Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.826.mcz

==================== Summary ====================

Name: Tools-cmm.826
Author: cmm
Time: 1 July 2018, 6:35:14.376257 pm
UUID: e7b1e100-7da9-48e8-b544-7a5035c0693e
Ancestors: Tools-cmm.825

Command++ and Command+- hot keys for increasing/decreasing the sizes of all fonts.

=============== Diff against Tools-cmm.825 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: PasteUpMorph>>defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets (in category '*Tools') -----
  defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets
  "Answer a list of triplets of the form
  <key> <receiver> <selector>   [+ optional fourth element, a <description> for use in desktop-command-key-help]
  that will provide the default desktop command key handlers.  If the selector takes an argument, that argument will be the command-key event"

| noviceKeys expertKeys |

noviceKeys := {
  { $o. ActiveWorld. #activateObjectsTool. 'Activate the "Objects Tool"'}.
  { $r. ActiveWorld. #restoreMorphicDisplay. 'Redraw the screen'}.
  { $z. self. #undoOrRedoCommand. 'Undo or redo the last undoable command'}.
  { $F. Project current. #toggleFlapsSuppressed. 'Toggle the display of flaps'}.
  { $N. self. #toggleClassicNavigatorIfAppropriate. 'Show/Hide the classic Navigator, if appropriate'}.
  { $M. self. #toggleShowWorldMainDockingBar. 'Show/Hide the Main Docking Bar'}.
  { $]. Smalltalk. #saveSession. 'Save the image.'}.
  }.

Preferences noviceMode
  ifTrue:[^ noviceKeys].

expertKeys := {
  { $b. SystemBrowser. #defaultOpenBrowser. 'Open a new System Browser'}.
  { $k. StringHolder. #open. 'Open a new, blank Workspace'}.
  { $m. self. #putUpNewMorphMenu. 'Put up the "New Morph" menu'}.
  { $O. self. #findAMonticelloBrowser. 'Bring a Monticello window into focus.'}.
  { $t. self. #findATranscript:. 'Make a System Transcript visible'}.
  { $w. SystemWindow. #closeTopWindow. 'Close the topmost window'}.
  { Character escape. SystemWindow. #closeTopWindow. 'Close the topmost window'}.

{ $C. self. #findAChangeSorter:. 'Make a Change Sorter visible'}.

{ $L. self. #findAFileList:. 'Make a File List visible'}.
  { $P. self. #findAPreferencesPanel:. 'Activate the Preferences tool'}.
  { $R. Utilities. #browseRecentSubmissions. 'Make a Recent Submissions browser visible'}.

{ $W. self. #findAMessageNamesWindow:. 'Make a MessageNames tool visible'}.
  { $Z. ChangeList. #browseRecentLog. 'Browse recently-logged changes'}.

{ $\. SystemWindow. #sendTopWindowToBack. 'Send the top window to the back'}.
  { $_. Smalltalk. #quitPrimitive. 'Quit the image immediately.'}.
+
+ { $-. Preferences. #decreaseFontSize. 'Increase all font sizes'}.
+ { $+. Preferences. #increaseFontSize. 'Decrease all font sizes'}.
  }.

^ noviceKeys, expertKeys
  !

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Inbox: Tools-cmm.826.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Hi Tobias,

All I did was restore the original shortcut keys that had been in
Squeak since its earliest days.  I suppose I'm curious why you didn't
pose this question to the one who killed underline and strikeout
formatting but, for whatever reason, you seem to only "object" to MY
improvements.  But whatever, instead of questioning my friendliness,
how about talking about what's good for Squeak and the IDE?

Hot keys are for functions that are used *frequently*.  In a web
browser, zoom-in and out makes sense when every web page uses
different font sizes.  That's not the case for Squeak.  Setting
themes, colors, preferences and fonts is all part of initial
_configuration_, something typically done only once in the lifespan of
an image.  Most wares mature enough to worry about font sizes have
since developed their own configuration script which sets everything.
Nevertheless, it's now on the World menu, which can be activated by
mouse OR keyboard.

This provides desktop keys for the font size but do you really think
this is useful?   I can't think of any case where I'd want to be
frequently flipping back and forth between global font sizes once
they're set up.  We should spare hot keys for future USEFUL things, so
I vote we do NOT move it to trunk.

