The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

12

Re: The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Tobias Pape

> On 04.04.2019, at 21:54, Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am Do., 4. Apr. 2019 um 16:51 Uhr schrieb Tim Johnson <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Apr 2, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Jakob Reschke wrote:
>
> > Installing the current incarnation of the refactoring tools might
> > be another good candidate for an image initialization shortlist. I
> > mostly live without them just because the buttons to install them
> > are too many clicks away...
>
> Where are they?
>
> That's part of the guessing game, isn't it? ;-) tl;dr: the "Refactoring Tools" are on the SqueakMap for Squeak 5.2

or

Installer ensureRecentMetacello.
Metacello new
        configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
        load.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

> The Squeak Wiki tells you all kinds of things like installing Refactoring Browser from SqueakMap, the third Google hit is actually a diff view of a Wiki page, then there is a note that the OmniBrowser is not supported anymore... alright, don't want to know that. But hey, at least it mentions SqueakMap. (But still you need to know that for the latest Squeak, you need the "Tools", not the "Browser". I'll put the words "Refactoring Tools" on the pages I came across.)
>
> So there we go:
> 1) open SqueakMap Catalog from Apps menu
> 2) no packages there (Trunk image), have to right-click the package list and disable "New safely-available packages"
> 3) enter "refactoring" in the Search package box, hit return. Takes me to AwesomAtom first. Hmm. Unfortunately Refactoring Tools starts with an R, so I won't get there with repeated return hitting any time soon
> 3½) since I happen to already know the name, scroll down to Refactoring Tools manually
> 4) right-click, Install. "The package has no published release for your Squeak version [...]". Yes. Another warning prompt, yes.
> Done!
>
> 9 clicks or scroll actions if you know where to look (without step 3). Does not sound too bad actually, but still if you grab a new image every now and then and repeat it for multiple packages...
> Would have been 2 clicks from the Do menu, or maybe two-and-a-half if the Apps or Tools menu had a submenu to install often-used or recommended packages.
>
> By the way, why are the refactoring tools not in Trunk? Other IDEs that call themselves like that come with their refactoring tools preinstalled.

Re: The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Tim Johnson-2

On 2019-04-04 12:54, Jakob Reschke wrote:

By the way, why are the refactoring tools not in Trunk? Other IDEs that call themselves like that come with their refactoring tools preinstalled.

As a goal of Squeak is to be accessible to newcomers, I'm fine with the refactoring tools not being the default, even if they are present.  I like the default Browsers and Package Pane Browser but would also like to occasionally switch to RB to learn it and experiment.  This is what makes that blue drop-down menu button in the upper-right of a browser window useful to me:  "Choose new default browser" and "register this browser as default."  I like that!

Thanks,
Tim J

Re: The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Jakob Reschke
Am Do., 4. Apr. 2019 um 21:54 Uhr schrieb Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]>:
Am Do., 4. Apr. 2019 um 16:51 Uhr schrieb Tim Johnson <[hidden email]>:

On Apr 2, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Jakob Reschke wrote:

> Installing the current incarnation of the refactoring tools might
> be another good candidate for an image initialization shortlist. I
> mostly live without them just because the buttons to install them
> are too many clicks away...

Where are they?

That's part of the guessing game, isn't it? ;-) tl;dr: the "Refactoring Tools" are on the SqueakMap for Squeak 5.2
[...]
So there we go:
1) open SqueakMap Catalog from Apps menu
2) no packages there (Trunk image), have to right-click the package list and disable "New safely-available packages"
3) enter "refactoring" in the Search package box, hit return. Takes me to AwesomAtom first. Hmm. Unfortunately Refactoring Tools starts with an R, so I won't get there with repeated return hitting any time soon
3½) since I happen to already know the name, scroll down to Refactoring Tools manually
4) right-click, Install. "The package has no published release for your Squeak version [...]". Yes. Another warning prompt, yes.

Problems for a newcomer:
1) What is SqueakMap? Or how would I even know I need to look at it, it is not mentioned in the Welcome to Squeak text.
2&4) Newcomers should definitely stick to release images :-) and hope that the packages have versions for the latest one.
3) The search mode seems unintuitive (although I guess I understand why it does what it does)

I hope that the experience is improved and simplified with the changes Chris has coming.

I used to install Metacello via SqueakMap before the item in the Do menu appeared, so my annoyances were 2), 3), 4). Looking up the install snippet on GitHub is not faster. Typing Installer ensureRecentMetacello is faster, but then I have to remember that. I didn't know about the "Extending the system" page until two days ago.

Still I'd rather like to keep the Metacello item in the Do menu. Or Apps or Tools. Doesn't matter to me whether it is at the top, in the middle or at the bottom. After clicking that, I can continue to copy the install script from the GitHub project's README that I had right in front of me when I decided that I need to grab a new trunk image.

The community might decide to drop the Git infrastructure item (remember Chris: I did not put it there, the fans of it did), but I think easing the access to GitHub projects is important in the present and the future.

Kind regards,
Jakob

Am Do., 4. Apr. 2019 um 22:22 Uhr schrieb Tim Johnson <[hidden email]>:

As a goal of Squeak is to be accessible to newcomers, I'm fine with the refactoring tools not being the default, even if they are present.  I like the default Browsers and Package Pane Browser but would also like to occasionally switch to RB to learn it and experiment.

The nice thing about it is that the refactoring tools are not in a separate browser anymore. :-) You can use them from the default browser. But some operations are broken or awkward, which is a pity, and ironically an argument both against and for including them in trunk.

Well, if a recent version of Metacello were in trunk, I would not object dropping the Do menu item for it either. ;-)

Re: The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Squeak - Dev mailing list
I don’t know about anyone else but refactoring tools should be a requirement.

/*—————————————————-*/

Re: The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Hi Jakob,

I agree with the UI problems you mention about the in-image SqueakMap
client window, but those are just ToolBuilder configuration
superficialities I or someone will eventually fix.  In the meantime, I
adamantly want to reduce the number of places in the IDE where we tell
people to load things from.  For now I've moved them to the Tools
menu, as you suggested.

