The Inbox: System-jr.1083.mcz

commits-2
A new version of System was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/System-jr.1083.mcz

Name: System-jr.1083
Author: jr
Time: 10 August 2019, 11:06:17.813208 pm
UUID: b49919ec-ca8e-0c42-945d-8df056a7e51d
Ancestors: System-mt.1082

Allow to revert the latest method submission from the Do menu.

This makes it possible to revert the latest breaking change if the latter makes all Smalltalk tools unusable, but the world basically remains operable. In such cases, the emergency evaluator is not shown, so there was no easy way (that I know of) to revert the latest change.

Also update the deprecation delegation in revertLastMethodSubmission because RecentMessages does not understand the previous message anymore.

=============== Diff against System-mt.1082 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Utilities class>>initializeCommonRequestStrings (in category 'common requests') -----
  initializeCommonRequestStrings
  "Initialize the common request strings, a directly-editable list of expressions that can be evaluated from the 'do...' menu."

  CommonRequestStrings := StringHolder new contents:
  'Utilities emergencyCollapse.
  Utilities closeAllDebuggers.
+ RecentMessages default revertMostRecent.
  -
  MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches
  -
  Sensor keyboard.
  ParagraphEditor abandonChangeText.
  Cursor normal show.
  -
  CommandHistory resetAllHistory.
  Project allInstancesDo: [:p | p displayDepth: 16].
  ScriptingSystem inspectFormDictionary.
  Form fromUser bitEdit.
  Display border: (0@0 extent: 640@480) width: 2.
  -
  Undeclared inspect.
  Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys; inspect.
  Transcript clear.
  Utilities grabScreenAndSaveOnDisk.
  FrameRateMorph new openInHand.
  -
  Utilities reconstructTextWindowsFromFileNamed: ''TW''.
  Utilities storeTextWindowContentsToFileNamed: ''TW''.
  ChangeSorter removeEmptyUnnamedChangeSets.
  ChangeSorter reorderChangeSets.
  -
  ActiveWorld installVectorVocabulary.
  ActiveWorld abandonVocabularyPreference.'

  "Utilities initializeCommonRequestStrings"!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Utilities class>>revertLastMethodSubmission (in category 'recent method submissions') -----
  revertLastMethodSubmission
+ self deprecated: 'Use RecentMessages default revertMostRecent'.
+ RecentMessages default revertMostRecent.!
- self deprecated: 'Use RecentMessages default revertLastMethodSubmission'.
- RecentMessages default revertLastMethodSubmission.!

Re: The Inbox: System-jr.1083.mcz

Christoph Thiede
> In such cases, the emergency evaluator is not shown

By the way, it is possible to invoke the emergency evaluator manually. You can invoke it with [Project tryEmergencyEvaluatorForRecovery: 'foo']. Marcel Taeumel also has a changeset that overrides MorphicProject>>#interruptSystem: to display a cmd-dot menu with various options. I do not want to violate any copyrights, but I love this menu and use it every day :)

Best,
Christoph

A new version of System was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/System-jr.1083.mcz

Name: System-jr.1083

Carpe Squeak!

Re: The Inbox: System-jr.1083.mcz

marcel.taeumel
You are referring to that one here? :-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 12.08.2019 12:41:29 schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

> In such cases, the emergency evaluator is not shown

By the way, it is possible to invoke the emergency evaluator manually. You can invoke it with [Project tryEmergencyEvaluatorForRecovery: 'foo']. Marcel Taeumel also has a changeset that overrides MorphicProject>>#interruptSystem: to display a cmd-dot menu with various options. I do not want to violate any copyrights, but I love this menu and use it every day :)

Best,
Christoph

A new version of System was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/System-jr.1083.mcz

Name: System-jr.1083

Re: The Inbox: System-jr.1083.mcz

Christoph Thiede

Exactly, thanks for the link :-)

Btw, if you're still searching for desired entries for this list: In my image, I added an entry to [Utilities closeAllDebuggers] which has rescued me so many times :)

Best,

Christoph

Am 12.08.2019 12:41:29 schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

> In such cases, the emergency evaluator is not shown

By the way, it is possible to invoke the emergency evaluator manually. You can invoke it with [Project tryEmergencyEvaluatorForRecovery: 'foo']. Marcel Taeumel also has a changeset that overrides MorphicProject>>#interruptSystem: to display a cmd-dot menu with various options. I do not want to violate any copyrights, but I love this menu and use it every day :)

Best,
Christoph

A new version of System was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/System-jr.1083.mcz

Name: System-jr.1083

Carpe Squeak!

Re: The Inbox: System-jr.1083.mcz

Chris Muller-3
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:41 AM Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In such cases, the emergency evaluator is not shown

By the way, it is possible to invoke the emergency evaluator manually. You can invoke it with [Project tryEmergencyEvaluatorForRecovery: 'foo'].

It would be an extra gesture for the revert case, but that might make for a more-powerful Do menu entry than revertMostRecent.

Best,
  Chris

Marcel Taeumel also has a changeset that overrides MorphicProject>>#interruptSystem: to display a cmd-dot menu with various options. I do not want to violate any copyrights, but I love this menu and use it every day :)

Best,
Christoph

A new version of System was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/System-jr.1083.mcz

Name: System-jr.1083

Re: The Inbox: System-jr.1083.mcz

Jakob Reschke
Am Di., 13. Aug. 2019 um 03:41 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:41 AM Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In such cases, the emergency evaluator is not shown

By the way, it is possible to invoke the emergency evaluator manually. You can invoke it with [Project tryEmergencyEvaluatorForRecovery: 'foo'].

It would be an extra gesture for the revert case, but that might make for a more-powerful Do menu entry than revertMostRecent.

I am unsure which variant would be better. If someone stumbles into the same situation I did, but never saw the emergency evaluator before (lucky them), they might not know that it can solve their problem. On the other hand they also might not know what RecentMessages is about... I would have liked to give this line a label, such as "Revert latest method change". That would be the directest way to communicate its use. The Utilities method would have been that revealing, but it is deprecated.

Alternatively, one could put an item with a proper label under Extras or even Help. I know, this does not provide help literature, but it helps the panicking tool tinkerer. ;-)