The Squeak Collection of Outstanding Remarkable Values

The Squeak Collection of Outstanding Remarkable Values

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi folks,

I think that I'm going to build the Squeak Collection of Outstanding
Remarkable Values. Therefore I have to tap the collective memory of the
Squeakers (->YOU!)

Take the following true positive examples which I hope do illustrate what
I want to collect (further down below it has some false positive examples
that I don't want to collect, just let them coexist please).

Of course as soon as some momentum is gathered there be a web page which
all the google users can make their start page.

Do you happen to know a knowledgeable factum? If so, please post. Was such
a collection already set up? If so, please post. Even if you have just
some meager keywords: I want to know them, please post. I will do all the
hard research work and find out the background and the related (if google
permits).

Thank you in advance, please post even your craziest idea!

/Klaus

+++++++examples+++++++

All platforms same image; unmatched interoperability.
- http://www.squeak.org/Download

Double dispatching; invented by the Smalltalk inventors.
- http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=28732

Continuations; out of reach for majority of Smalltalk's competitors.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation

Seaside; nothing without continuations.
- http://www.u3engage.org/public/thesis/ContinuationsModel.php
- http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-cb03216/

-------examples-------

Smalltalk is better than Java.

Everything is possible with Smalltalk.

Squeak is an ...
- http://www.squeak.org/About/

Smalltalk, the language, is:
- http://www.squeak.org/Features/

Re: The Squeak Collection of Outstanding Remarkable Values

Mikael Kindborg-2
Hi.

Here are some properties of Smalltalk/Squeak I like a lot:

"Duck typing" (dynamic typing)
Late binding (runtime modification)
Image-based environment
Navigation & browsing tools (like senders/implementers)
Access to complete source for the system
Children's stuff (eToys and various playful objects) are part of the
distribution
Flexible "windowing system" (Morphic/Tweak)

Squeak is like a spreadsheet in the respect that a change instantly
affects the system (this dynamic aspect is one of the things that made
spreadsheets popular, you can experiment with your data, it is not a
static calculation). Very few systems have this today, even Lisp
systems seem to have lost this aspect, Python/Ruby could have it, but
no tools seem to take advantage of it.

Best, Micke

On 10/26/06, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I think that I'm going to build the Squeak Collection of Outstanding
> Remarkable Values. Therefore I have to tap the collective memory of the
> Squeakers (->YOU!)
>
> Take the following true positive examples which I hope do illustrate what
> I want to collect (further down below it has some false positive examples
> that I don't want to collect, just let them coexist please).
>
> Of course as soon as some momentum is gathered there be a web page which
> all the google users can make their start page.
>
> Do you happen to know a knowledgeable factum? If so, please post. Was such
> a collection already set up? If so, please post. Even if you have just
> some meager keywords: I want to know them, please post. I will do all the
> hard research work and find out the background and the related (if google
> permits).
>
> Thank you in advance, please post even your craziest idea!
>
> /Klaus
>
> +++++++examples+++++++
>
> All platforms same image; unmatched interoperability.
> - http://www.squeak.org/Download
>
> Double dispatching; invented by the Smalltalk inventors.
> - http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=28732
>
> Continuations; out of reach for majority of Smalltalk's competitors.
> - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation
>
> Seaside; nothing without continuations.
> - http://www.u3engage.org/public/thesis/ContinuationsModel.php
> - http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-cb03216/
>
> -------examples-------
>
> Smalltalk is better than Java.
>
> Everything is possible with Smalltalk.
>
> Squeak is an ...
> - http://www.squeak.org/About/
>
> Smalltalk, the language, is:
> - http://www.squeak.org/Features/

Factlet #1 for the Squeak Collection of Outstanding Remarkable Values

Klaus D. Witzel
Factlet title: Smalltalk like a spreadsheet; experiment with your code and
data.

Contributed by: Mikael "Micke" Kindborg at:

-
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-October/110688.html

To do: research background and related material.

++++++PLEASE++++++

Everybody please review this factlet. Is the title compelling? Are the
references authoritative? Is the related material up to date? Any other
business?

Re: Factlet #1 for the Squeak Collection of Outstanding Remarkable Values

Edgar J. De Cleene
Klaus D. Witzel puso en su mail :

> Everybody please review this factlet. Is the title compelling? Are the
> references authoritative? Is the related material up to date? Any other
> business?

Always nice is I could read the reference material .
The ACM site ask membership.

Thanks for collect the references !

Edgar

Correo Yahoo!

Paper "A simple technique for handling multiple polymorphism" [was: Factlets for the Squeak Collection of Outstanding Remarkable Values]

Klaus D. Witzel
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:36:29 +0200, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> Klaus D. Witzel puso en su mail :
>
>> Everybody please review this factlet. Is the title compelling? Are the
>> references authoritative? Is the related material up to date? Any other
>> business?
>
> Always nice is I could read the reference material .
> The ACM site ask membership.

Dan, would it be possible to add your paper here

- http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/submitDocument.html

Thank you (I don't touch submitDocument b/o possible copyright issue).

/Klaus

> Thanks for collect the references !
>
> Edgar

2nd call: The Squeak Collection of Outstanding Remarkable Values

Klaus D. Witzel
This is what we've got so far:

-
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-October/110688.html

Please help adding to this collection, thank you.

[...]

Re: 2nd call: The Squeak Collection of Outstanding Remarkable Values

Michael Haupt-3
Hi,

On 11/3/06, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please help adding to this collection, thank you.

Squeak's got a bootstrapped VM. I consider it a bonus, advantages of
implementing VMs in C/C++ notwithstanding.

Best,

Michael