I also recognize a perception on your part of Squeak and its community
being like the group identified on the home-page of github.com:

    "Built for developers"

so hope you won't mind me reminding that the audience for Squeak goes
beyond that group.  Squeak should continue to cater to Users, because
they're not as tough as Developers.  As a developer, you can
appreciate a modular system capable of loading IDE plug-ins.

> These projects place a Metacello load script in their README files.

I wasn't trying to change you if you have a special use-case or
preference for doing configuration that way.

> Yeah, projects that use Pharo or GemStone as their primary platform will be delighted to hear that they have to maintain a SqueakMap entry to give squeakers a chance to try their stuff. Not!

Of course it's not mandatory, but I think you're kidding yourself if
you think Users (and even Developers) in 2019 will be delighted to
know they have to do a lot of research and work (hint:  a lot more
than 9 clicks) just to figure out how to try out your project.  That's
what SqueakMap was designed to solve:  fixed configurations that
present the project, and work forever on a particular version.  It's
targeted to helping _others besides you_ configure their system so
they can evaluate your project's latest working version to decide if
they want to invest the time in setting up a dev configuration.  But
often others will capture load scripts and document them on SqueakMap
for themselves, you don't have to do it if you don't want.

 - Chris

 - Chris

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 3:22 PM Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Do., 4. Apr. 2019 um 21:54 Uhr schrieb Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]>:

>>> Where are they?
>>

>> That's part of the guessing game, isn't it? ;-) tl;dr: the "Refactoring Tools" are on the SqueakMap for Squeak 5.2
>> [...]
>> So there we go:
>> 1) open SqueakMap Catalog from Apps menu
>> 2) no packages there (Trunk image), have to right-click the package list and disable "New safely-available packages"
>> 3) enter "refactoring" in the Search package box, hit return. Takes me to AwesomAtom first. Hmm. Unfortunately Refactoring Tools starts with an R, so I won't get there with repeated return hitting any time soon
>> 3½) since I happen to already know the name, scroll down to Refactoring Tools manually
>> 4) right-click, Install. "The package has no published release for your Squeak version [...]". Yes. Another warning prompt, yes.
>

> Problems for a newcomer:
> 1) What is SqueakMap? Or how would I even know I need to look at it, it is not mentioned in the Welcome to Squeak text.
> 2&4) Newcomers should definitely stick to release images :-) and hope that the packages have versions for the latest one.
> 3) The search mode seems unintuitive (although I guess I understand why it does what it does)
>
> I hope that the experience is improved and simplified with the changes Chris has coming.
>
> I used to install Metacello via SqueakMap before the item in the Do menu appeared, so my annoyances were 2), 3), 4). Looking up the install snippet on GitHub is not faster. Typing Installer ensureRecentMetacello is faster, but then I have to remember that. I didn't know about the "Extending the system" page until two days ago.
>
> Still I'd rather like to keep the Metacello item in the Do menu. Or Apps or Tools. Doesn't matter to me whether it is at the top, in the middle or at the bottom. After clicking that, I can continue to copy the install script from the GitHub project's README that I had right in front of me when I decided that I need to grab a new trunk image.
>
> The community might decide to drop the Git infrastructure item (remember Chris: I did not put it there, the fans of it did), but I think easing the access to GitHub projects is important in the present and the future.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jakob

Re: The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Jakob Reschke
Hi Chris,

Am Fr., 5. Apr. 2019 um 02:44 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

I also recognize a perception on your part of Squeak and its community
being like the group identified on the home-page of github.com:

    "Built for developers"

so hope you won't mind me reminding that the audience for Squeak goes
beyond that group.  Squeak should continue to cater to Users, because
they're not as tough as Developers.  As a developer, you can
appreciate a modular system capable of loading IDE plug-ins.

I know that Squeak does not target developers only. But it *also* targets developers.

I do not see the conflict in this case. Having a shortcut to install Metacello is nothing like twisting the concept of Morphic, turning your browser into a command line tool, or showing debugging annotations on every graphical widget, or something like that. It is not invasive. Neither are the refactoring tools. They extend the system browser, which is a developer's tool anyway.

> These projects place a Metacello load script in their README files.

I wasn't trying to change you if you have a special use-case or
preference for doing configuration that way.

It is not a matter of my taste of writing install scripts. It is a matter of how people in general write install scripts (see below). We can procilaim the "correct" way to do that all day long, but it is meaningless if the rest of the world does not agree or does not comply.

> Yeah, projects that use Pharo or GemStone as their primary platform will be delighted to hear that they have to maintain a SqueakMap entry to give squeakers a chance to try their stuff. Not!

Of course it's not mandatory, but I think you're kidding yourself if
you think Users (and even Developers) in 2019 will be delighted to
know they have to do a lot of research and work (hint:  a lot more
than 9 clicks) just to figure out how to try out your project.

Well, the Smalltalk projects on GitHub that I came across typically have an "Installing" section at the top of their README, which is displayed on the project's front page on GitHub. This section often contains a snippet like the following:

    Metacello new
        baseline: 'NameOfTheProject';
        repository: 'github://...';
        load.

That's easy enough to copy&paste and run and requires less than 9 interactions, *if* Metacello is available in the image already.

Some projects (typically those developed in Squeak) include the hint for Squeak that you first have to install the latest Metacello because it is not included in Squeak. Ideally every project would also include the Installer ensureRecentMetacello snippet.

But as a matter of fact, not all projects include these hints. Because they are built in Pharo and Pharo has the latest Metacello loaded already. And if they don't use Squeak in the first place, you cannot tell them to go to the SqueakMap. On the other hand, we should not dismiss them or their projects just because they don't know or care enough about supporting Squeak. That would be a huge, arrogant mistake, IMHO.

If a Squeaker tries to maintain the SqueakMap entry for such a project, it is doomed to become stale sooner or later in my opinion.

That's
what SqueakMap was designed to solve:  fixed configurations that
present the project, and work forever on a particular version.  It's
targeted to helping _others besides you_ configure their system so
they can evaluate your project's latest working version to decide if
they want to invest the time in setting up a dev configuration.  But
often others will capture load scripts and document them on SqueakMap
for themselves, you don't have to do it if you don't want.