Best,
  Chris

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do I parse that correctly that you just killed font size handling via shortcuts and introduced a new one?
>
> While this could all be justified, wouldn't it be friendlier to first talk about that?
> Eg, via inbox or so?
>
> Best regards
>         -Tobias

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:35 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.826.mcz
>
> ==================== Summary ====================
>
> Name: Tools-cmm.826
> Author: cmm
> Time: 1 July 2018, 6:35:14.376257 pm
> UUID: e7b1e100-7da9-48e8-b544-7a5035c0693e
> Ancestors: Tools-cmm.825
>
> Command++ and Command+- hot keys for increasing/decreasing the sizes of all fonts.
>
> =============== Diff against Tools-cmm.825 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: PasteUpMorph>>defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets (in category '*Tools') -----
>   defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets
>         "Answer a list of triplets of the form
>                 <key> <receiver> <selector>   [+ optional fourth element, a <description> for use in desktop-command-key-help]
>   that will provide the default desktop command key handlers.  If the selector takes an argument, that argument will be the command-key event"
>
>         | noviceKeys expertKeys |
>
>         noviceKeys := {
>                 { $o.   ActiveWorld.                                            #activateObjectsTool.                                           'Activate the "Objects Tool"'}.
>                 { $r.   ActiveWorld.                                            #restoreMorphicDisplay.                                 'Redraw the screen'}.
>                 { $z.   self.                                                           #undoOrRedoCommand.                                     'Undo or redo the last undoable command'}.
>                 { $F.   Project current.                                        #toggleFlapsSuppressed.                                 'Toggle the display of flaps'}.
>                 { $N.   self.                                                           #toggleClassicNavigatorIfAppropriate.   'Show/Hide the classic Navigator, if appropriate'}.
>                 { $M.   self.                                                           #toggleShowWorldMainDockingBar.         'Show/Hide the Main Docking Bar'}.
>                 { $].   Smalltalk.                                                      #saveSession.                                                           'Save the image.'}.
>         }.
>
>         Preferences noviceMode
>                         ifTrue:[^ noviceKeys].
>
>         expertKeys := {
>                 { $b.   SystemBrowser.                                  #defaultOpenBrowser.                                            'Open a new System Browser'}.
>                 { $k.   StringHolder.                                   #open.                                                                          'Open a new, blank Workspace'}.
>                 { $m.   self.                                                           #putUpNewMorphMenu.                                     'Put up the "New Morph" menu'}.
>                 { $O.   self.                                                           #findAMonticelloBrowser.                                        'Bring a Monticello window into focus.'}.
>                 { $t.   self.                                                           #findATranscript:.                                                      'Make a System Transcript visible'}.
>                 { $w.   SystemWindow.                                   #closeTopWindow.                                                        'Close the topmost window'}.
>                 { Character escape.     SystemWindow.   #closeTopWindow.                                                        'Close the topmost window'}.
>
>                 { $C.   self.                                                           #findAChangeSorter:.                                            'Make a Change Sorter visible'}.
>
>                 { $L.   self.                                                           #findAFileList:.                                                                'Make a File List visible'}.
>                 { $P.   self.                                                           #findAPreferencesPanel:.                                        'Activate the Preferences tool'}.
>                 { $R.   Utilities.                                                              #browseRecentSubmissions.               'Make a Recent Submissions browser visible'}.
>
>                 { $W.   self.                                                           #findAMessageNamesWindow:.                      'Make a MessageNames tool visible'}.
>                 { $Z.   ChangeList.                                             #browseRecentLog.                                                       'Browse recently-logged changes'}.
>
>                 { $\.   SystemWindow.                                   #sendTopWindowToBack.                                   'Send the top window to the back'}.
>                 { $_.   Smalltalk.                                                      #quitPrimitive.                                                         'Quit the image immediately.'}.
> +
> +               { $-.   Preferences.                                    #decreaseFontSize.                                      'Increase all font sizes'}.
> +               { $+.   Preferences.                                    #increaseFontSize.                                      'Decrease all font sizes'}.
>         }.
>
>         ^ noviceKeys, expertKeys
>   !
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tobias Pape

> On 02.07.2018, at 01:54, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tobias,
>
> All I did was restore the original shortcut keys that had been in
> Squeak since its earliest days.  I suppose I'm curious why you didn't
> pose this question to the one who killed underline and strikeout
> formatting but, for whatever reason, you seem to only "object" to MY
> improvements.  But whatever, instead of questioning my friendliness,
> how about talking about what's good for Squeak and the IDE?
>
> Hot keys are for functions that are used *frequently*.  In a web
> browser, zoom-in and out makes sense when every web page uses
> different font sizes.  That's not the case for Squeak.  Setting
> themes, colors, preferences and fonts is all part of initial
> _configuration_, something typically done only once in the lifespan of
> an image.  Most wares mature enough to worry about font sizes have
> since developed their own configuration script which sets everything.
> Nevertheless, it's now on the World menu, which can be activated by
> mouse OR keyboard.
>
> This provides desktop keys for the font size but do you really think
> this is useful?   I can't think of any case where I'd want to be
> frequently flipping back and forth between global font sizes once
> they're set up.  We should spare hot keys for future USEFUL things, so
> I vote we do NOT move it to trunk.

