The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.45.mcz

commits-2
A new version of ShoutCore was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/ShoutCore-cmm.45.mcz

Name: ShoutCore-cmm.45
Author: cmm
Time: 6 April 2015, 5:52:19.582 pm
UUID: 7f2c4864-c8d9-4f51-8553-23db02266ad0
Ancestors: ShoutCore-cmm.44

- Added subdued version of Shout colors proposed in cmm.44.
- #defaultStyleTable is misnamed because it was was not the default.  Renamed it to #brightStyleTable.
- Simplify help text for #subduedSyntaxHighlights.

=============== Diff against ShoutCore-cmm.44 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SHTextStylerST80 class>>brightStyleTable (in category 'style table') -----
+ brightStyleTable
+ "color can be a valid argument to Color class>>colorFrom: , or nil to
+ use the editor text color.
+ Multiple emphases can be specified using an array e.g. #(bold italic).
+ If emphasis is not specified, #normal will be used.
+ if pixel height is not specified , then the editor font size will be used.
+ "
+
+ ^#(
+ "(symbol color [emphasisSymbolOrArray [textStyleName [pixelHeight]]])"
+ (default black )
+ (invalid (magenta twiceDarker) )
+ (excessCode (magenta twiceDarker) )
+ (comment (gray)   italic)
+ (unfinishedComment (gray) italic)
+ (#'$' (black) )
+ (character (red twiceDarker ) )
+ (integer (red twiceDarker ) )
+ (number (red twiceDarker ) )
+ (#- (black) )
+ (symbol (black ) )
+ (stringSymbol (black ) )
+ (literalArray (black ) )
+ (string (red twiceDarker) normal )
+ (unfinishedString red normal )
+ (assignment black bold )
+ (ansiAssignment black bold)
+ (literal (red twiceDarker) italic)
+ (keyword (green muchDarker) )
+ (binary (black ) (bold))
+ (unary (green muchDarker ) )
+ (incompleteKeyword (green darker) underlined)
+ (incompleteBinary (green darker) underlined)
+ (incompleteUnary (green darker) underlined)
+ (undefinedKeyword (magenta twiceDarker) )
+ (undefinedBinary (magenta twiceDarker) )
+ (undefinedUnary (magenta twiceDarker) )
+ (patternKeyword (green muchDarker) (underlined bold))
+ (patternBinary (green muchDarker) (bold))
+ (patternUnary (green muchDarker) (underlined bold))
+ (#self (black) bold)
+ (#super (black) bold)
+ (#true (black) bold)
+ (#false (black) bold)
+ (#nil (black) bold)
+ (#thisContext (black) bold)
+ (#return (black) bold)
+ (patternArg (orange muchDarker) )
+ (methodArg (orange muchDarker) )
+ (blockPatternArg (orange muchDarker) )
+ (blockArg (orange muchDarker) )
+ (argument (orange muchDarker) )
+ (blockArgColon black )
+ (leftParenthesis black )
+ (rightParenthesis black )
+ (leftParenthesis1 (black) )
+ (rightParenthesis1 (black) )
+ (leftParenthesis2 (gray twiceDarker) )
+ (rightParenthesis2 (gray twiceDarker) )
+ (leftParenthesis3 (blue twiceDarker) )
+ (rightParenthesis3 (blue twiceDarker) )
+ (leftParenthesis4 (green twiceDarker) )
+ (rightParenthesis4 (green twiceDarker) )
+ (leftParenthesis5 (orange twiceDarker) )
+ (rightParenthesis5 (orange twiceDarker) )
+ (leftParenthesis6 (red twiceDarker) )
+ (rightParenthesis6 (red twiceDarker) )
+ (leftParenthesis7 brown )
+ (rightParenthesis7 brown )
+ (blockStart black )
+ (blockEnd black )
+ (blockStart1 (black) )
+ (blockEnd1 (black) )
+ (blockStart2 (gray twiceDarker) )
+ (blockEnd2 (gray twiceDarker) )
+ (blockStart3 (blue twiceDarker) )
+ (blockEnd3 (blue twiceDarker) )
+ (blockStart4 (green twiceDarker) )
+ (blockEnd4 (green twiceDarker) )
+ (blockStart5 (orange twiceDarker) )
+ (blockEnd5 (orange twiceDarker) )
+ (blockStart6 (red twiceDarker) )
+ (blockEnd6 (red twiceDarker) )
+ (blockStart7 (brown) )
+ (blockEnd7 (brown) )
+ (arrayStart black )
+ (arrayEnd black )
+ (arrayStart1 black )
+ (arrayEnd1 black )
+ (byteArrayStart black )
+ (byteArrayEnd black )
+ (byteArrayStart1 black )
+ (byteArrayEnd1 black )
+ (leftBrace black )
+ (rightBrace black )
+ (cascadeSeparator black )
+ (statementSeparator black )
+ (externalCallType black )
+ (externalCallTypePointerIndicator black )
+ (primitiveOrExternalCallStart black )
+ (primitiveOrExternalCallEnd black )
+ (methodTempBar black )
+ (blockTempBar black )
+ (blockArgsBar black )
+ (primitive (green muchDarker) bold)
+ (externalFunctionCallingConvention (green muchDarker) bold)
+ (module (green muchDarker) bold)
+ (blockTempVar (cyan muchDarker ) italic)
+ (blockPatternTempVar (cyan muchDarker ) italic)
+ (instVar (yellow twiceDarker darker) bold)
+ (workspaceVar black bold)
+ (undefinedIdentifier (magenta twiceDarker) normal)
+ (incompleteIdentifier (gray darker) (italic underlined))
+ (tempVar (cyan muchDarker) italic)
+ (patternTempVar (cyan muchDarker) italic)
+ (poolConstant (blue lighter) italic)
+ (classVar (blue twiceLighter) italic)
+ (globalVar black normal) )
+ !

