The Trunk: CollectionsTests-dtl.350.mcz

commits-2
David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of CollectionsTests to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/CollectionsTests-dtl.350.mcz

Name: CollectionsTests-dtl.350
Author: dtl
Time: 13 February 2021, 4:37:17.676276 pm
UUID: c4060470-23b9-4b11-a961-41baeb166af8
Ancestors: CollectionsTests-ul.348

Do not include new test from CollectionsTests-jar.349 because it documents existing behavior that may not necessarily be the expected behavior. Discussion at http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2021-February/213918.html

=============== Diff against CollectionsTests-ul.348 ===============

Re: The Trunk: CollectionsTests-dtl.350.mcz

Christoph Thiede
Hi Dave,

could there be something wrong with the ancestry of this version? The
notification email does not contain any visible diff and when updating my
image today, I got an MCEmptyDiffyVersion warning.

Best,
Christoph

-----
Carpe Squeak!

Carpe Squeak!

Re: The Trunk: CollectionsTests-dtl.350.mcz

Eliot Miranda-2

> On Mar 2, 2021, at 3:59 AM, Christoph Thiede <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> could there be something wrong with the ancestry of this version? The
> notification email does not contain any visible diff and when updating my
> image today, I got an MCEmptyDiffyVersion warning.

+1

> Best,
> Christoph
>

> -----
> Carpe Squeak!
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Dev-f45488.html

Re: The Trunk: CollectionsTests-dtl.350.mcz

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 09:08:29AM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> > On Mar 2, 2021, at 3:59 AM, Christoph Thiede <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > ???Hi Dave,
> >
> > could there be something wrong with the ancestry of this version? The
> > notification email does not contain any visible diff and when updating my
> > image today, I got an MCEmptyDiffyVersion warning.
>
> +1

Yes, it looks like I made a mistake here. My intention was to bypass
CollectionsTests-jar.349 entirely by letting CollectionsTests-ul.348
be the sole ancestor of CollectionsTests-dtl.350 with no changes between
348 and 350. This was the wrong thing to do because many people already
had 349 loaded in their image.

I do not think that I can fix the 350 version without causing additional
problems for the update stream. It should  not cause a problem for the
update stream in general, but for everyone who had already updated to
349, a manual update of CollectionTests is probably necessary.

I apologize for the error :-(

Dave

Re: The Trunk: CollectionsTests-dtl.350.mcz

Chris Muller-3
> > On Mar 2, 2021, at 3:59 AM, Christoph Thiede <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > ???Hi Dave,
> >
> > could there be something wrong with the ancestry of this version? The
> > notification email does not contain any visible diff and when updating my
> > image today, I got an MCEmptyDiffyVersion warning.

Dave's comment explicitly acknowledged the omission of 349.  I'm curious why you would assume something's wrong.  It's one of several Warnings, but it's not an Error.

Yes, it looks like I made a mistake here. My intention was to bypass
CollectionsTests-jar.349 entirely by letting CollectionsTests-ul.348
be the sole ancestor of CollectionsTests-dtl.350 with no changes between
348 and 350. This was the wrong thing to do because many people already
had 349 loaded in their image.

That doesn't make it wrong in the least.  You had good reason to exclude it from the ancestry.  I personally would've simply deleted 349 from the repository and not even made 350.  The coherence and correctness of the permanent ancestry far outweighs the temporary in-RAM state of a developers' image, which isn't confusing if one pays the ancestry the attention it deserves.

I do not think that I can fix the 350 version without causing additional
problems for the update stream. It should  not cause a problem for the
update stream in general, but for everyone who had already updated to
349, a manual update of CollectionTests is probably necessary.

I apologize for the error :-(

I put that Warning message in years ago for no more than debugging an issue at that time.  It should be removed.  Not only is there no need to apologize, but thanks for doing the right thing.

 - Chris