That's all nice and I see the benefit. You don't have to convince me. But the reality is that it places a burden on the project or entry maintainers. The devs have to step outside their repository to make their stuff more easily available. A third person that creates a SqueakMap entry assumes the responsibility to retest that project for every new release and update the entry. It might be simple, but it is not at all appealing for someone who only uses Squeak as a hobby (or not at all).

Best regards,
Jakob

Re: The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Chris Muller-4
Hi Jakob,

>> I also recognize a perception on your part of Squeak and its community
>> being like the group identified on the home-page of github.com:
>>
>>     "Built for developers"
>>
>> so hope you won't mind me reminding that the audience for Squeak goes
>> beyond that group.  Squeak should continue to cater to Users, because
>> they're not as tough as Developers.  As a developer, you can
>> appreciate a modular system capable of loading IDE plug-ins.
>

> I know that Squeak does not target developers only. But it *also* targets developers.

Of course, I believe I said that.

> I do not see the conflict in this case. Having a shortcut to install Metacello is nothing like twisting the concept of Morphic, turning your browser into a command line tool, or showing debugging annotations on every graphical widget, or something like that. It is not invasive. Neither are the refactoring tools. They extend the system browser, which is a developer's tool anyway.

Are you saying Metacello does not have its own browser and never will?

>> > These projects place a Metacello load script in their README files.
>>
>> I wasn't trying to change you if you have a special use-case or
>> preference for doing configuration that way.
>
> It is not a matter of my taste of writing install scripts. It is a matter of how people in general write install scripts (see below). We can procilaim the "correct" way to do that all day long, but it is meaningless if the rest of the world does not agree or does not comply.

This entire statement above is completely meaningless...   The "world"
does not "agree" on anything, nor is there any need to "agree" or
"comply" with anything w.r.t. what we're talking about.

>> > Yeah, projects that use Pharo or GemStone as their primary platform will be delighted to hear that they have to maintain a SqueakMap entry to give squeakers a chance to try their stuff. Not!
>>
>> Of course it's not mandatory, but I think you're kidding yourself if
>> you think Users (and even Developers) in 2019 will be delighted to
>> know they have to do a lot of research and work (hint:  a lot more
>> than 9 clicks) just to figure out how to try out your project.
>
> Well, the Smalltalk projects on GitHub that I came across typically have an "Installing" section at the top of their README, which is displayed on the project's front page on GitHub. This section often contains a snippet like the following:
>
>     Metacello new
>         baseline: 'NameOfTheProject';
>         repository: 'github://...';
>         load.
>
> That's easy enough to copy&paste and run and requires less than 9 interactions, *if* Metacello is available in the image already.

"Easy enough" means you've accepted a compromise.  You will never
achieve a high level of participation until its easier for newbie
developers.  But that's not my business, only Squeak's IDE...

> Some projects (typically those developed in Squeak) include the hint for Squeak that you first have to install the latest Metacello because it is not included in Squeak. Ideally every project would also include the Installer ensureRecentMetacello snippet.

Why don't they?   If they wish to support Squeak, then that's a
configuration error in those packages, full stop.

> But as a matter of fact, not all projects include these hints. Because they are built in Pharo and Pharo has the latest Metacello loaded already.  And if they don't use Squeak in the first place, you cannot tell them to go to the SqueakMap.

But Jakob, **they don't mention to find the Metacello pre-req on
Squeak's Do menu either**, right?  So, either way, newbies trying to
use your projects in Squeak are confused and lost.

Which is sad, because normally someone using Squeak knows about
SqueakMap, it's part of their main knowledge / training, because
SqueakMap is how projects are loaded in Squeak.

> On the other hand, we should not dismiss them or their projects just because they don't know or care enough about supporting Squeak. That would be a huge, arrogant mistake, IMHO.

I'm not sure why you feel dismissed when it's actually Squeak that's
being dismissed -- by omitting ensureMetacello at the top of your
project README's, and further by trying to compensate for this by
trampling Squeak's menu with your personal hack that confuses and
dilutes the hard work that went into making configuration in Squeak a
breeze for anyone; developer or user.

> If a Squeaker tries to maintain the SqueakMap entry for such a project, it is doomed to become stale sooner or later in my opinion.

As someone in Pharo-land, I don't expect you to understand SqueakMap
or the goals it solves, but just so you know, correctly defined
SqueakMap configurations _never_ get stale.

>> That's
>> what SqueakMap was designed to solve:  fixed configurations that
>> present the project, and work forever on a particular version.  It's
>> targeted to helping _others besides you_ configure their system so
>> they can evaluate your project's latest working version to decide if
>> they want to invest the time in setting up a dev configuration.  But
>> often others will capture load scripts and document them on SqueakMap
>> for themselves, you don't have to do it if you don't want.
>

> That's all nice and I see the benefit. You don't have to convince me. But the reality is that it places a burden on the project or entry maintainers.
> The devs have to step outside their repository to make their stuff more easily available. A third person that creates a SqueakMap entry assumes the responsibility to retest that project for every new release and update the entry. It might be simple, but it is not at all appealing for someone who only uses Squeak as a hobby (or not at all).

You made the argument above that "it is doomed to become stale" but
then above you say, "responsibility to test".  Which is it Jakob?

As I tried to explain above, neither.  Because if a project is worth
installing for someone else, THEY will do it.  If it isn't, they
won't.

In the meantime, I hope you'll close the gap in your configurations
with a "ensureMetacello" at the top of your README's.  You can easily
be inclusive of all platforms OOTB without hurting Pharo at all, if
you want to be.

Barring that, all I ask that we don't confuse how software
Installation is done in Squeak.

 - Chris

Re: The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Jakob Reschke
Hi Chris,

Sigh, I feel thoroughly misunderstood. Am I expressing myself so unclear? If that's the case I apologize. Let's have another try:

Some general remarks at the beginning: when I write about "those GitHub projects", I do not (only) mean my own projects. I mean Smalltalk projects on GitHub in general. Many of them are developed in Pharo, I suppose, since Pharo had the better Git support first (with GitFileTree and later Iceberg).

