The Inbox: Tests-TestRunner.156.mcz

commits-2
A new version of Tests was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tests-TestRunner.156.mcz

Name: Tests-TestRunner.156
Author: TestRunner
Time: 13 August 2012, 3:16:13.903 pm
UUID: db80f53a-320e-4151-8640-8db60fcecb21
Ancestors: Tests-fbs.155

ExceptionTests>>expectedFailures is a call for a better implementation. As an item on a todo list that won't make it into Squeak 4.4 (unless kind, angelic person fulfils its desired behaviour), I'm marking it as an "expected failure".

=============== Diff against Tests-fbs.155 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: ExceptionTests>>expectedFailures (in category 'testing') -----
+ expectedFailures
+ ^ #(testHandlerFromAction).!

Re: The Inbox: Tests-TestRunner.156.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
On 13 August 2012 15:16,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A new version of Tests was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tests-TestRunner.156.mcz

> Name: Tests-TestRunner.156
> Author: TestRunner
> Time: 13 August 2012, 3:16:13.903 pm
> UUID: db80f53a-320e-4151-8640-8db60fcecb21
> Ancestors: Tests-fbs.155
>
> ExceptionTests>>expectedFailures is a call for a better implementation. As an item on a todo list that won't make it into Squeak 4.4 (unless kind, angelic person fulfils its desired behaviour), I'm marking it as an "expected failure".

*cough* that should have been "ExceptionTests>>testHandlerFromAction
is a call ...".

frank

> =============== Diff against Tests-fbs.155 ===============
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ExceptionTests>>expectedFailures (in category 'testing') -----
> + expectedFailures
> +       ^ #(testHandlerFromAction).!

Re: The Inbox: Tests-TestRunner.156.mcz

Levente Uzonyi-2
Either you forgot to add your user initials or there's something wrong
with MC, but this package lacks author information. I wonder how is it
possible and if it will break any tools.

Levente

On 13 August 2012 15:22, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Either you forgot to add your user initials or there's something wrong with
> MC, but this package lacks author information. I wonder how is it possible
> and if it will break any tools.

No, it does have initials - the initials were set to 'TestRunner'. The
bug, if any, is that I used my MC credentials to submit it to the
Inbox. If you're OK with the change I'll just resubmit directly to
Trunk, with "proper" author initials, and ditch this submission.

(In a bit, at least. I'm going into a meeting right now.)

frank

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 13 August 2012 15:22, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Either you forgot to add your user initials or there's something wrong with
>> MC, but this package lacks author information. I wonder how is it possible
>> and if it will break any tools.
>
> No, it does have initials - the initials were set to 'TestRunner'. The

I see. :)

> bug, if any, is that I used my MC credentials to submit it to the
> Inbox. If you're OK with the change I'll just resubmit directly to
> Trunk, with "proper" author initials, and ditch this submission.

The change is okay, but I'm not sure that this feature will ever be
implemented.

Levente

On 13 August 2012 17:56, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> On 13 August 2012 15:22, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Either you forgot to add your user initials or there's something wrong
>>> with
>>> MC, but this package lacks author information. I wonder how is it
>>> possible
>>> and if it will break any tools.
>>

>> No, it does have initials - the initials were set to 'TestRunner'. The
>

> I see. :)
>

>> bug, if any, is that I used my MC credentials to submit it to the
>> Inbox. If you're OK with the change I'll just resubmit directly to
>> Trunk, with "proper" author initials, and ditch this submission.
>

> The change is okay, but I'm not sure that this feature will ever be
> implemented.

Well, it must either be an expected error or killed :) It looks like a
_desirable_ behaviour: I was surprised to see the test fail, once I
read it. Given that I've been monkeying around with exception handling
a fair bit over the last year, I don't mind taking a crack at making
the test pass for 4.5.

frank

> Levente
>

>> (In a bit, at least. I'm going into a meeting right now.)
>>
>> frank

Making #testHandlerFromAction pass (was: Re: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: Tests-TestRunner.156.mcz)

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Well, it must either be an expected error or killed :) It looks like a
> _desirable_ behaviour: I was surprised to see the test fail, once I
> read it. Given that I've been monkeying around with exception handling
> a fair bit over the last year, I don't mind taking a crack at making
> the test pass for 4.5.

Currently the stack looks something like this when ZeroDivide is raised:

ZeroDivide signaler
Error signaler
inner ZeroDivide handler
Error handler
outer ZeroDivide handler
bottom

Since finding the matching exception handler is done by walking down the
stack (primitive 197), so it's obvious why the inner handler is activated.
Maybe the simplest solution is to store the currently active exception
handler context in the process and start looking for a handler from the
one below it if there's one. You can find a simple changeset which
implement this here:
http://leves.web.elte.hu/squeak/partialFixForTestHandlerFromAction.st
If you load it into a "throw-away" image, you'll find that
#testHandlerFromAction passes, but #testHandlerReentrancy breaks. It seems
to be DebuggerMethodMap returning wrong #tempNames for the contexts.

Levente

Re: The Inbox: Tests-TestRunner.156.mcz

Chris Muller-3
> No, it does have initials - the initials were set to 'TestRunner'. The
> bug, if any, is that I used my MC credentials to submit it to the
> Inbox. If you're OK with the change I'll just resubmit directly to
> Trunk, with "proper" author initials, and ditch this submission.

If you submit with proper initials, then the total set of authors
across all versions will not have that anomaly.  If it's not too much
trouble, that would be preferable.

On 14 August 2012 05:31, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> No, it does have initials - the initials were set to 'TestRunner'. The
>> bug, if any, is that I used my MC credentials to submit it to the
>> Inbox. If you're OK with the change I'll just resubmit directly to
>> Trunk, with "proper" author initials, and ditch this submission.
>
> If you submit with proper initials, then the total set of authors
> across all versions will not have that anomaly.  If it's not too much
> trouble, that would be preferable.

It's already done :) I just haven't moved the Inbox submission yet.

frank