1212.mcz

> Name: Kernel-tonyg.1212
> Author: tonyg
> Time: 29 January 2019, 5:20:15.285274 pm
> UUID: b291eae8-dfde-4ee1-b5dd-a351cb270ec9
> Ancestors: Kernel-mt.1211, Kernel-tonyg.1153
>
> Merge "Improve promise resolution error handling via #fulfillWith:."
>
> =============== Diff against Kernel-mt.1211 ===============
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: Promise>>fulfillWith: (in category 'resolving') -----
> + fulfillWith: aBlock
> + self fulfillWith: aBlock passErrors: rejecters isEmpty!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: Promise>>fulfillWith:passErrors: (in category 'resolving') -----
> + fulfillWith: aBlock passErrors: aBoolean
> + "Evaluate aBlock. If it signals an exception, reject this promise with the exception
> + as the argument; if it returns a value [or another Promise], resolve this promise
> + with the result.
> +
> + If aBoolean is true, and an exception is signaled, it is passed out to the caller.
> + If aBoolean is false, signaled exceptions are considered handled after the promise
> + has been rejected."
> + [ self resolveWith: aBlock value ]
> + on: Exception
> + do: [ :ex |
> + (ex isKindOf: Halt)
> + ifTrue: [ex pass]
> + ifFalse: [
> + self rejectWith: ex.
> + aBoolean ifTrue: [ ex pass ] ]]!

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-tonyg.1212.mcz

Levente Uzonyi
Hi Tony,

You have to add your username and password to the Trunk repository. Open
the Monticello Browser, right click on the Trunk repository's line, select
edit repository info and change the content to:

MCHttpRepository
  location: 'https://source.squeak.org/trunk'
  user: 'tonyg'
  password: '*****'

with your actuall password instead of stars of course.
Note that I used https instead of http, because SSL has recently been
enabled on source.squeak.org.

Once done, you'll be able to commit to Trunk directly, but I suggest you
only do that when you're 100% sure that your changes work.
I prefer to save work to the package cache first, then load it to a Trunk
image and once it works there, I just use the copy feature of MC to copy
the package to the Trunk.

Since you have already commited your changes to the Inbox, I suggest you
log in to https://source.squeak.org via a web browser, select the Inbox
repository, navigate to the Latest tab, find the package you want to move
to the Trunk, click on details, and finally click on the Move to The Trunk
button. That way you won't have to clean the packages from the Inbox.

Levente

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just now tried to use my Core
> Committer powers for the first time (!) to save a .mcz directly to
> trunk, and it complained I was not authorized.
>
> What am I doing wrong, do you think?
>
> I'd completely understand if, in the year (!!) since I was admitted to
> Core Committer status, my not actually getting time to do any committing
> has led to that status being revoked, for example...
>
> ... or it could also be that I missed the memo on how I'm supposed to
> proceed to get commits onto trunk, in which case sorry.
>
> Tony

>> A new version of Kernel was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-tonyg.1212.mcz

>> Name: Kernel-tonyg.1212
>> Author: tonyg
>> Time: 29 January 2019, 5:20:15.285274 pm
>> UUID: b291eae8-dfde-4ee1-b5dd-a351cb270ec9
>> Ancestors: Kernel-mt.1211, Kernel-tonyg.1153
>>
>> Merge "Improve promise resolution error handling via #fulfillWith:."
>>
>> =============== Diff against Kernel-mt.1211 ===============
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: Promise>>fulfillWith: (in category 'resolving') -----
>> + fulfillWith: aBlock
>> + self fulfillWith: aBlock passErrors: rejecters isEmpty!
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: Promise>>fulfillWith:passErrors: (in category 'resolving') -----
>> + fulfillWith: aBlock passErrors: aBoolean
>> + "Evaluate aBlock. If it signals an exception, reject this promise with the exception
>> + as the argument; if it returns a value [or another Promise], resolve this promise
>> + with the result.
>> +
>> + If aBoolean is true, and an exception is signaled, it is passed out to the caller.
>> + If aBoolean is false, signaled exceptions are considered handled after the promise
>> + has been rejected."
>> + [ self resolveWith: aBlock value ]
>> + on: Exception
>> + do: [ :ex |
>> + (ex isKindOf: Halt)
>> + ifTrue: [ex pass]
>> + ifFalse: [
>> + self rejectWith: ex.
>> + aBoolean ifTrue: [ ex pass ] ]]!

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-tonyg.1212.mcz

Tony Garnock-Jones-5
Thanks Levente -- I did try adding the password to the repo details.
I've just been trying to log in to source.squeak.org via a browser, and
that isn't working either, so I've emailed box-admins@ to see if someone
could take a look for me.

Regards,
  Tony

On 1/29/19 6:44 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> [...]
>>> + fulfillWith: aBlock passErrors: aBoolean
>>> +     "Evaluate aBlock. If it signals an exception, reject this
>>> promise with the exception
>>> +     as the argument; if it returns a value [or another Promise],
>>> resolve this promise
>>> +     with the result.
>>> + +     If aBoolean is true, and an exception is signaled, it is
>>> passed out to the caller.
>>> +     If aBoolean is false, signaled exceptions are considered
>>> handled after the promise
>>> +     has been rejected."
>>> +     [ self resolveWith: aBlock value ]
>>> +         on: Exception
>>> +         do: [ :ex |
>>> +             (ex isKindOf: Halt)
>>> +                 ifTrue: [ex pass]
>>> +                 ifFalse: [
>>> +                     self rejectWith: ex.
>>> +                     aBoolean ifTrue: [ ex pass ] ]]!

