The Pi Podcast #4 – Tim Rowledge (Scratch) |

The Pi Podcast #4 – Tim Rowledge (Scratch) |

timrowledge

Re: The Pi Podcast #4 – Tim Rowledge (Scratch) |

Karl Ramberg
Cool

Karl

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 6:57 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
A bit of getting the word out -

> http://thepipodcast.com/the-pi-podcast-4-tim-rowledge-scratch/ <http://thepipodcast.com/the-pi-podcast-4-tim-rowledge-scratch/>

tim
Strange OpCodes: AII: Add Insult to Injury

Re: The Pi Podcast #4 – Tim Rowledge (Scratch) |

David T. Lewis
Cool indeed. And I liked the idea of coming up with an "Itch Framework".

Dave

> Cool
>
> Karl
>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 6:57 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> A bit of getting the word out -
>>
>> > http://thepipodcast.com/the-pi-podcast-4-tim-rowledge-scratch/ <
>> http://thepipodcast.com/the-pi-podcast-4-tim-rowledge-scratch/>
>>

>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Strange OpCodes: AII: Add Insult to Injury

Re: The Pi Podcast #4 – Tim Rowledge (Scratch) |

timrowledge

> On 02-10-2015, at 1:55 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Cool indeed. And I liked the idea of coming up with an "Itch Framework”.

Me too; maybe that’s a good name for the device driver framework behind the Scratch gpio server...

tim
If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong

On Fri, Oct 02, 2015 at 04:23:11PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 02-10-2015, at 1:55 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Cool indeed. And I liked the idea of coming up with an "Itch Framework?.
>
> Me too; maybe that?s a good name for the device driver framework behind the Scratch gpio server...

I should think that the "itch framework" concept was envisioned as
a more grandiose concept. Surely it was meant to have positive
connotations, such that "scratching an itch" would lead to constructive
and happy outcomes.

A device driver framework on the other hand seems much more specific,
and certainly more likely to lead to annoyance and irritation rather
than happiness. For naming that, you might better draw inspiration from
one of the more specific categories of itchiness as enumerated here:

  http://www.healthline.com/health/itching

Dave

Re: The Pi Podcast #4 – Tim Rowledge (Scratch) |

Ben Coman
Interesting that the prelude chat indicates that with Debian Jessie
Raspbian, GPIO can be used without root privilege.  Search turns up
some info only for Python.  I presume this helps GPIO from Squeak
also?
cheers -ben

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 12:57 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A bit of getting the word out -
>
>> http://thepipodcast.com/the-pi-podcast-4-tim-rowledge-scratch/ <http://thepipodcast.com/the-pi-podcast-4-tim-rowledge-scratch/>
>

> tim
> Strange OpCodes: AII: Add Insult to Injury

Re: The Pi Podcast #4 – Tim Rowledge (Scratch) |

timrowledge

> On 03-10-2015, at 7:00 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting that the prelude chat indicates that with Debian Jessie
> Raspbian, GPIO can be used without root privilege.  Search turns up
> some info only for Python.  I presume this helps GPIO from Squeak
> also?

We don’t know yet since that facility was only put in at the very last minute and I heard nothing about it until the release notes. Right now it looks like it might not be useful, but we’ll see how it develops.

tim
Strange OpCodes: IPL: Invent Program Lines