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: SHTextStylerST80 class>>chooseDefaultStyleTable (in category 'style table') -----
  chooseDefaultStyleTable
  "Choose the default style table"
  ^self subduedSyntaxHighlights
  ifTrue:[self subduedStyleTable]
+ ifFalse:[self brightStyleTable]!
- ifFalse:[self defaultStyleTable]!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: SHTextStylerST80 class>>subduedStyleTable (in category 'style table') -----
  subduedStyleTable
  "color can be a valid argument to Color class>>colorFrom: , or nil to
  use the editor text color.
  Multiple emphases can be specified using an array e.g. #(bold italic).
  If emphasis is not specified, #normal will be used.
  if pixel height is not specified , then the editor font size will be used.
  "

  ^#(
  "(symbol color [emphasisSymbolOrArray [textStyleName [pixelHeight]]])"
  (default black )
+ (invalid (magenta duller duller muchDarker) )
+ (excessCode (magenta duller duller muchDarker) )
+ (comment (darkGray)   italic)
+ (unfinishedComment (darkGray) italic)
+ (#'$' (black) )
+ (character (red duller duller duller twiceDarker ) )
+ (integer (red duller duller duller twiceDarker ) )
+ (number (red duller duller duller twiceDarker ) )
+ (#- (black) )
+ (symbol (black ) )
+ (stringSymbol (black ) )
+ (literalArray (black ) )
+ (string (red duller duller duller twiceDarker) normal )
+ (unfinishedString (red duller duller duller twiceDarker) normal )
+ (assignment black bold )
+ (ansiAssignment black bold)
+ (literal (red duller duller duller twiceDarker) italic)
+ (keyword (green duller duller muchDarker) normal)
+ (binary (black ) (bold))
+ (unary (green duller duller muchDarker ) )
+ (incompleteKeyword (green duller duller darker) underlined)
+ (incompleteBinary (green duller duller darker) underlined)
+ (incompleteUnary (green duller duller darker) underlined)
+ (undefinedKeyword (magenta duller duller twiceDarker) )
+ (undefinedBinary (magenta duller duller twiceDarker) )
+ (undefinedUnary (magenta duller duller twiceDarker) )
+ (patternKeyword (green duller duller muchDarker) (underlined bold))
+ (patternBinary (green duller duller muchDarker) (bold))
+ (patternUnary (green duller duller muchDarker) (underlined bold))
+ (#self (black) normal)
+ (#super (black) normal)
+ (#true (black) normal)
+ (#false (black) normal)
+ (#nil (black) normal)
+ (#thisContext (black) normal)
+ (#return (black) bold)
+ (patternArg (orange duller duller duller muchDarker) )
+ (methodArg (orange duller duller duller muchDarker) )
+ (blockPatternArg (orange duller duller duller muchDarker) )
+ (blockArg (orange duller duller duller muchDarker) )
+ (argument (orange duller duller duller muchDarker) )
- (invalid red )
- (excessCode red )
- (comment (cyan muchDarker) )
- (unfinishedComment (red muchDarker) italic)
- (#'$' (red muchDarker) )
- (character (red muchDarker) )
- (integer (red muchDarker) )
- (number (red muchDarker) )
- (#- (red muchDarker) )
- (symbol (blue muchDarker) )
- (stringSymbol (blue muchDarker) )
- (literalArray (blue muchDarker) )
- (string (magenta muchDarker) normal )
- (unfinishedString red normal )
- (assignment nil bold )
- (ansiAssignment nil bold)
- (literal nil italic)
- (keyword (blue muchDarker) )
- (binary (blue muchDarker) )
- (unary (blue muchDarker) )
- (incompleteKeyword (gray muchDarker) underlined)
- (incompleteBinary (gray muchDarker) underlined)
- (incompleteUnary (gray muchDarker) underlined)
- (undefinedKeyword red )
- (undefinedBinary red )
- (undefinedUnary red )
- (patternKeyword nil bold)
- (patternBinary nil bold)
- (patternUnary nil bold)
- (#self (red muchDarker) )
- (#super (red muchDarker) )
- (#true (red muchDarker) )
- (#false (red muchDarker) )
- (#nil (red muchDarker) )
- (#thisContext (red muchDarker) )
- (#return (red muchDarker) )
- (patternArg (blue muchDarker) )
- (methodArg (blue muchDarker) )
- (blockPatternArg (blue muchDarker) )
- (blockArg (blue muchDarker) )
- (argument (blue muchDarker) )
  (blockArgColon black )
+ (leftParenthesis black )
- (leftParenthesis black )
  (rightParenthesis black )
+ (leftParenthesis1 (black) )
+ (rightParenthesis1 (black) )
+ (leftParenthesis2 (black) )
+ (rightParenthesis2 (black) )