Chris Muller-3
Hi Tony,

> Thanks Levente -- I did try adding the password to the repo details.

A much better way is to use the 'mcSettings' file, so its available in
every image automatically, and slightly better security by not storing
your cleartext pw's in all your images.

    ExternalSettings preferenceDirectory  "print it"

Whatever directory that is, make a file called 'mcSettings' in this format:

    account1: *source.squeak.org/* [your mime64-encoded PW]

That's it.  All images are set up with your id/pw for trunk.
Additional accounts for other repositories may be added on subsequent
lines:

   account2: *squeaksource.com/* [your mime64-encoded PW]
   etc.
___
When you do commit it, please consider simply loading your method into
a new version that descends directly from Kernel-mt.1211 instead of
also merging the old 1153.

> I've just been trying to log in to source.squeak.org via a browser, and
> that isn't working either, so I've emailed box-admins@ to see if someone
> could take a look for me.

Hey Levente, do you know the best way to implement the typical
self-help automated way of resetting one's own PW for a Squeak server?

Best,
  Chris

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-tonyg.1212.mcz

Tony Garnock-Jones-5
Hi Chris,

On 1/29/19 9:20 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
>     ExternalSettings preferenceDirectory  "print it"
> Whatever directory that is, make a file called 'mcSettings' in this format:
>     account1: *source.squeak.org/* [your mime64-encoded PW]

Thanks for the tip! I'll do that.

> When you do commit it, please consider simply loading your method into
> a new version that descends directly from Kernel-mt.1211 instead of
> also merging the old 1153.

OK, I'll also do that. When I get access to my account again (I've
emailed box-admins; long story short, it doesn't accept my password and
it seems to have forgotten that the appropriate email address for
initials 'tonyg' is '[hidden email]', so I can't even reset
my password) I'll move the "inbox" revs I just uploaded to "treated
inbox" and do it again properly.

> Hey Levente, do you know the best way to implement the typical
> self-help automated way of resetting one's own PW for a Squeak server?

At the moment it presumably emails the associated account -- but for
some reason my email address has been forgotten by the server so it's
just stuck :-(

Tony

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019, Chris Muller wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
>> Thanks Levente -- I did try adding the password to the repo details.
>
> A much better way is to use the 'mcSettings' file, so its available in
> every image automatically, and slightly better security by not storing
> your cleartext pw's in all your images.
>
>    ExternalSettings preferenceDirectory  "print it"
>
> Whatever directory that is, make a file called 'mcSettings' in this format:
>
>    account1: *source.squeak.org/* [your mime64-encoded PW]
>
> That's it.  All images are set up with your id/pw for trunk.
> Additional accounts for other repositories may be added on subsequent
> lines:
>
>   account2: *squeaksource.com/* [your mime64-encoded PW]
>   etc.
> ___
> When you do commit it, please consider simply loading your method into
> a new version that descends directly from Kernel-mt.1211 instead of
> also merging the old 1153.
>
>> I've just been trying to log in to source.squeak.org via a browser, and
>> that isn't working either, so I've emailed box-admins@ to see if someone
>> could take a look for me.
>
> Hey Levente, do you know the best way to implement the typical
> self-help automated way of resetting one's own PW for a Squeak server?

Do you mean the "I forgot my password" link on the login form?

Tony's problem is that his account has no email associated with, because
it got lost somewhere (because of some bug in SS). So he can't receive an
email to reset his password.

Levente

> Best,
>  Chris

Re: The Inbox: Kernel-tonyg.1212.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Hi Tony,

> On 1/29/19 9:20 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
> >     ExternalSettings preferenceDirectory  "print it"
> > Whatever directory that is, make a file called 'mcSettings' in this format:
> >     account1: *source.squeak.org/* [your mime64-encoded PW]
>
> Thanks for the tip! I'll do that.

Slight adjustment.  The [your mime64-encoded PW] is actually the
string which is 'id:pw'.

   (Base64MimeConverter mimeEncode: 'user:password' readStream) contents

See comment at MCHttpRepository>>#userAndPasswordFromSettingsDo:.

> > When you do commit it, please consider simply loading your method into
> > a new version that descends directly from Kernel-mt.1211 instead of
> > also merging the old 1153.
>
> OK, I'll also do that. When I get access to my account again (I've
> emailed box-admins; long story short, it doesn't accept my password and
> it seems to have forgotten that the appropriate email address for
> initials 'tonyg' is '[hidden email]', so I can't even reset
> my password) I'll move the "inbox" revs I just uploaded to "treated
> inbox" and do it again properly.

Okay, I just updated your email to that.  The PW hash is invalid
though (nil).  As I prefer not to "set" your pw, let's see if you are
able to get it corrected via the web interface now, if not, I may have
to email you a temporary PW...

 - Chris

On 1/29/19 10:36 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
> Okay, I just updated your email to that.  The PW hash is invalid
> though (nil).  As I prefer not to "set" your pw, let's see if you are
> able to get it corrected via the web interface now, if not, I may have
> to email you a temporary PW...

Thank you! That seems to have worked.

Despite getting "There has been an internal error. The system
administrator has been notified." on the final step of the password
reset, I seem now able to log in to the web interface using my chosen
password.

Regards,
  Tony