My own hobby projects are
1) Squot/Squit/FileSystem-Git, which has the installGitInfrastructure snippet you removed from the Do menu in its readme: https://github.com/hpi-swa/Squot/blob/develop/README.md The text below that does not include ensureLatestMetacello because it was written before either of those methods existed in the Installer class.
2) the "bare minimum" Tonel fork for Squeak, which has the ensureLatestMetacello line in its readme: https://github.com/j4yk/tonel/blob/squeak/README.md
And actually, I have no other ongoing hobby software development projects at the moment, except if you also count the Squeak version of FileSystem which I dug into for FileSystem-Git (which is, like FileSystem, something I picked up, rather than invent).

Consequently, my current free time development platform of choice is Squeak. It is not Pharo.

Am Sa., 6. Apr. 2019 um 04:38 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

> I do not see the conflict in this case. Having a shortcut to install Metacello is nothing like twisting the concept of Morphic, turning your browser into a command line tool, or showing debugging annotations on every graphical widget, or something like that. It is not invasive. Neither are the refactoring tools. They extend the system browser, which is a developer's tool anyway.

Are you saying Metacello does not have its own browser and never will?

Well, that's not what I said, but actually it is true: Metacello has no browser and I think it never will. Metacello configurations, or rather only baselines in the case of Git projects, are written with the system browser; they are Smalltalk code. See http://pharobooks.gforge.inria.fr/PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/latest/Metacello.pdf (also applies to Squeak)

What I instead wanted to say is that the install item in the Do menu does not make the image less friendly for a newcomer. But it makes it easier for some of us---myself included---to initialize a trunk image to a state from which we can start working.

>> > These projects place a Metacello load script in their README files.
>>
>> I wasn't trying to change you if you have a special use-case or
>> preference for doing configuration that way.
>
> It is not a matter of my taste of writing install scripts. It is a matter of how people in general write install scripts (see below). We can procilaim the "correct" way to do that all day long, but it is meaningless if the rest of the world does not agree or does not comply.

This entire statement above is completely meaningless...   The "world"
does not "agree" on anything, nor is there any need to "agree" or
"comply" with anything w.r.t. what we're talking about.

Let me try again by mapping the generalizations in my sentence to more concrete entities:
- we = actually you and anybody else who says that SqueakMap should be the sole way of loading packages into a Squeak image. I put myself in these shoes in partial agreement with you and, to be less dismissive, wrote "we" instead of "you". Unfortunately there are no separate pronouns known to me that distinguish "others and me, including you" (which is what I meant) from "others and me, but without you" (which you might have interpreted).
- the "correct" way to do that = putting the install script for the project on SqueakMap
- the rest of the world = non-Squeakers, but Smalltalkers, who put their projects on GitHub. Especially Pharoers. Not me, not you.
- does not agree = they don't want to deal with SqueakMap or don't want to check which loading prerequisites a fresh Squeak Trunk image fulfills and which not (that is Metacello)
- does not comply = does not include the ensureLatestMetacello line in their readme (maybe they don't even know that it is required in Squeak)

So to put it together again: I do make sure that the readme of my projects has a snippet that can be run in a fresh trunk image and it will load everything that is needed. I could, and probably should, put that exact snippet on SqueakMap, too. The current state of affairs is that there are other projects on GitHub (not mine) that don't include the ensureLatestMetacello line. Because they are probably not aware that it is required in Squeak. Nobody can blame them for that if they only work in Pharo and have never used Squeak. Even if we would agree that the best way is to register the project on SqueakMap, and that every project with a Metacello configuration should include the ensureLatestMetacello line in their installation instructions (readme) for Squeak, it would not change the fact that the maintainers of those projects will probably do neither of that.

The case where a third person creates a SqueakMap entry for such a project I will comment below.

>> > Yeah, projects that use Pharo or GemStone as their primary platform will be delighted to hear that they have to maintain a SqueakMap entry to give squeakers a chance to try their stuff. Not!
>>
>> Of course it's not mandatory, but I think you're kidding yourself if
>> you think Users (and even Developers) in 2019 will be delighted to
>> know they have to do a lot of research and work (hint:  a lot more
>> than 9 clicks) just to figure out how to try out your project.
>
> Well, the Smalltalk projects on GitHub that I came across typically have an "Installing" section at the top of their README, which is displayed on the project's front page on GitHub. This section often contains a snippet like the following:
>
>     Metacello new
>         baseline: 'NameOfTheProject';
>         repository: 'github://...';
>         load.
>
> That's easy enough to copy&paste and run and requires less than 9 interactions, *if* Metacello is available in the image already.

"Easy enough" means you've accepted a compromise.  You will never
achieve a high level of participation until its easier for newbie
developers.  But that's not my business, only Squeak's IDE...

Assuming a newbie project maintainer's point of view (not someone who looks at Squeak for the first time), I don't see a more practical solution than a copy&paste-able install script in my readme right now. Forcing newbies to learn how to put entries on SqueakMap does not make Squeak more appealing as a platform, IMHO. Although it is a worthwhile thing to learn. An analogy (as perceived by me): You would not want to force a newbie C GNU/Linux developer to set up a Debian package for the calculator they have just written and are eager to share (...)

Second, even if you put up a SqueakMap entry, you have two things to maintain now: your readme (which you have to keep for Pharo, for example) and the SqueakMap entry. More on that maintenance further down this message.

Third, "easy enough" actually means "very easy" for someone who does not have Squeak open in front of them for the first time. The precondition to meet is to be able to use a workspace and evaluate code in it. That does not apply to a Squeak user who never touches any Smalltalk code. If that's your point, I agree with you.

> Some projects (typically those developed in Squeak) include the hint for Squeak that you first have to install the latest Metacello because it is not included in Squeak. Ideally every project would also include the Installer ensureRecentMetacello snippet.

Why don't they?   If they wish to support Squeak, then that's a
configuration error in those packages, full stop.

Because "every project" also includes projects whose developers do not use Squeak. But the project might still be interesting for Squeakers. For example, there is Clément's Scorch: https://github.com/clementbera/Scorch Clément seems to use Pharo only, but Eliot wants to have Scorch in Squeak. (Though, the most severe hurdle at the moment is that Scorch is kept in Tonel format and tools for that are not yet ready or comfortable to use in Squeak. Eliot's problem is not the fact that the readme does not include the ensureLatestMetacello line.)

