The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.44.mcz

commits-2
A new version of ShoutCore was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/ShoutCore-cmm.44.mcz

Name: ShoutCore-cmm.44
Author: cmm
Time: 3 April 2015, 5:49:33.369 pm
UUID: 333bfec3-3a83-4de7-ae92-1ab3592f67a6
Ancestors: ShoutCore-eem.43

Proposal for update of the default Shout colors.

- Bold black for Atomics (true, false, nil, self, super)
    Rationale:  Bedrock.  Plus, easy to tell if a method is a "utility method" at a glance.

- Regular black for Globals; the next level above the bedrock (where all coding starts from).

- Green for Messages, because messages make the system go and green means go.  (Exception:  binary messages are black for aesthetics and to visually isolate the expressions either side of it).

- Light gray for comments so they are unobtrusive to the code, yet still very present like the "help text" we're now seeing in the Search bar and ObjectExplorer.

- Red for Literals, because hard-coding things is "bad" and red means stop.  :)  But red actually makes it easy to spot literals in any method.

- Brick (brown) for Method and block arguments because they cannot be stored into and bricks are solid and hard.

- Aqua blue for temp vars because they're malleable like water; e.g., they CAN be stored into.

- Gold for inst vars.  Gold because they are the "resources" the object has available send messages to.

- Magenta for undefined's and bad syntax because such a thing should be bright and noticeable.  It's also ugly therefore the most appropriate color to represent problems.  :)

=============== Diff against ShoutCore-eem.43 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: SHTextStylerST80 class>>defaultStyleTable (in category 'style table') -----
  defaultStyleTable
  "color can be a valid argument to Color class>>colorFrom: , or nil to
  use the editor text color.
  Multiple emphases can be specified using an array e.g. #(bold italic).
  If emphasis is not specified, #normal will be used.
  if pixel height is not specified , then the editor font size will be used.
  "