Well I frequently change between laptop screen, 24" monitor and projectors of different resolutions.
Changing font sizes is much more frequent for me than that text change. I see how that can be useful sometimes but I so not see how this is so universally useful. IMHO, something like Emacs M-x in the vein of "apply this string method to the selection" would be more versatile and at the same time cater for thing that are useful but relatively infrequent.

Best regards
        -Tobias

>
> Best,
>  Chris
>
>
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Do I parse that correctly that you just killed font size handling via shortcuts and introduced a new one?
>>
>> While this could all be justified, wouldn't it be friendlier to first talk about that?
>> Eg, via inbox or so?
>>
>> Best regards
>>        -Tobias
>
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:35 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.826.mcz
>>
>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>
>> Name: Tools-cmm.826
>> Author: cmm
>> Time: 1 July 2018, 6:35:14.376257 pm
>> UUID: e7b1e100-7da9-48e8-b544-7a5035c0693e
>> Ancestors: Tools-cmm.825
>>
>> Command++ and Command+- hot keys for increasing/decreasing the sizes of all fonts.
>>
>> =============== Diff against Tools-cmm.825 ===============
>>
>> Item was changed:
>>  ----- Method: PasteUpMorph>>defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets (in category '*Tools') -----
>>  defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets
>>        "Answer a list of triplets of the form
>>                <key> <receiver> <selector>   [+ optional fourth element, a <description> for use in desktop-command-key-help]
>>  that will provide the default desktop command key handlers.  If the selector takes an argument, that argument will be the command-key event"
>>
>>        | noviceKeys expertKeys |
>>
>>        noviceKeys := {
>>                { $o.   ActiveWorld.                                            #activateObjectsTool.                                           'Activate the "Objects Tool"'}.
>>                { $r.   ActiveWorld.                                            #restoreMorphicDisplay.                                 'Redraw the screen'}.
>>                { $z.   self.                                                           #undoOrRedoCommand.                                     'Undo or redo the last undoable command'}.
>>                { $F.   Project current.                                        #toggleFlapsSuppressed.                                 'Toggle the display of flaps'}.
>>                { $N.   self.                                                           #toggleClassicNavigatorIfAppropriate.   'Show/Hide the classic Navigator, if appropriate'}.
>>                { $M.   self.                                                           #toggleShowWorldMainDockingBar.         'Show/Hide the Main Docking Bar'}.
>>                { $].   Smalltalk.                                                      #saveSession.                                                           'Save the image.'}.
>>        }.
>>
>>        Preferences noviceMode
>>                        ifTrue:[^ noviceKeys].
>>
>>        expertKeys := {
>>                { $b.   SystemBrowser.                                  #defaultOpenBrowser.                                            'Open a new System Browser'}.
>>                { $k.   StringHolder.                                   #open.                                                                          'Open a new, blank Workspace'}.
>>                { $m.   self.                                                           #putUpNewMorphMenu.                                     'Put up the "New Morph" menu'}.
>>                { $O.   self.                                                           #findAMonticelloBrowser.                                        'Bring a Monticello window into focus.'}.
>>                { $t.   self.                                                           #findATranscript:.                                                      'Make a System Transcript visible'}.
>>                { $w.   SystemWindow.                                   #closeTopWindow.                                                        'Close the topmost window'}.
>>                { Character escape.     SystemWindow.   #closeTopWindow.                                                        'Close the topmost window'}.
>>
>>                { $C.   self.                                                           #findAChangeSorter:.                                            'Make a Change Sorter visible'}.
>>
>>                { $L.   self.                                                           #findAFileList:.                                                                'Make a File List visible'}.
>>                { $P.   self.                                                           #findAPreferencesPanel:.                                        'Activate the Preferences tool'}.
>>                { $R.   Utilities.                                                              #browseRecentSubmissions.               'Make a Recent Submissions browser visible'}.
>>
>>                { $W.   self.                                                           #findAMessageNamesWindow:.                      'Make a MessageNames tool visible'}.
>>                { $Z.   ChangeList.                                             #browseRecentLog.                                                       'Browse recently-logged changes'}.
>>
>>                { $\.   SystemWindow.                                   #sendTopWindowToBack.                                   'Send the top window to the back'}.
>>                { $_.   Smalltalk.                                                      #quitPrimitive.                                                         'Quit the image immediately.'}.
>> +
>> +               { $-.   Preferences.                                    #decreaseFontSize.                                      'Increase all font sizes'}.
>> +               { $+.   Preferences.                                    #increaseFontSize.                                      'Decrease all font sizes'}.
>>        }.
>>
>>        ^ noviceKeys, expertKeys
>>  !
>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Hannes Hirzel
On 7/2/18, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>> On 02.07.2018, at 01:54, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tobias,
>>
>> All I did was restore the original shortcut keys that had been in
>> Squeak since its earliest days.  I suppose I'm curious why you didn't
>> pose this question to the one who killed underline and strikeout
>> formatting but, for whatever reason, you seem to only "object" to MY
>> improvements.  But whatever, instead of questioning my friendliness,
>> how about talking about what's good for Squeak and the IDE?
>>
>> Hot keys are for functions that are used *frequently*.  In a web
>> browser, zoom-in and out makes sense when every web page uses
>> different font sizes.  That's not the case for Squeak.  Setting
>> themes, colors, preferences and fonts is all part of initial
>> _configuration_, something typically done only once in the lifespan of
>> an image.  Most wares mature enough to worry about font sizes have
>> since developed their own configuration script which sets everything.
>> Nevertheless, it's now on the World menu, which can be activated by
>> mouse OR keyboard.
>>
>> This provides desktop keys for the font size but do you really think
>> this is useful?   I can't think of any case where I'd want to be
>> frequently flipping back and forth between global font sizes once
>> they're set up.  We should spare hot keys for future USEFUL things, so
>> I vote we do NOT move it to trunk.
>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Well I frequently change between laptop screen, 24" monitor and projectors
> of different resolutions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a typical use case these days.