+ (leftParenthesis3 (black) )
+ (rightParenthesis3 (black) )
+ (leftParenthesis4 (black) )
+ (rightParenthesis4 (black) )
+ (leftParenthesis5 (black) )
+ (rightParenthesis5 (black) )
+ (leftParenthesis6 (black) )
+ (rightParenthesis6 (black) )
+ (leftParenthesis7 brown )
+ (rightParenthesis7 brown )
- (leftParenthesis1 (green muchDarker) )
- (rightParenthesis1 (green muchDarker) )
- (leftParenthesis2 (magenta muchDarker) )
- (rightParenthesis2 (magenta muchDarker) )
- (leftParenthesis3 (red muchDarker) )
- (rightParenthesis3 (red muchDarker) )
- (leftParenthesis4 (green darker) )
- (rightParenthesis4 (green darker) )
- (leftParenthesis5 (orange darker) )
- (rightParenthesis5 (orange darker) )
- (leftParenthesis6 (magenta darker) )
- (rightParenthesis6 (magenta darker) )
- (leftParenthesis7 blue )
- (rightParenthesis7 blue )
  (blockStart black )
  (blockEnd black )
+ (blockStart1 (black) )
+ (blockEnd1 (black) )
+ (blockStart2 (black) )
+ (blockEnd2 (black) )
+ (blockStart3 (black) )
+ (blockEnd3 (black) )
+ (blockStart4 (black) )
+ (blockEnd4 (black) )
+ (blockStart5 (black) )
+ (blockEnd5 (black) )
+ (blockStart6 (black) )
+ (blockEnd6 (black) )
+ (blockStart7 (black) )
+ (blockEnd7 (black) )
- (blockStart1 (green muchDarker) )
- (blockEnd1 (green muchDarker) )
- (blockStart2 (magenta muchDarker) )
- (blockEnd2 (magenta muchDarker) )
- (blockStart3 (red muchDarker) )
- (blockEnd3 (red muchDarker) )
- (blockStart4 (green darker) )
- (blockEnd4 (green darker) )
- (blockStart5 (orange darker) )
- (blockEnd5 (orange darker) )
- (blockStart6 (magenta darker) )
- (blockEnd6 (magenta darker) )
- (blockStart7 blue )
- (blockEnd7 blue )
  (arrayStart black )
  (arrayEnd black )
  (arrayStart1 black )
  (arrayEnd1 black )
+ (byteArrayStart black )
+ (byteArrayEnd black )
+ (byteArrayStart1 black )
+ (byteArrayEnd1 black )
- (byteArrayStart black )
- (byteArrayEnd black )
- (byteArrayStart1 black )
- (byteArrayEnd1 black )
  (leftBrace black )
  (rightBrace black )
+ (cascadeSeparator black )
+ (statementSeparator black )
- (cascadeSeparator black )
- (statementSeparator black )
  (externalCallType black )
  (externalCallTypePointerIndicator black )
  (primitiveOrExternalCallStart black )
  (primitiveOrExternalCallEnd black )
+ (methodTempBar black )
+ (blockTempBar black )
+ (blockArgsBar black )
+ (primitive (green duller duller muchDarker) bold)
+ (externalFunctionCallingConvention (green duller duller muchDarker) bold)
+ (module (green duller duller muchDarker) bold)
+ (blockTempVar (cyan duller duller duller muchDarker ) italic)
+ (blockPatternTempVar (cyan duller duller duller muchDarker ) italic)
+ (instVar (blue duller duller duller darker) normal)
+ (workspaceVar black bold)
+ (undefinedIdentifier (magenta duller duller twiceDarker) normal)
- (methodTempBar gray )
- (blockTempBar gray )
- (blockArgsBar gray )
- (primitive (green muchDarker) bold)
- (pragmaKeyword (green muchDarker) bold)
- (pragmaUnary (green muchDarker) bold)
- (pragmaBinary (green muchDarker) bold)
- (externalFunctionCallingConvention (green muchDarker) bold)
- (module (green muchDarker) bold)
- (blockTempVar gray )
- (blockPatternTempVar gray )
- (instVar black )
- (workspaceVar black )
- (undefinedIdentifier red )
  (incompleteIdentifier (gray darker) (italic underlined))
+ (tempVar (cyan duller duller duller muchDarker) italic)
+ (patternTempVar (cyan duller duller duller muchDarker) italic)
+ (poolConstant (blue lighter) italic)
+ (classVar (blue duller duller duller darker) italic)
+ (globalVar black normal) )
+ !
- (tempVar (gray darker) )
- (patternTempVar (gray darker) )
- (poolConstant (gray muchDarker) )
- (classVar (gray muchDarker) )
- (globalVar black ) )!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: SHTextStylerST80 class>>subduedSyntaxHighlights (in category 'preferences') -----
  subduedSyntaxHighlights
  <preference: 'Subdued Syntax Highlighting'
  category: 'browsing'
- description: 'When enabled, use a more subdued syntax highlighting approach that is not as aggressive in the face newbies. Intended to introduce people gracefully to the shiny colorful world of Squeak syntax'
  type: #Boolean>
+ ^SubduedSyntaxHighlights ifNil: [ true ]!
- ^SubduedSyntaxHighlights ifNil:[true]!