  ^#(
  "(symbol color [emphasisSymbolOrArray [textStyleName [pixelHeight]]])"
  (default black )
+ (invalid (magenta twiceDarker) )
+ (excessCode (magenta twiceDarker) )
+ (comment (gray)   italic)
+ (unfinishedComment (gray) italic)
+ (#'$' (black) )
+ (character (red twiceDarker ) )
+ (integer (red twiceDarker ) )
+ (number (red twiceDarker ) )
+ (#- (black) )
+ (symbol (black ) )
+ (stringSymbol (black ) )
+ (literalArray (black ) )
+ (string (red twiceDarker) normal )
- (invalid red )
- (excessCode red )
- (comment (green muchDarker) italic)
- (unfinishedComment (red muchDarker) italic)
- (#'$' (red muchDarker) )
- (character (red muchDarker) )
- (integer (red muchDarker) )
- (number (red muchDarker) )
- (#- (red muchDarker) )
- (symbol (blue muchDarker) bold)
- (stringSymbol (blue muchDarker) bold)
- (literalArray (blue muchDarker) bold)
- (string (magenta muchDarker) normal)
  (unfinishedString red normal )
+ (assignment black bold )
+ (ansiAssignment black bold)
+ (literal (red twiceDarker) italic)
+ (keyword (green muchDarker) )
+ (binary (black ) (bold))
+ (unary (green muchDarker ) )
+ (incompleteKeyword (green darker) underlined)
+ (incompleteBinary (green darker) underlined)
+ (incompleteUnary (green darker) underlined)
+ (undefinedKeyword (magenta twiceDarker) )
+ (undefinedBinary (magenta twiceDarker) )
+ (undefinedUnary (magenta twiceDarker) )
+ (patternKeyword (green muchDarker) (underlined bold))
+ (patternBinary (green muchDarker) (bold))
+ (patternUnary (green muchDarker) (underlined bold))
+ (#self (black) bold)
+ (#super (black) bold)
+ (#true (black) bold)
+ (#false (black) bold)
+ (#nil (black) bold)
+ (#thisContext (black) bold)
+ (#return (black) bold)
+ (patternArg (orange muchDarker) )
+ (methodArg (orange muchDarker) )
+ (blockPatternArg (orange muchDarker) )
+ (blockArg (orange muchDarker) )
+ (argument (orange muchDarker) )
- (assignment nil bold )
- (ansiAssignment nil bold)
- (literal nil italic)
- (keyword (blue muchDarker) )
- (binary (blue muchDarker) )
- (unary (blue muchDarker) )
- (incompleteKeyword (gray muchDarker) underlined)
- (incompleteBinary (gray muchDarker) underlined)
- (incompleteUnary (gray muchDarker) underlined)
- (undefinedKeyword red )
- (undefinedBinary red )
- (undefinedUnary red )
- (patternKeyword nil bold)
- (patternBinary nil bold)
- (patternUnary nil bold)
- (#self (red muchDarker) bold)
- (#super (red muchDarker) bold)
- (#true (red muchDarker) bold)
- (#false (red muchDarker) bold)
- (#nil (red muchDarker) bold)
- (#thisContext (red muchDarker) bold)
- (#return (red muchDarker) bold)
- (patternArg (blue muchDarker) italic)
- (methodArg (blue muchDarker) italic)
- (blockPatternArg (blue muchDarker) italic)
- (blockArg (blue muchDarker) italic)
- (argument (blue muchDarker) italic)
  (blockArgColon black )
  (leftParenthesis black )
  (rightParenthesis black )
+ (leftParenthesis1 (black) )
+ (rightParenthesis1 (black) )
+ (leftParenthesis2 (gray twiceDarker) )
+ (rightParenthesis2 (gray twiceDarker) )
+ (leftParenthesis3 (blue twiceDarker) )
+ (rightParenthesis3 (blue twiceDarker) )
+ (leftParenthesis4 (green twiceDarker) )
+ (rightParenthesis4 (green twiceDarker) )
+ (leftParenthesis5 (orange twiceDarker) )
+ (rightParenthesis5 (orange twiceDarker) )
+ (leftParenthesis6 (red twiceDarker) )
+ (rightParenthesis6 (red twiceDarker) )
+ (leftParenthesis7 brown )
+ (rightParenthesis7 brown )
- (leftParenthesis1 (green muchDarker) )
- (rightParenthesis1 (green muchDarker) )
- (leftParenthesis2 (magenta muchDarker) )
- (rightParenthesis2 (magenta muchDarker) )
- (leftParenthesis3 (red muchDarker) )
- (rightParenthesis3 (red muchDarker) )
- (leftParenthesis4 (green darker) )
- (rightParenthesis4 (green darker) )
- (leftParenthesis5 (orange darker) )
- (rightParenthesis5 (orange darker) )
- (leftParenthesis6 (magenta darker) )
- (rightParenthesis6 (magenta darker) )
- (leftParenthesis7 blue )
- (rightParenthesis7 blue )
  (blockStart black )
  (blockEnd black )
+ (blockStart1 (black) )
+ (blockEnd1 (black) )
+ (blockStart2 (gray twiceDarker) )
+ (blockEnd2 (gray twiceDarker) )
+ (blockStart3 (blue twiceDarker) )
+ (blockEnd3 (blue twiceDarker) )
+ (blockStart4 (green twiceDarker) )
+ (blockEnd4 (green twiceDarker) )
+ (blockStart5 (orange twiceDarker) )
+ (blockEnd5 (orange twiceDarker) )
+ (blockStart6 (red twiceDarker) )
+ (blockEnd6 (red twiceDarker) )
+ (blockStart7 (brown) )
+ (blockEnd7 (brown) )
- (blockStart1 (green muchDarker) )
- (blockEnd1 (green muchDarker) )
- (blockStart2 (magenta muchDarker) )
- (blockEnd2 (magenta muchDarker) )
- (blockStart3 (red muchDarker) )
- (blockEnd3 (red muchDarker) )
- (blockStart4 (green darker) )
- (blockEnd4 (green darker) )
- (blockStart5 (orange darker) )
- (blockEnd5 (orange darker) )
- (blockStart6 (magenta darker) )
- (blockEnd6 (magenta darker) )
- (blockStart7 blue )
- (blockEnd7 blue )
  (arrayStart black )
  (arrayEnd black )
  (arrayStart1 black )
  (arrayEnd1 black )
+ (byteArrayStart black )
+ (byteArrayEnd black )
+ (byteArrayStart1 black )
+ (byteArrayEnd1 black )
- (byteArrayStart black )
- (byteArrayEnd black )
- (byteArrayStart1 black )
- (byteArrayEnd1 black )
  (leftBrace black )
  (rightBrace black )
  (cascadeSeparator black )
  (statementSeparator black )
  (externalCallType black )
  (externalCallTypePointerIndicator black )
+ (primitiveOrExternalCallStart black )
+ (primitiveOrExternalCallEnd black )
+ (methodTempBar black )
+ (blockTempBar black )
+ (blockArgsBar black )
- (primitiveOrExternalCallStart black bold )
- (primitiveOrExternalCallEnd black bold )
- (methodTempBar gray )
- (blockTempBar gray )
- (blockArgsBar gray )
  (primitive (green muchDarker) bold)
- (pragmaKeyword (green muchDarker) bold)
- (pragmaUnary (green muchDarker) bold)
- (pragmaBinary (green muchDarker) bold)
  (externalFunctionCallingConvention (green muchDarker) bold)
  (module (green muchDarker) bold)
+ (blockTempVar (cyan muchDarker ) italic)
+ (blockPatternTempVar (cyan muchDarker ) italic)
+ (instVar (yellow twiceDarker darker) bold)
- (blockTempVar gray italic)
- (blockPatternTempVar gray italic)
- (instVar black bold)
  (workspaceVar black bold)
+ (undefinedIdentifier (magenta twiceDarker) normal)
+ (incompleteIdentifier (gray darker) (italic underlined))
+ (tempVar (cyan muchDarker) italic)
+ (patternTempVar (cyan muchDarker) italic)
+ (poolConstant (blue lighter) italic)
+ (classVar (blue twiceLighter) italic)
+ (globalVar black normal) )
+ !
- (undefinedIdentifier red bold)
- (incompleteIdentifier (gray darker) (italic underlined))
- (tempVar (gray darker) italic)
- (patternTempVar (gray darker) italic)
- (poolConstant (gray darker) italic)
- (classVar (gray darker) bold)
- (globalVar black bold) )
- !