Question:
Could this use case be made more prominent? I mean visible to the user
that this function to switch between different resolutions is handled
well.

E.g. include in Theme or preferences, or Squeak menu? (top left)

> Changing font sizes is much more frequent for me than that text change. I
> see how that can be useful sometimes but I so not see how this is so
> universally useful. IMHO, something like Emacs M-x in the vein of "apply
> this string method to the selection" would be more versatile and at the same
> time cater for thing that are useful but relatively infrequent.
>
> Best regards
> -Tobias
>
>>
>> Best,
>>  Chris
>>
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Do I parse that correctly that you just killed font size handling via
>>> shortcuts and introduced a new one?
>>>
>>> While this could all be justified, wouldn't it be friendlier to first
>>> talk about that?
>>> Eg, via inbox or so?
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>        -Tobias
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:35 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.826.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Tools-cmm.826
>>> Author: cmm
>>> Time: 1 July 2018, 6:35:14.376257 pm
>>> UUID: e7b1e100-7da9-48e8-b544-7a5035c0693e
>>> Ancestors: Tools-cmm.825
>>>
>>> Command++ and Command+- hot keys for increasing/decreasing the sizes of
>>> all fonts.
>>>
>>> =============== Diff against Tools-cmm.825 ===============
>>>
>>> Item was changed:
>>>  ----- Method: PasteUpMorph>>defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets (in
>>> category '*Tools') -----
>>>  defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets
>>>        "Answer a list of triplets of the form
>>>                <key> <receiver> <selector>   [+ optional fourth element,
>>> a <description> for use in desktop-command-key-help]
>>>  that will provide the default desktop command key handlers.  If the
>>> selector takes an argument, that argument will be the command-key event"
>>>
>>>        | noviceKeys expertKeys |
>>>
>>>        noviceKeys := {
>>>                { $o.   ActiveWorld.
>>>      #activateObjectsTool.
>>> 'Activate the "Objects Tool"'}.
>>>                { $r.   ActiveWorld.
>>>      #restoreMorphicDisplay.                                 'Redraw the
>>> screen'}.
>>>                { $z.   self.
>>>              #undoOrRedoCommand.
>>> 'Undo or redo the last undoable command'}.
>>>                { $F.   Project current.
>>>      #toggleFlapsSuppressed.                                 'Toggle the
>>> display of flaps'}.
>>>                { $N.   self.
>>>              #toggleClassicNavigatorIfAppropriate.   'Show/Hide the
>>> classic Navigator, if appropriate'}.
>>>                { $M.   self.
>>>              #toggleShowWorldMainDockingBar.         'Show/Hide the Main
>>> Docking Bar'}.
>>>                { $].   Smalltalk.
>>>              #saveSession.
>>>            'Save the image.'}.
>>>        }.
>>>
>>>        Preferences noviceMode
>>>                        ifTrue:[^ noviceKeys].
>>>
>>>        expertKeys := {
>>>                { $b.   SystemBrowser.
>>> #defaultOpenBrowser.                                            'Open a
>>> new System Browser'}.
>>>                { $k.   StringHolder.
>>> #open.
>>>       'Open a new, blank Workspace'}.
>>>                { $m.   self.
>>>              #putUpNewMorphMenu.                                     'Put
>>> up the "New Morph" menu'}.
>>>                { $O.   self.
>>>              #findAMonticelloBrowser.
>>>    'Bring a Monticello window into focus.'}.
>>>                { $t.   self.
>>>              #findATranscript:.
>>>            'Make a System Transcript visible'}.
