The Inbox: Tools-cmm.733.mcz

commits-2
Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.733.mcz

Name: Tools-cmm.733
Author: cmm
Time: 6 December 2016, 3:50:06.783172 pm
UUID: 46663c9b-de5d-4b65-ae5e-def988146a88
Ancestors: Tools-nice.732

Smalltalk garbageCollect can sometimes take many minutes, and there's no need to do it when opening a ProcessBrowser.

=============== Diff against Tools-nice.732 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: ProcessBrowser class>>open (in category 'instance creation') -----
  open
- "ProcessBrowser open"
- "Create and schedule a ProcessBrowser."
- Smalltalk garbageCollect.
  ^ToolBuilder open: self new!

Re: The Inbox: Tools-cmm.733.mcz

Tobias Pape

On 06.12.2016, at 22:50, [hidden email] wrote:

> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.733.mcz

> Name: Tools-cmm.733
> Author: cmm
> Time: 6 December 2016, 3:50:06.783172 pm
> UUID: 46663c9b-de5d-4b65-ae5e-def988146a88
> Ancestors: Tools-nice.732
>
> Smalltalk garbageCollect can sometimes take many minutes,

what?

> and there's no need to do it when opening a ProcessBrowser.
>
> =============== Diff against Tools-nice.732 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>  ----- Method: ProcessBrowser class>>open (in category 'instance creation') -----
>  open
> - "ProcessBrowser open"
> - "Create and schedule a ProcessBrowser."
> - Smalltalk garbageCollect.
>   ^ToolBuilder open: self new!

Re: The Inbox: Tools-cmm.733.mcz

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Tobias,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 06.12.2016, at 22:50, [hidden email] wrote:

> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.733.mcz

> Name: Tools-cmm.733
> Author: cmm
> Time: 6 December 2016, 3:50:06.783172 pm
> UUID: 46663c9b-de5d-4b65-ae5e-def988146a88
> Ancestors: Tools-nice.732
>
> Smalltalk garbageCollect can sometimes take many minutes,

what?

The Spur GC is not yet mature.  In particular the old space compaction algorithm that I wrote is poor, and we suspect it has very poor performance in rare circumstances.  We intend to reimplement asap, certainly before mid 2017.  We also plan to implement an incremental global gc which should remove the need to run global GC at all except when one needs to know that everything has been collected now (e.g. the pointer finder).

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

On 07.12.2016, at 20:13, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 06.12.2016, at 22:50, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
> > http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.733.mcz

> > Name: Tools-cmm.733
> > Author: cmm
> > Time: 6 December 2016, 3:50:06.783172 pm
> > UUID: 46663c9b-de5d-4b65-ae5e-def988146a88
> > Ancestors: Tools-nice.732
> >
> > Smalltalk garbageCollect can sometimes take many minutes,
>
> what?
>
> The Spur GC is not yet mature.  In particular the old space compaction algorithm that I wrote is poor, and we suspect it has very poor performance in rare circumstances.  We intend to reimplement asap, certainly before mid 2017.  We also plan to implement an incremental global gc which should remove the need to run global GC at all except when one needs to know that everything has been collected now (e.g. the pointer finder).

Ah. Didn't mean to be harsh, I was just surprised :)

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 07.12.2016, at 20:13, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 06.12.2016, at 22:50, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
> > http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.733.mcz

> > Name: Tools-cmm.733
> > Author: cmm
> > Time: 6 December 2016, 3:50:06.783172 pm
> > UUID: 46663c9b-de5d-4b65-ae5e-def988146a88
> > Ancestors: Tools-nice.732
> >
> > Smalltalk garbageCollect can sometimes take many minutes,
>
> what?
>
> The Spur GC is not yet mature.  In particular the old space compaction algorithm that I wrote is poor, and we suspect it has very poor performance in rare circumstances.  We intend to reimplement asap, certainly before mid 2017.  We also plan to implement an incremental global gc which should remove the need to run global GC at all except when one needs to know that everything has been collected now (e.g. the pointer finder).

Ah. Didn't mean to be harsh, I was just surprised :)

Don't worry; I was not offended.  I try not to take these things personally.  But let me take this opportunity to say we're very open to volunteers taking a look at this, or any other, part of the VM :-)  Help is most welcome.

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: The Inbox: Tools-cmm.733.mcz

Levente Uzonyi
On Wed, 7 Dec 2016, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Don't worry; I was not offended.  I try not to take these things personally.  But let me take this opportunity to say we're very open to volunteers taking a look at this, or any other, part of the VM :-)
>  Help is most welcome.

How long do you think someone could get to the point to understand how the
current GC works assuming no former VM developement experience?
How long do you think such person could reimplement a new GC?
How much effort would it take to decrease the barrier? (I'm asking this,
because I think it's way to hard for someone inexperienced to get into the
developement without nagging someone experienced with questions for
weeks.)

Levente