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.44.mcz

marcel.taeumel (old)
We could add it to preferences (maybe similar to window color specs) and make if configurable and not hidden at the code level.

Best,
Marcel

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.44.mcz

Chris Muller-3
That would be nice but still independent of the default presentation
we want for the release.  We've had these same colors for years this
is a great release to update them.

IMHO the most important thing is to *get the purple out* and replace
it with more primary color(s).

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 2:40 AM, Marcel Taeumel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We could add it to preferences (maybe similar to window color specs) and make
> if configurable and not hidden at the code level.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.44.mcz

Tobias Pape

On 04.04.2015, at 19:52, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That would be nice but still independent of the default presentation
> we want for the release.  We've had these same colors for years this
> is a great release to update them.
>
> IMHO the most important thing is to *get the purple out* and replace
> it with more primary color(s).

Why?

> On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 2:40 AM, Marcel Taeumel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We could add it to preferences (maybe similar to window color specs) and make
>> if configurable and not hidden at the code level.
>>
>> Best,
>> Marcel

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.44.mcz

Levente Uzonyi-2
Your explanation sounds great, but I don't like the result. I find most
colors to be bright and intense. IMHO they don't fit well together, and
some of them blend into the white background.

Starting with Squeak 4.1 all releases were shipped with the subdued style
table as default, which intentionally avoids bright colors, and strong
emphasis.

Instead of replacing the default table - which is not really default
anymore - you should add your own table (and make a preference to let
users choose between them, but this is not as easy as it sounds).

Levente

On Fri, 3 Apr 2015, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>   (workspaceVar black bold)
> + (undefinedIdentifier (magenta twiceDarker) normal)
> + (incompleteIdentifier (gray darker) (italic underlined))
> + (tempVar (cyan muchDarker) italic)
> + (patternTempVar (cyan muchDarker) italic)
> + (poolConstant (blue lighter) italic)
> + (classVar (blue twiceLighter) italic)
> + (globalVar black normal) )
> + !
> - (undefinedIdentifier red bold)
> - (incompleteIdentifier (gray darker) (italic underlined))
> - (tempVar (gray darker) italic)
> - (patternTempVar (gray darker) italic)
> - (poolConstant (gray darker) italic)
> - (classVar (gray darker) bold)
> - (globalVar black bold) )
> - !

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.44.mcz

Chris Muller-3
> Your explanation sounds great, but I don't like the result. I find most

All except inst-vars have a luminance below 0.5.  How about a darker
and/or less-saturated set of colors?

> IMHO they don't fit well together, and some

I'd be open to just about any set of default colors besides the ones
we have now.

> of them blend into the white background.

It's the inst-vars isn't it?  Okay, I agree.  How about something darker?

Comments are intentionally at luminance 0.5.

> Starting with Squeak 4.1 all releases were shipped with the subdued style
> table as default, which intentionally avoids bright colors, and strong
> emphasis.

How about a set of dull, earthy, colors?  I actually think the subdued
style table does not seem subdued due to the purple..

> Instead of replacing the default table - which is not really default anymore
> - you should add your own table (and make a preference to let users choose
> between them, but this is not as easy as it sounds).

At this time I just advocate 4.6 to having a new default look somewhat
set apart from 4.5 and 4.4.  Not only the background but some of the
great work Marcel did and, hopefully some better code colors.

If someone would like to submit their favorite palette, I'd vote for
anything (within reason, of course) which helps us evict the purple
from what have now with something more neutral or earthy..

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.44.mcz

marcel.taeumel (old)
Please do not overwrite an existing color template for styling. Add a new one and we can discuss about using this as new default. :) You may re-name the "current default" to a more appropriate name. :D

Best,
Marcel

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.44.mcz

marcel.taeumel (old)
Here is my wish for an additional color template for styling:
ViTextStyler_class-defaultStyleTable.st

We do not have to use it as default but we could include it in the release. :)

Best,
Marcel

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.44.mcz

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please do not overwrite an existing color template for styling. Add a new one
and we can discuss about using this as new default. :) You may re-name the
"current default" to a more appropriate name. :D

+1

Best,
Marcel

best,