>>>                { $w.   SystemWindow.
>>> #closeTopWindow.
>>> 'Close the topmost window'}.
>>>                { Character escape.     SystemWindow.   #closeTopWindow.
>>>                                                      'Close the topmost
>>> window'}.
>>>
>>>                { $C.   self.
>>>              #findAChangeSorter:.
>>>    'Make a Change Sorter visible'}.
>>>
>>>                { $L.   self.
>>>              #findAFileList:.
>>>                    'Make a File List visible'}.
>>>                { $P.   self.
>>>              #findAPreferencesPanel:.
>>>    'Activate the Preferences tool'}.
>>>                { $R.   Utilities.
>>>                      #browseRecentSubmissions.               'Make a
>>> Recent Submissions browser visible'}.
>>>
>>>                { $W.   self.
>>>              #findAMessageNamesWindow:.                      'Make a
>>> MessageNames tool visible'}.
>>>                { $Z.   ChangeList.
>>>      #browseRecentLog.
>>>    'Browse recently-logged changes'}.
>>>
>>>                { $\.   SystemWindow.
>>> #sendTopWindowToBack.                                   'Send the top
>>> window to the back'}.
>>>                { $_.   Smalltalk.
>>>              #quitPrimitive.
>>>            'Quit the image immediately.'}.
>>> +
>>> +               { $-.   Preferences.
>>> #decreaseFontSize.                                      'Increase all
>>> font sizes'}.
>>> +               { $+.   Preferences.
>>> #increaseFontSize.                                      'Decrease all
>>> font sizes'}.
>>>        }.
>>>
>>>        ^ noviceKeys, expertKeys
>>>  !
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tobias Pape

> On 02.07.2018, at 09:21, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 7/2/18, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 02.07.2018, at 01:54, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Tobias,
>>>
>>> All I did was restore the original shortcut keys that had been in
>>> Squeak since its earliest days.  I suppose I'm curious why you didn't
>>> pose this question to the one who killed underline and strikeout
>>> formatting but, for whatever reason, you seem to only "object" to MY
>>> improvements.  But whatever, instead of questioning my friendliness,
>>> how about talking about what's good for Squeak and the IDE?
>>>
>>> Hot keys are for functions that are used *frequently*.  In a web
>>> browser, zoom-in and out makes sense when every web page uses
>>> different font sizes.  That's not the case for Squeak.  Setting
>>> themes, colors, preferences and fonts is all part of initial
>>> _configuration_, something typically done only once in the lifespan of
>>> an image.  Most wares mature enough to worry about font sizes have
>>> since developed their own configuration script which sets everything.
>>> Nevertheless, it's now on the World menu, which can be activated by
>>> mouse OR keyboard.
>>>
>>> This provides desktop keys for the font size but do you really think
>>> this is useful?   I can't think of any case where I'd want to be
>>> frequently flipping back and forth between global font sizes once
>>> they're set up.  We should spare hot keys for future USEFUL things, so
>>> I vote we do NOT move it to trunk.
>>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Well I frequently change between laptop screen, 24" monitor and projectors
>> of different resolutions.
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> This is a typical use case these days.
>
> Question:
> Could this use case be made more prominent? I mean visible to the user
> that this function to switch between different resolutions is handled
> well.
>
> E.g. include in Theme or preferences, or Squeak menu? (top left)