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.45.mcz

Tobias Pape

On 06.04.2015, at 22:52, [hidden email] wrote:

> A new version of ShoutCore was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/ShoutCore-cmm.45.mcz

> Name: ShoutCore-cmm.45
> Author: cmm
> Time: 6 April 2015, 5:52:19.582 pm
> UUID: 7f2c4864-c8d9-4f51-8553-23db02266ad0
> Ancestors: ShoutCore-cmm.44
>
> - Added subdued version of Shout colors proposed in cmm.44.
> - #defaultStyleTable is misnamed because it was was not the default.  Renamed it to #brightStyleTable.
> - Simplify help text for #subduedSyntaxHighlights.

Did you integrate you changes into the subdued style now?
Please leave the subdued style.
        Maybe we should allow for several styles?

Personally, I don't like the color choice yo are proposing, too much green,
too hard to figure out at a glance the proportions of the following concepts:

"direct access" (instvars, classes, formerly black) vs
"messages" (formerly blueish),
"self/supers" (formerly reddish)

The proportions of the three rather distinct colors gave me a subconscious hint,
whether the method was idiomatic or not…

Also, please be very careful with underlining. The once only bolded message name
is now bold AND green AND underlined. Thats a tad too much attention. Moreover,
UML uses underlining for 'static methods' aka class methods. this could be confusing.

Don't get me wrong, I _like_ a variety of syntax highlighting styles, we
should support that better. I, however, don't think it is a good idea to
override a relatively accustomed style just because "it's time for a change".

:)

Best
        -Tobias

> =============== Diff against ShoutCore-cmm.44 ===============
>
> Item was added:

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.45.mcz

Levente Uzonyi-2
+1

Also, my intention was to suggest to add new, separate style tables, not
to overwrite the existing (widely used) ones.
I've already expressed that I don't like these colors, but I'm sure some
people do. That's why there should be a preference (with a chooser like
the haloTheme preference) to choose a style table.

