The Inbox: Morphic-ct.1659.mcz

commits-2
Christoph Thiede uploaded a new version of Morphic to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Morphic-ct.1659.mcz

Name: Morphic-ct.1659
Author: ct
Time: 16 May 2020, 8:48:50.198708 pm
UUID: 49bbe6f6-5242-1b41-9823-d21b50d6b438
Ancestors: Morphic-nice.1658

Proposal: Have windows' menu box act on mouseDown rather than on mouseUp like the other boxes. This saves you another click and is more consistent to the usual menu flow in Squeak.

=============== Diff against Morphic-nice.1658 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: SystemWindow>>createMenuBox (in category 'initialization') -----
  createMenuBox
  ^ (self createBox: self class menuBoxImage)
  actionSelector: #offerWindowMenu;
+ setBalloonText: 'window menu' translated;
+ actWhen: #buttonDown;
+ yourself!
- setBalloonText: 'window menu' translated!

Re: The Inbox: Morphic-ct.1659.mcz

marcel.taeumel
Hi Christoph.

For the user, it is just a button. All buttons should behave in a similar fashion.

Best,
Marcel

Am 16.05.2020 20:49:10 schrieb [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:

Christoph Thiede uploaded a new version of Morphic to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Morphic-ct.1659.mcz

Name: Morphic-ct.1659

Re: The Inbox: Morphic-ct.1659.mcz

Christoph Thiede

Hi Marcel,

isn't this situation comparable to the items in the docking bar? The centered "changeset" button looks exactly the same as the menu items on the left. But the menu items react on mouseDown, whereas the changeset button reacts on mouseUp only.

I was rather thinking of this rule: All *leaf* buttons that actually raise an action should behave in the same fashion. However, the menu box is only a "branch" button, so it does not actually invoke an action. If we have it react only on mouseUp only, it costs the user an extra click to actually select an action from the menu.

Can you understand me? :-)

Best,

Carpe Squeak!

Re: The Inbox: Morphic-ct.1659.mcz

marcel.taeumel
isn't this situation comparable to the items in the docking bar?

Those look like a menu already. System window buttons do not.

Best,
Marcel

Am 17.05.2020 15:40:41 schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

Hi Marcel,

isn't this situation comparable to the items in the docking bar? The centered "changeset" button looks exactly the same as the menu items on the left. But the menu items react on mouseDown, whereas the changeset button reacts on mouseUp only.

I was rather thinking of this rule: All *leaf* buttons that actually raise an action should behave in the same fashion. However, the menu box is only a "branch" button, so it does not actually invoke an action. If we have it react only on mouseUp only, it costs the user an extra click to actually select an action from the menu.

Can you understand me? :-)

Best,

Christoph

Re: The Inbox: Morphic-ct.1659.mcz

Christoph Thiede
Hi Marcel,

> > isn't this situation comparable to the items in the docking bar?
>
> Those look like a menu already. System window buttons do not.

I think that this might be a somewhat subjective question. The changeset
name in the docking bar does not really look like a menu to me. :-)

To my humble self, this rule sounds pretty consistent: An action will only
be invoked as soon as you release the hand above a button. Nevertheless,
some items are displayed directly whereas others are organized within a menu
structure. In every case, I would like it to get rid of the redundant click
for choosing a menu item.

I have tested this feature for the last 10 months in my image and found it
very convenient. :-)

Best,
Christoph

-----