There's a Demo theme thing that copies your current theme and scales up the fonts.
Also there's some dpi/auto-scaling code for the vm and the image but I have no time finishing that…

best regards
        -Tobias

>
>> Changing font sizes is much more frequent for me than that text change. I
>> see how that can be useful sometimes but I so not see how this is so
>> universally useful. IMHO, something like Emacs M-x in the vein of "apply
>> this string method to the selection" would be more versatile and at the same
>> time cater for thing that are useful but relatively infrequent.
>>
>> Best regards
>> -Tobias
>>
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Chris
>>>
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Do I parse that correctly that you just killed font size handling via
>>>> shortcuts and introduced a new one?
>>>>
>>>> While this could all be justified, wouldn't it be friendlier to first
>>>> talk about that?
>>>> Eg, via inbox or so?
>>>>
>>>> Best regards
>>>>       -Tobias
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:35 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
>>>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.826.mcz
>>>>
>>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>>
>>>> Name: Tools-cmm.826
>>>> Author: cmm
>>>> Time: 1 July 2018, 6:35:14.376257 pm
>>>> UUID: e7b1e100-7da9-48e8-b544-7a5035c0693e
>>>> Ancestors: Tools-cmm.825
>>>>
>>>> Command++ and Command+- hot keys for increasing/decreasing the sizes of
>>>> all fonts.
>>>>
>>>> =============== Diff against Tools-cmm.825 ===============
>>>>
>>>> Item was changed:
>>>> ----- Method: PasteUpMorph>>defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets (in
>>>> category '*Tools') -----
>>>> defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets
>>>>       "Answer a list of triplets of the form
>>>>               <key> <receiver> <selector>   [+ optional fourth element,
>>>> a <description> for use in desktop-command-key-help]
>>>> that will provide the default desktop command key handlers.  If the
>>>> selector takes an argument, that argument will be the command-key event"
>>>>
>>>>       | noviceKeys expertKeys |
>>>>
>>>>       noviceKeys := {
>>>>               { $o.   ActiveWorld.
>>>>     #activateObjectsTool.
>>>> 'Activate the "Objects Tool"'}.
>>>>               { $r.   ActiveWorld.
>>>>     #restoreMorphicDisplay.                                 'Redraw the
>>>> screen'}.
>>>>               { $z.   self.
>>>>             #undoOrRedoCommand.
>>>> 'Undo or redo the last undoable command'}.
>>>>               { $F.   Project current.
>>>>     #toggleFlapsSuppressed.                                 'Toggle the
>>>> display of flaps'}.
>>>>               { $N.   self.
>>>>             #toggleClassicNavigatorIfAppropriate.   'Show/Hide the
>>>> classic Navigator, if appropriate'}.
>>>>               { $M.   self.
>>>>             #toggleShowWorldMainDockingBar.         'Show/Hide the Main
>>>> Docking Bar'}.
>>>>               { $].   Smalltalk.
>>>>             #saveSession.
>>>>           'Save the image.'}.
>>>>       }.
>>>>
>>>>       Preferences noviceMode
>>>>                       ifTrue:[^ noviceKeys].
>>>>
>>>>       expertKeys := {
>>>>               { $b.   SystemBrowser.
>>>> #defaultOpenBrowser.                                            'Open a
>>>> new System Browser'}.
>>>>               { $k.   StringHolder.
>>>> #open.
>>>>      'Open a new, blank Workspace'}.
>>>>               { $m.   self.
>>>>             #putUpNewMorphMenu.                                     'Put
>>>> up the "New Morph" menu'}.
>>>>               { $O.   self.
>>>>             #findAMonticelloBrowser.
>>>>   'Bring a Monticello window into focus.'}.
>>>>               { $t.   self.
>>>>             #findATranscript:.
>>>>           'Make a System Transcript visible'}.
>>>>               { $w.   SystemWindow.
>>>> #closeTopWindow.
>>>> 'Close the topmost window'}.
>>>>               { Character escape.     SystemWindow.   #closeTopWindow.
>>>>                                                     'Close the topmost
>>>> window'}.
>>>>
>>>>               { $C.   self.
>>>>             #findAChangeSorter:.
>>>>   'Make a Change Sorter visible'}.
>>>>
>>>>               { $L.   self.
>>>>             #findAFileList:.
>>>>                   'Make a File List visible'}.
>>>>               { $P.   self.
>>>>             #findAPreferencesPanel:.
>>>>   'Activate the Preferences tool'}.
>>>>               { $R.   Utilities.
>>>>                     #browseRecentSubmissions.               'Make a
>>>> Recent Submissions browser visible'}.
>>>>
>>>>               { $W.   self.
>>>>             #findAMessageNamesWindow:.                      'Make a
>>>> MessageNames tool visible'}.
>>>>               { $Z.   ChangeList.
>>>>     #browseRecentLog.
>>>>   'Browse recently-logged changes'}.
>>>>
>>>>               { $\.   SystemWindow.
>>>> #sendTopWindowToBack.                                   'Send the top
>>>> window to the back'}.
>>>>               { $_.   Smalltalk.
>>>>             #quitPrimitive.
>>>>           'Quit the image immediately.'}.
>>>> +
>>>> +               { $-.   Preferences.
>>>> #decreaseFontSize.                                      'Increase all
>>>> font sizes'}.
>>>> +               { $+.   Preferences.
>>>> #increaseFontSize.                                      'Decrease all
>>>> font sizes'}.
>>>>       }.
>>>>
>>>>       ^ noviceKeys, expertKeys
>>>> !