The case is that these projects might not "wish to [officially] support Squeak", but Squeakers might wish to use them anyway. And in my opinion, even if Squeak is at a disadvantage in this case, Squeak should not put more obstacles, or rather nuisances, in the way than necessary. That's why my favorite solution would be to have Metacello in each trunk image (we discussed about such inclusion and its problems with Marcel in the other thread). The workaround solutions are:
1) make Metacello as quickly installable as possible: the Do (or whatever) menu item
2) post pull requests to those projects and add that ensureLatestMetacello line: might be rejected because the maintainers don't want to assume responsibility for the project to work in Squeak
3) create "third-party-maintained" SqueakMap entries: see below

> But as a matter of fact, not all projects include these hints. Because they are built in Pharo and Pharo has the latest Metacello loaded already.  And if they don't use Squeak in the first place, you cannot tell them to go to the SqueakMap.

But Jakob, **they don't mention to find the Metacello pre-req on
Squeak's Do menu either**, right?  So, either way, newbies trying to
use your projects in Squeak are confused and lost.

This particular point is not about newbies (I'll switch back to newcomers since it sounds nicer to me). But if you have read all the latest posts, you have found out that it is contested whether the Do menu is a thing for newcomers, or rather a thing for "power users". I count myself among the people that assumed the latter.

You are right, however, that having the menu item in either of the menus won't make it easier to load such projects as a newcomer. In my opinion, neither does the snippet buried in "Extending the system" help in that case. For that, it should rather read "How to install software in Squeak". But the actor in the use case I describe is not a newcomer. It is a developer or a Squeak power user.

Which is sad, because normally someone using Squeak knows about
SqueakMap, it's part of their main knowledge / training, because
SqueakMap is how projects are loaded in Squeak.

I may be mistaken about that because of my own history, but I doubt that SqueakMap is a well-known tool for people that are relatively new to Squeak. I have never used SqueakMap until roughly a year ago. I have first used Squeak in 2012.

SqueakMap is also not something I remember being used in any university course that I attended and that was related to Squeak. If you would like to challenge and discuss why that was not done, I suggest to do that in a separate thread.

> On the other hand, we should not dismiss them or their projects just because they don't know or care enough about supporting Squeak. That would be a huge, arrogant mistake, IMHO.

I'm not sure why you feel dismissed when it's actually Squeak that's
being dismissed -- by omitting ensureMetacello at the top of your
project README's, and further by trying to compensate for this by
trampling Squeak's menu with your personal hack that confuses and
dilutes the hard work that went into making configuration in Squeak a
breeze for anyone; developer or user.

See above: Your interpretation of me feeling dismissed or having omitted the Metacello line is false as I did not refer to me or my projects.
I referred to the kind of projects I described above instead.

Otherwise I would not have used the pronouns "they", "them", and "their", but rather "we", "us", and "our".

> If a Squeaker tries to maintain the SqueakMap entry for such a project, it is doomed to become stale sooner or later in my opinion.

As someone in Pharo-land, I don't expect you to understand SqueakMap
or the goals it solves, but just so you know, correctly defined
SqueakMap configurations _never_ get stale.

How did you get the impression that I am "someone in Pharo-land"? I only start Pharo when I have to look up how something works there when I port something to Squeak. It would not make much sense to develop Git tools for Squeak if I would use Pharo primarily, wouldn't it? Not being used to Pharo, I very much favor Squeak. I am not even subscribed the Pharo mailing list at this time.

But I have different workflows in Squeak and different opinions about that than you have, Chris. And, since it seems to me that you have never used Metacello or maintained a Squeak project outside of Monticello or changeset-land, I also use different tools. Though, I am not an exceptional case on that matter, believe me.

On the meaning of "stale": I know that a non-head SqueakMap configuration will continue to work for a particular Squeak release because the configuration is expected to pin down the version of the project being loaded. What I meant is that there might be no updated, new configurations for new versions of Squeak or the project. SqueakMap entries for Squeak 3.x don't help me if I am not also willing to use that old Squeak version. SqueakMap entries that are several years old for a project that has evolved since then don't help me either if I want to use the newer version. I consider this a "stale" project entry as well, although its dated configurations may still work fine.

>> That's
>> what SqueakMap was designed to solve:  fixed configurations that
>> present the project, and work forever on a particular version.  It's
>> targeted to helping _others besides you_ configure their system so
>> they can evaluate your project's latest working version to decide if
>> they want to invest the time in setting up a dev configuration.  But
>> often others will capture load scripts and document them on SqueakMap
>> for themselves, you don't have to do it if you don't want.
>

> That's all nice and I see the benefit. You don't have to convince me. But the reality is that it places a burden on the project or entry maintainers.
> The devs have to step outside their repository to make their stuff more easily available. A third person that creates a SqueakMap entry assumes the responsibility to retest that project for every new release and update the entry. It might be simple, but it is not at all appealing for someone who only uses Squeak as a hobby (or not at all).

You made the argument above that "it is doomed to become stale" but
then above you say, "responsibility to test".  Which is it Jakob?

It is not a contradiction at all. If someone creates an entry, but does not assume that responsibility, the entry will become stale. And even if someone is aware of that responsibility and assumes it wittingly, they might change their mind or lose interest at a later time. Or they simply don't have time for Squeak anymore. The consequence: the entry (the project on SqueakMap) becomes stale (as in my definition). Unless somebody else picks it up, but the cycle may repeat.

Of course, it does not *always* happen that people leave Squeak and their SqueakMap entries behind. So "doomed" as in "destined" is indeed an exaggeration, sorry.

As I tried to explain above, neither.  Because if a project is worth
installing for someone else, THEY will do it.  If it isn't, they
won't.

In the meantime, I hope you'll close the gap in your configurations
with a "ensureMetacello" at the top of your README's.  You can easily
be inclusive of all platforms OOTB without hurting Pharo at all, if
you want to be.

See above, you misunderstood me.

Barring that, all I ask that we don't confuse how software
Installation is done in Squeak.

