The Inbox: TraitsTests-pre.19.mcz

12

Re: What are the current use cases for traits? (was: The Inbox: TraitsTests-pre.19.mcz)

Jakob Reschke

Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa., 4. Mai 2019, 11:12:
On Sat, 4 May 2019, Jakob Reschke wrote:

> I have another one:
> For several test cases I have to suppress the display of progress (otherwise the tests would run much slower). To do that, I override performTest to catch the relevant exceptions/notifications and mute them. I need that in
> multiple test case classes, but I do not want to provide the progress suppressing with an abstract test superclass. So I created a trait that contains this performTest override. Test cases that need the progress muted can mix
> that in by using the trait.

IIRC during tests, the progress bar is intentionally redrawn on each
change to ensure that when the image freezes, you know which test is
causing the problem.
If there were a method returning the number of milliseconds between
updates (which is currently 0 in TestRunner >> #basicRunSuite:do:) or
just a method returning whether it's okay not to redraw the progress bar
on each update, then test cases where too frequent redraws cause problems
could just override that method.

Clarification: the code under test produces progress bars and messages and these shall be muted. It also reduces the time spent on Travis CI. Thanks for the hint though!

12