Levente

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015, Tobias Pape wrote:

> On 06.04.2015, at 22:52, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> A new version of ShoutCore was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/ShoutCore-cmm.45.mcz

>> Name: ShoutCore-cmm.45
>> Author: cmm
>> Time: 6 April 2015, 5:52:19.582 pm
>> UUID: 7f2c4864-c8d9-4f51-8553-23db02266ad0
>> Ancestors: ShoutCore-cmm.44
>>
>> - Added subdued version of Shout colors proposed in cmm.44.
>> - #defaultStyleTable is misnamed because it was was not the default.  Renamed it to #brightStyleTable.
>> - Simplify help text for #subduedSyntaxHighlights.
>>

> Did you integrate you changes into the subdued style now?
> Please leave the subdued style.
> Maybe we should allow for several styles?
>

> Personally, I don't like the color choice yo are proposing, too much green,
> too hard to figure out at a glance the proportions of the following concepts:
>
> "direct access" (instvars, classes, formerly black) vs
> "messages" (formerly blueish),
> "self/supers" (formerly reddish)
>
> The proportions of the three rather distinct colors gave me a subconscious hint,
> whether the method was idiomatic or not…
>
> Also, please be very careful with underlining. The once only bolded message name
> is now bold AND green AND underlined. Thats a tad too much attention. Moreover,
> UML uses underlining for 'static methods' aka class methods. this could be confusing.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I _like_ a variety of syntax highlighting styles, we
> should support that better. I, however, don't think it is a good idea to
> override a relatively accustomed style just because "it's time for a change".
>
> :)
>
> Best
> -Tobias
>

>> =============== Diff against ShoutCore-cmm.44 ===============
>>
>> Item was added:

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.45.mcz

marcel.taeumel (old)
+1

Yes, only add color styles for Shout, do not remove them.

Best,
Marcel

Re: The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.45.mcz

Chris Muller-3
>> A new version of ShoutCore was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/ShoutCore-cmm.45.mcz

>> Name: ShoutCore-cmm.45
>> Author: cmm
>> Time: 6 April 2015, 5:52:19.582 pm
>> UUID: 7f2c4864-c8d9-4f51-8553-23db02266ad0
>> Ancestors: ShoutCore-cmm.44
>>
>> - Added subdued version of Shout colors proposed in cmm.44.
>> - #defaultStyleTable is misnamed because it was was not the default.  Renamed it to #brightStyleTable.
>> - Simplify help text for #subduedSyntaxHighlights.
>>

> Did you integrate you changes into the subdued style now?
> Please leave the subdued style.
>         Maybe we should allow for several styles?
>

> Personally, I don't like the color choice yo are proposing, too much green,

Well it's actually "green duller duller muchDarker" and its ONLY for
unary and keyword messages.

By contrast, the existing subdued table uses a 100%-saturation blue
for not only messages, but also symbols (which should be black),
literal-arrays (which should not be the same color as code!), AND
method and block arguments.  So it has a lot more blue than the new
one has green.  Why so much blue?

> too hard to figure out at a glance the proportions of the following concepts:
>
> "direct access" (instvars, classes, formerly black) vs
> "messages" (formerly blueish),
> "self/supers" (formerly reddish)

In fact, "at a glance" is one of the primary motivations for the new
palette, and why I personally use bold black for self and super.  But
I turned off the emphasis in this subdued for Levente (maybe a
different color then?).

Messages are visible at-a-glance because they're the only thing that's green.

Finally, I like to see inst-vars access at a glance too.  In the
existing table, you cannot distinguish between *local* access and
*global* access at a glance, because it paints inst-vars and classes
the same color.  And method-args the same color as Symbols.

> The proportions of the three rather distinct colors gave me a subconscious hint,
> whether the method was idiomatic or not…

I know what you mean, but I think the existing table is much less
effective at it.  Plus, it's hideous.

> Also, please be very careful with underlining. The once only bolded message name
> is now bold AND green AND underlined. Thats a tad too much attention. Moreover,
> UML uses underlining for 'static methods' aka class methods. this could be confusing.

Sure, no problem.  As I said, I turned off some of the emphasis to try
to win Levente's support.  I don't want my own personal colors, just
anything other than what we currently have for the default.

> Don't get me wrong, I _like_ a variety of syntax highlighting styles, we
> should support that better. I, however, don't think it is a good idea to
> override a relatively accustomed style just because "it's time for a change".

That's not the only reason, the existing tables have a lot of problems, IMO.