As written above: You present that as an uncontested fact. I doubt that it is. My doubts might be unjustified, but as a matter of fact software *is* loaded into Squeak images *without* using SqueakMap. Just like someone using Debian GNU/Linux is not restricted to install software exclusively from the official package repositories of that distribution. Although my impression is that the usage rate of apt and the official repository to install software in Debian, Ubuntu etc. is less debatable than the usage rate of SqueakMap in Squeak.

We could have a poll to capture the current usage of SqueakMap both from a user's and a maintainer's point of view, but again I propose to move that to a separate thread. Also I acknowledge that the poll would be biased by the fact that not every Squeak user is on the mailing list.

To avoid a further misunderstanding: I don't think that SqueakMap should not be used or were the wrong tool for the purpose. I rather think that you might overestimate its current role. I don't remember seeing anyone using SqueakMap in front of my eyes, and I have seen many screens with Squeak. Yet, my perception might be biased, that's why I would be interested in that poll.

Kind regards,
Jakob

Re: The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Hi Jakob,

> Sigh, I feel thoroughly misunderstood. Am I expressing myself so unclear? If that's the case I apologize. Let's have another try:

Thanks for your effort to broaden our mutual understanding.  The fact
that these menu items are at the nexus of broad and complex topics of
configuration, community and UX, it's no surprise that there's a lot
to say.

In the interests of clarity, I'm going to be liberal in snipping out a
lot of what I consider to be "weeds" in this discussion, so that
what's left will hopefully be a distillation of what's relevant.

> Consequently, my current free time development platform of choice is Squeak. It is not Pharo.

Okay, I didn't know.

>> Are you saying Metacello does not have its own browser and never will?
> (...snip...) Metacello has no browser and I think it never will.

Okay, but for reasons I'll explain below, this does not excuse it back
to the Do menu.

> What I instead wanted to say is that the install item in the Do menu does not make the image less friendly for a newcomer. But it makes it easier for some of us---myself included---to initialize a trunk image to a state from which we can start working.

This is where I would like to ask you to take a step back and imagine
there is _another university_, or perhaps two or three, or five, each
with their own way to "initialize a trunk image to a state from which
we can start working."  We ALL face this issue of "initial
configuration", Jakob.  So far, no one else has added theirs to the Do
menu, not because they agree with Marcel that it isn't much to type
into a workspace, but because they respect that such a thing is
completely unscalable and unsustainable.  The Do menu is like a
"commons".

None of the other parts of the discussion below (SqueakMap, etc.)
really matters beyond the point above, except as it can be interesting
to entertain alternative ideas with you.  I don't want to force you or
anyone to use SqueakMap, just please don't make an unscalable third
place for general-installation of software by polluting the Do menu.
Or, do it only in the university image, not the release image.

>> > It is not a matter of my taste of writing install scripts. It is a matter of how people in general write install scripts (see below). We can procilaim the "correct" way to do that all day long, but it is meaningless if the rest of the world does not agree or does not comply.
>>
>> This entire statement above is completely meaningless...   The "world"
>> does not "agree" on anything, nor is there any need to "agree" or
>> "comply" with anything w.r.t. what we're talking about.
>
> Let me try again by mapping the generalizations in my sentence to more concrete entities:
> - we = actually you and anybody else who says that SqueakMap should be the sole way of loading packages into a Squeak image  (...snip...)
> - the "correct" way to do that = putting the install script for the project on SqueakMap
> - the rest of the world = non-Squeakers, but Smalltalkers, who put their projects on GitHub. Especially Pharoers. Not me, not you.
> - does not agree = they don't want to deal with SqueakMap or don't want to check which loading prerequisites a fresh Squeak Trunk image fulfills and which not (that is Metacello)
> - does not comply = does not include the ensureLatestMetacello line in their readme (maybe they don't even know that it is required in Squeak)

That is exacly how I understood you the first time, and my first
response remains the same.  The problem with your argument is you are
pretending "the rest of the world" group, the "does not agree" group,
and "does not comply" groups actually care about having those items on
the Do menu or on SqueakMap.  Since they don't use or care about
Squeak, they don't.  So correct, we DON'T expect them to make
SqueakMap entries.

The only ones that care about access in Squeak is the "we" (more
specifically, you, Marcel, people loading projects from github into
Squeak).  People who, I guess, want to use Squeak and want it be easy
for them.  That makes YOU the "third person" to make that entry, *even
for projects maintained by others*, because for no other reason that
you want to be able to consume it quickly.  Remember, #ensureMetacello
doesn't get you "initialize a trunk image to a state from which we can
start working," does it?  Because you still have to load whatever
package(s) you want to actually work on.

>> ... snip ...

>> > Well, the Smalltalk projects on GitHub that I came across typically have an "Installing" section at the top of their README, which is displayed on the project's front page on GitHub. This section often contains a snippet like the following:
>> >
>> >     Metacello new
>> >         baseline: 'NameOfTheProject';
>> >         repository: 'github://...';
>> >         load.

Ah!  This made me just be able to grok Fabio's idea!  Cool!  How about that?

>> > That's easy enough to copy&paste and run and requires less than 9 interactions, *if* Metacello is available in the image already.
>>
>> "Easy enough" means you've accepted a compromise.  You will never
>> achieve a high level of participation until its easier for newbie
>> developers.  But that's not my business, only Squeak's IDE...
>
> Assuming a newbie project maintainer's point of view (not someone who looks at Squeak for the first time), I don't see a more practical solution than a copy&paste-able install script in my readme right now. Forcing newbies to learn how to put entries on SqueakMap does not make Squeak more appealing as a platform, IMHO.

There you go again, talking about "forcing".  I want to state this
very cleearly -- **all of my ideas in this discussion were always
based on not depending on anything from package maintainers**.
Nothing.

Seriously, please align the incentives with the resultant actions in
your analysis and process development.  The basis of your arguments is
always that these two incentives are mis-aligned, which isn't reality.

> Although it is a worthwhile thing to learn. An analogy (as perceived by me): You would not want to force a newbie C GNU/Linux developer to set up a Debian package for the calculator they have just written and are eager to share (...)
>
> Second, even if you put up a SqueakMap entry, you have two things to maintain now: your readme (which you have to keep for Pharo, for example) and the SqueakMap entry. More on that maintenance further down this message.