Reply | Threaded
|

Edgar De Cleene
In reply to this post by Chris Muller-3
Once and forever.
Actual Squeak have a nice setup and don't should loose by accident.

On 01/07/2018, 20:54, "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Setting
themes, colors, preferences and fonts is all part of
> initial
_configuration_, something typically done only once in the lifespan
> of
an image.  Most wares mature enough to worry about font sizes have
since
> developed their own configuration script which sets everything.
Nevertheless,
> it's now on the World menu, which can be activated by
mouse OR keyboard.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hannes Hirzel
It is a matter of competing requirements. For a resource which is limited.

So both options should be possible.....

On 7/2/18, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Once and forever.
> Actual Squeak have a nice setup and don't should loose by accident.
>
>
> On 01/07/2018, 20:54, "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Setting
> themes, colors, preferences and fonts is all part of
>> initial
> _configuration_, something typically done only once in the lifespan
>> of
> an image.  Most wares mature enough to worry about font sizes have
> since
>> developed their own configuration script which sets everything.
> Nevertheless,
>> it's now on the World menu, which can be activated by
> mouse OR keyboard.
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3
In reply to this post by Hannes Hirzel
Okay, moving a single image between lots of different sized monitors
frequently is something I hadn't considered.  I'll move this to trunk
later today after I get home.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 2:21 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/2/18, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 02.07.2018, at 01:54, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Tobias,
>>>
>>> All I did was restore the original shortcut keys that had been in
>>> Squeak since its earliest days.  I suppose I'm curious why you didn't
>>> pose this question to the one who killed underline and strikeout
>>> formatting but, for whatever reason, you seem to only "object" to MY
>>> improvements.  But whatever, instead of questioning my friendliness,
>>> how about talking about what's good for Squeak and the IDE?
>>>
>>> Hot keys are for functions that are used *frequently*.  In a web
>>> browser, zoom-in and out makes sense when every web page uses
>>> different font sizes.  That's not the case for Squeak.  Setting
>>> themes, colors, preferences and fonts is all part of initial
>>> _configuration_, something typically done only once in the lifespan of
>>> an image.  Most wares mature enough to worry about font sizes have
>>> since developed their own configuration script which sets everything.
>>> Nevertheless, it's now on the World menu, which can be activated by
>>> mouse OR keyboard.
>>>
>>> This provides desktop keys for the font size but do you really think
>>> this is useful?   I can't think of any case where I'd want to be
>>> frequently flipping back and forth between global font sizes once
>>> they're set up.  We should spare hot keys for future USEFUL things, so
>>> I vote we do NOT move it to trunk.
>>
>
>> Well I frequently change between laptop screen, 24" monitor and projectors
>> of different resolutions.
>
>
> This is a typical use case these days.
>
> Question:
> Could this use case be made more prominent? I mean visible to the user
> that this function to switch between different resolutions is handled
> well.
>
> E.g. include in Theme or preferences, or Squeak menu? (top left)
>
>> Changing font sizes is much more frequent for me than that text change. I
>> see how that can be useful sometimes but I so not see how this is so
>> universally useful. IMHO, something like Emacs M-x in the vein of "apply
>> this string method to the selection" would be more versatile and at the same
>> time cater for thing that are useful but relatively infrequent.
>>
>> Best regards
>>       -Tobias
>>
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>  Chris
>>>
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Do I parse that correctly that you just killed font size handling via
>>>> shortcuts and introduced a new one?
>>>>
>>>> While this could all be justified, wouldn't it be friendlier to first
>>>> talk about that?
>>>> Eg, via inbox or so?
>>>>
>>>> Best regards
>>>>        -Tobias
