The Trunk: Collections-tpr.537.mcz

commits-2
tim Rowledge uploaded a new version of Collections to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Collections-tpr.537.mcz

Name: Collections-tpr.537
Author: tpr
Time: 30 September 2013, 4:06:41.402 pm
UUID: b3a96179-9642-40b1-93f3-3f1d82f3e256
Ancestors: Collections-fbs.536

Add Character class>>characterForColumnBreak - to replace TextComposer equivalent. See Mantis 4814

=============== Diff against Collections-fbs.536 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Character class>>characterForColumnBreak (in category 'accessing untypeable characters') -----
+ characterForColumnBreak
+ "use a newPage to split columns in character scanners"
+ ^self newPage!

Re: The Trunk: Collections-tpr.537.mcz

Nicolas Cellier
Note that I've posted an update-nice.252.mcm so that this change be the first loaded.

2013/10/1 <[hidden email]>
tim Rowledge uploaded a new version of Collections to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Collections-tpr.537.mcz

Name: Collections-tpr.537

Re: The Trunk: Collections-tpr.537.mcz

timrowledge

On 30-09-2013, at 5:28 PM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that I've posted an update-nice.252.mcm so that this change be the first loaded.

Thanks! Damned change-ordering issues. Grumble, grunt, whine.

tim
Useful random insult:- So dumb, he faxes face up.

Re: The Trunk: Collections-tpr.537.mcz

Levente Uzonyi-2
Does this method belong to Collections? Shouldn't it be an extension
method?

Levente

On 01-10-2013, at 8:59 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does this method belong to Collections? Shouldn't it be an extension method?

How is it not simply a Character constants method? I don't see how it is any different to Character cr, or Character space etc.

tim
To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 01-10-2013, at 8:59 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Does this method belong to Collections? Shouldn't it be an extension method?
>
> How is it not simply a Character constants method? I don't see how it is any different to Character cr, or Character space etc.

The comment suggests that it's intended to be used by character scanners:
"use a newPage to split columns in character scanners".

Its users are in Graphics and MorphicExtras.

Why would any character need two Character constants method?

If it's just a Character constants method, then why not use #newPage
instead?

Levente

> tim
> To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

Re: The Trunk: Collections-tpr.537.mcz

Nicolas Cellier
Browsing changes from http://69.251.218.6:9116/diffs in CompositionScanner shows that it comes from 4015twoColumnGeeMail-raa.cs
So the intention is revealed :)
Is the fact that newPage is hijacked and re-interpreted as a columnBreak a current practice or is it a hack?
In one case, this can stay in Character, in the other it deserves a better packaging...