So you're writing and maintaining multiple lines of code in a README
that is not subject to the benefits of SCM version control and
in-browser editing, etc.?   Maybe the readme should be just one single
line that simply calls an appropriate method on Installer (or
whatever) to do everything.  Maybe even such readme script could be
accessed directly off the network from within Squeak?  Then,
theoretcally, you wouldn't have to "maintain" it...   But, this method
of doing configuration is quickly shows its limitations...

Furthermore, what you're trying to do is expect software written for
Pharo to install and work on Squeak with zero code or effort for
platform-specific configuration issues.  This does not represent a
commitment to Squeak, and is not an excuse to pollute one of its
commons areas just to make arriving at a half-assed configuration
easier.

I also like Fabio's idea...

> Because "every project" also includes projects whose developers do not use Squeak. But the project might still be interesting for Squeakers.

If it was truly "interesting" to a Squeaker they would want an easy
way to consume, so would not mind cut-and-pasting the load-script into
a SqueakMap entry.  They wouldn't add it to the Do menu.

> For example, there is Clément's Scorch: https://github.com/clementbera/Scorch Clément seems to use Pharo only, but Eliot wants to have Scorch in Squeak. (Though, the most severe hurdle at the moment is that Scorch is kept in Tonel format and tools for that are not yet ready or comfortable to use in Squeak. Eliot's problem is not the fact that the readme does not include the ensureLatestMetacello line.)
>
> The case is that these projects might not "wish to [officially] support Squeak", but Squeakers might wish to use them anyway. And in my opinion, even if Squeak is at a disadvantage in this case, Squeak should not put more obstacles, or rather nuisances, in the way than necessary. That's why my favorite solution would be to have Metacello in each trunk image (we discussed about such inclusion and its problems with Marcel in the other thread).

Having Metacello in the image does not eliminate any obstacle to
accessing those projects.  **You still need to know the load script**
to load them.  Are you saying these scripts are in Metacello without
Metacello, and would not care to have it in my image.

The workaround solutions are:
> 1) make Metacello as quickly installable as possible: the Do (or whatever) menu item

You keep conflating this with access to the projects (as provided in 2
and 3, next).  This is the "halfway configured" state.  This is not a
"solution" to configuration.

> 2) post pull requests to those projects and add that ensureLatestMetacello line: might be rejected because the maintainers don't want to assume responsibility for the project to work in Squeak

MIT license states "softare is AS IS", how in the world does
"ensureMetacello" line suddely make maintainers "responsible"?

I know this doesn't change the fact they could still refuse, but at
least don't let it be for a false reason like that!

> 3) create "third-party-maintained" SqueakMap entries: see below

>> > But as a matter of fact, not all projects include these hints. Because they are built in Pharo and Pharo has the latest Metacello loaded already.  And if they don't use Squeak in the first place, you cannot tell them to go to the SqueakMap.
>>
>> But Jakob, **they don't mention to find the Metacello pre-req on
>> Squeak's Do menu either**, right?  So, either way, newbies trying to
>> use your projects in Squeak are confused and lost.
> ...snip...
>
> You are right, however, that having the menu item in either of the menus won't make it easier to load such projects as a newcomer.
> In my opinion, neither does the snippet buried in "Extending the system" help in that case.

I disagree, because that falls under "Help".  The requirement is we
make a "natural path of discovery", the Help menu is the start of that
path.  The Do menu isn't anywhere on it.

>> Which is sad, because normally someone using Squeak knows about
>> SqueakMap, it's part of their main knowledge / training, because
>> SqueakMap is how projects are loaded in Squeak.
>
> I may be mistaken about that because of my own history, but I doubt that SqueakMap is a well-known tool for people that are relatively new to Squeak. I have never used SqueakMap until roughly a year ago. I have first used Squeak in 2012.
>
> SqueakMap is also not something I remember being used in any university course that I attended and that was related to Squeak. If you would like to challenge and discuss why that was not done, I suggest to do that in a separate thread.

What matters is the future.  What we want Squeak to BE.  Who used it
or didn't in the past is irrelevant, only that, going forward, it
serves those who want the flexibility load _anything_, and know that
it will work.

One thing I'm sure we agree on -- the "Do" menu and readme's are not
the university's "final solution" to this matter.

>> ... snip...
>
>> Barring that, all I ask that we don't confuse how software
>> Installation is done in Squeak.
>
> As written above: You present that as an uncontested fact. I doubt that it is. My doubts might be unjustified, but as a matter of fact software *is* loaded into Squeak images *without* using SqueakMap. Just like someone using Debian GNU/Linux is not restricted to install software exclusively from the official package repositories of that distribution. Although my impression is that the usage rate of apt and the official repository to install software in Debian, Ubuntu etc. is less debatable than the usage rate of SqueakMap in Squeak.

A catalog is catalog.  We both understand what purpose they serve, and
their limitations...

> To avoid a further misunderstanding: I don't think that SqueakMap should not be used or were the wrong tool for the purpose. I rather think that you might overestimate its current role.

Not at all.  I know exactly what its responsibilities and limitations
are.  The "head" versions which are for devs to load "the latest" are
available for cases like this, but SM's primary purpose is
preservation of working configurations.

> I don't remember seeing anyone using SqueakMap in front of my eyes, and I have seen many screens with Squeak. Yet, my perception might be biased, that's why I would be interested in that poll.

As I said before, such a thing is totally irrelevant to voluntaryists;
past, present, or future.  If a github project sufficently interests
someone in Squeak, they'll make a SqueakMap entry for it to serve them
personally.  If it doesn't, they won't.  Either way, no one is
"forced" to do anything whatsoever, but everyone benefits from those
who did voluntarily.

 - Chris

Re: The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Jakob Reschke
Hi Chris,

I think the main conflict point is resolved when the MetacelloStub proposal is accepted. I still would like to clarify some things for the benefit of mutual understanding, but I will try to skip the ones that would extend the debate needlessly.

Am Mo., 8. Apr. 2019 um 03:35 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
Remember, #ensureMetacello
doesn't get you "initialize a trunk image to a state from which we can
start working," does it?  Because you still have to load whatever
package(s) you want to actually work on.