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:35 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
>>>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.826.mcz
>>>>
>>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>>
>>>> Name: Tools-cmm.826
>>>> Author: cmm
>>>> Time: 1 July 2018, 6:35:14.376257 pm
>>>> UUID: e7b1e100-7da9-48e8-b544-7a5035c0693e
>>>> Ancestors: Tools-cmm.825
>>>>
>>>> Command++ and Command+- hot keys for increasing/decreasing the sizes of
>>>> all fonts.
>>>>
>>>> =============== Diff against Tools-cmm.825 ===============
>>>>
>>>> Item was changed:
>>>>  ----- Method: PasteUpMorph>>defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets (in
>>>> category '*Tools') -----
>>>>  defaultDesktopCommandKeyTriplets
>>>>        "Answer a list of triplets of the form
>>>>                <key> <receiver> <selector>   [+ optional fourth element,
>>>> a <description> for use in desktop-command-key-help]
>>>>  that will provide the default desktop command key handlers.  If the
>>>> selector takes an argument, that argument will be the command-key event"
>>>>
>>>>        | noviceKeys expertKeys |
>>>>
>>>>        noviceKeys := {
>>>>                { $o.   ActiveWorld.
>>>>      #activateObjectsTool.
>>>> 'Activate the "Objects Tool"'}.
>>>>                { $r.   ActiveWorld.
>>>>      #restoreMorphicDisplay.                                 'Redraw the
>>>> screen'}.
>>>>                { $z.   self.
>>>>              #undoOrRedoCommand.
>>>> 'Undo or redo the last undoable command'}.
>>>>                { $F.   Project current.
>>>>      #toggleFlapsSuppressed.                                 'Toggle the
>>>> display of flaps'}.
>>>>                { $N.   self.
>>>>              #toggleClassicNavigatorIfAppropriate.   'Show/Hide the
>>>> classic Navigator, if appropriate'}.
>>>>                { $M.   self.
>>>>              #toggleShowWorldMainDockingBar.         'Show/Hide the Main
>>>> Docking Bar'}.
>>>>                { $].   Smalltalk.
>>>>              #saveSession.
>>>>            'Save the image.'}.
>>>>        }.
>>>>
>>>>        Preferences noviceMode
>>>>                        ifTrue:[^ noviceKeys].
>>>>
>>>>        expertKeys := {
>>>>                { $b.   SystemBrowser.
>>>> #defaultOpenBrowser.                                            'Open a
>>>> new System Browser'}.
>>>>                { $k.   StringHolder.
>>>> #open.
>>>>       'Open a new, blank Workspace'}.
>>>>                { $m.   self.
>>>>              #putUpNewMorphMenu.                                     'Put
>>>> up the "New Morph" menu'}.
>>>>                { $O.   self.
>>>>              #findAMonticelloBrowser.
>>>>    'Bring a Monticello window into focus.'}.
>>>>                { $t.   self.
>>>>              #findATranscript:.
>>>>            'Make a System Transcript visible'}.
>>>>                { $w.   SystemWindow.
>>>> #closeTopWindow.
>>>> 'Close the topmost window'}.
>>>>                { Character escape.     SystemWindow.   #closeTopWindow.
>>>>                                                      'Close the topmost
>>>> window'}.
>>>>
>>>>                { $C.   self.
>>>>              #findAChangeSorter:.
>>>>    'Make a Change Sorter visible'}.
>>>>
>>>>                { $L.   self.
>>>>              #findAFileList:.
>>>>                    'Make a File List visible'}.
>>>>                { $P.   self.
>>>>              #findAPreferencesPanel:.
>>>>    'Activate the Preferences tool'}.
>>>>                { $R.   Utilities.
>>>>                      #browseRecentSubmissions.               'Make a
>>>> Recent Submissions browser visible'}.
>>>>
>>>>                { $W.   self.
>>>>              #findAMessageNamesWindow:.                      'Make a
>>>> MessageNames tool visible'}.
>>>>                { $Z.   ChangeList.
>>>>      #browseRecentLog.
>>>>    'Browse recently-logged changes'}.
>>>>
>>>>                { $\.   SystemWindow.
>>>> #sendTopWindowToBack.                                   'Send the top
>>>> window to the back'}.
>>>>                { $_.   Smalltalk.
>>>>              #quitPrimitive.
>>>>            'Quit the image immediately.'}.
>>>> +
>>>> +               { $-.   Preferences.
>>>> #decreaseFontSize.                                      'Increase all
>>>> font sizes'}.
>>>> +               { $+.   Preferences.
>>>> #increaseFontSize.                                      'Decrease all
>>>> font sizes'}.
>>>>        }.
>>>>
>>>>        ^ noviceKeys, expertKeys
>>>>  !
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>