In 90% of the cases when I fetch a new image, I will install Metacello first, then load something with it. That something varies, Metacello does not. Metacello is the common thing on these paths to the "complete" image, whatever comes after loading Metacello depends on the case. Metacello is a bit like a surrogate for SqueakMap in this alternate workflow, but not completely. And Metacello is not pre-loaded in the image. Imagine the nuisance if you had to install SqueakMap in every new image first and then a shortcut to do it that someone else recently added were removed. ;-) So much about my feelings for that menu entry. Fabio's suggestion and your implementation with the MetacelloStub solves the problem without the need for a menu entry, so it's the best of both worlds. Thank you.

> Second, even if you put up a SqueakMap entry, you have two things to maintain now: your readme (which you have to keep for Pharo, for example) and the SqueakMap entry. More on that maintenance further down this message.

So you're writing and maintaining multiple lines of code in a README
that is not subject to the benefits of SCM version control and
in-browser editing, etc.?

No, the readmes are under version control, in Git.

I don't know whether people ever edit them using Squeak, or Pharo, but I guess they don't. Files can be edited directly on GitHub and that usually is the quickest way for the readme because you can immediately see the results of the Markdown formatting. So it even is in-browser editing, albeit not with a Smalltalk browser. ;-) (This time, it really is a joke...)

Maybe the readme should be just one single
line that simply calls an appropriate method on Installer (or
whatever) to do everything.

The readmes on GitHub are also "regular" readme files, which contain the project description etc. Like the descriptions on SqueakMap.

Maybe even such readme script could be
accessed directly off the network from within Squeak?  Then,
theoretcally, you wouldn't have to "maintain" it...   But, this method
of doing configuration is quickly shows its limitations...

I thought a moment about automatically collecting SqueakMap entries out of GitHub projects. That is, finding them with the search if you conduct one. But there are all kinds of issues, such as reliably detecting the proper install script (there might be more than one) that applies to Squeak. And it could only provide head configurations, no stable ones, unless you put yet much more effort in. And it would, of course, find projects that won't work at all in Squeak and cannot even be loaded even if Metacello were already in the image.

Furthermore, what you're trying to do is expect software written for
Pharo to install and work on Squeak with zero code or effort for
platform-specific configuration issues.

No I never expect that such an attempt will be painless. Not even for proper Squeak projects in a trunk image. But actually I can seldom expect that from software in general. Still, hope dies last.

> The case is that these projects might not "wish to [officially] support Squeak", but Squeakers might wish to use them anyway. And in my opinion, even if Squeak is at a disadvantage in this case, Squeak should not put more obstacles, or rather nuisances, in the way than necessary. That's why my favorite solution would be to have Metacello in each trunk image (we discussed about such inclusion and its problems with Marcel in the other thread).

Having Metacello in the image does not eliminate any obstacle to
accessing those projects.  **You still need to know the load script**
to load them.  Are you saying these scripts are in Metacello without

No no, the scripts and Metacello configurations are only in the repositories of these projects. The code snippet to trigger Metacello to actually load the project is placed in the readme to have it easily found. So when you find something on GitHub and wish to load it, the load script is usually right in front of you, you don't have to know it.

The scenario I have in mind has a different starting point than the one you seem to have in mind: you seem to think of "I want to load project Xyz and I have Squeak in front of me. I go to the SqueakMap to load it", which makes sense (in particular if you are willing to create an entry if it does not exist yet). I think of "I am in my web browser and have project Xyz in front of me and would like to load it in Squeak. It has a (Metacello) load script in its installation instructions, so I go to Squeak (need Metacello) and run that load script". So in my case, the project and the load script is already found. Searching it again in SqueakMap feels a little redundant. However, you are right: if there is a working and up-to-date configuration (or one creates it), and one ever wants to load Xyz again, this will be an attractive way to go for next time.

> The workaround solutions are:
> 1) make Metacello as quickly installable as possible: the Do (or whatever) menu item

You keep conflating this with access to the projects (as provided in 2
and 3, next).  This is the "halfway configured" state.  This is not a
"solution" to configuration.

That's right, it does not get me to the final configuration. But it does make these GitHub projects (and their dependencies) accessible at all. That was the purpose all along. It was better than nothing or getting to the halfway-configured state in more cumbersome ways. The new MetacelloStub lets us skip that state.

> 2) post pull requests to those projects and add that ensureLatestMetacello line: might be rejected because the maintainers don't want to assume responsibility for the project to work in Squeak

MIT license states "softare is AS IS", how in the world does
"ensureMetacello" line suddely make maintainers "responsible"?

License aside, if someone had a "do this to load in Squeak" section in their text, I would assume that they support Squeak somehow. Also note that Pharo does not have the ensureRecentMetacello method AFAIK, so one cannot include that line in a general install script in the readme without mentioning Squeak. Again, with the MetacelloStub, there is no need to even ask for the line anymore.

> To avoid a further misunderstanding: I don't think that SqueakMap should not be used or were the wrong tool for the purpose. I rather think that you might overestimate its current role.

Not at all.  I know exactly what its responsibilities and limitations
are.

About that I had no doubts. I meant its popularity, but somehow that word didn't come to my mind yesterday, sorry. However, I did a little research and must acknowledge that my impression stems from the very limited exposure to SqueakMap at university. Most projects I know from there I don't find on SqueakMap. And since nobody uses Squeak in my regular surroundings today, that covers most of the projects I know. So my perception on that is indeed biased, as I feared.

> I don't remember seeing anyone using SqueakMap in front of my eyes, and I have seen many screens with Squeak. Yet, my perception might be biased, that's why I would be interested in that poll.

As I said before, such a thing is totally irrelevant to voluntaryists;
past, present, or future.  If a github project sufficently interests
someone in Squeak, they'll make a SqueakMap entry for it to serve them
personally.  If it doesn't, they won't.

It's not that simple. I know some squeakers personally who care very much about Squeak and they put a lot of effort into it. But their attention apparently does not extend to SqueakMap, and neither did mine. They probably have valid reasons, but I better refrain from trying to advocate any further. I have spent far too many hours of possible sleep on this discussion already. ;-) Have a nice day everyone.

Kind regards,
Jakob

12