The Trunk: Kernel-fbs.697.mcz

commits-2
Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-fbs.697.mcz

Name: Kernel-fbs.697
Author: fbs
Time: 8 June 2012, 2:58:00.068 pm
UUID: bcec51c0-7e42-4f78-897b-73b99f088354
Ancestors: Kernel-nice.693

* The resolver instvar is initialised to an Array so #ifNotNil: is a no-op.
* #evaluateResolver: reimplemented #cull:; rather use BlockClosure's version - less duplication.

=============== Diff against Kernel-nice.693 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Promise>>evaluateResolver: (in category 'private') -----
  evaluateResolver: resolverBlock
+ resolverBlock cull: value.!
- resolverBlock numArgs = 0
- ifTrue: [resolverBlock value]
- ifFalse: [resolverBlock value: value].
- !

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Promise>>resolveWith: (in category 'resolving') -----
  resolveWith: arg
  "Resolve this promise"
  mutex critical: [
  isResolved ifTrue: [self error: 'Promise was already resolved'].
  value := arg.
  isResolved := true.
+ resolvers do: [:r | self evaluateResolver: r].
- resolvers ifNotNil: [resolvers do: [:r | self evaluateResolver: r]].
  ].!

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-fbs.697.mcz

Bert Freudenberg
On 2012-06-09, at 21:41, [hidden email] wrote:

> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-fbs.697.mcz

> Name: Kernel-fbs.697
> Author: fbs
> Time: 8 June 2012, 2:58:00.068 pm
> UUID: bcec51c0-7e42-4f78-897b-73b99f088354
> Ancestors: Kernel-nice.693
>
> * The resolver instvar is initialised to an Array so #ifNotNil: is a no-op.
> * #evaluateResolver: reimplemented #cull:; rather use BlockClosure's version - less duplication.

This, too, is based on an old version. Kernel-nice.694 and Kernel-nice.695 are not merged.

When you commit to trunk using Monticello, it should warn you about newer versions. Apparently you use a different method?

- Bert -

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-fbs.697.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
On 11 June 2012 18:27, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-06-09, at 21:41, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-fbs.697.mcz

>> Name: Kernel-fbs.697
>> Author: fbs
>> Time: 8 June 2012, 2:58:00.068 pm
>> UUID: bcec51c0-7e42-4f78-897b-73b99f088354
>> Ancestors: Kernel-nice.693
>>
>> * The resolver instvar is initialised to an Array so #ifNotNil: is a no-op.
>> * #evaluateResolver: reimplemented #cull:; rather use BlockClosure's version - less duplication.
>

> This, too, is based on an old version. Kernel-nice.694 and Kernel-nice.695 are not merged.
>
> When you commit to trunk using Monticello, it should warn you about newer versions. Apparently you use a different method?

Ah, I see now why "this, too". Er, I open my trunk (which I try to
keep as up to date as possible, but don't necessarily update
immediately prior to making my change - I'm usually offline at the
time), make my change, and when I have a network connection, copy the
snapshot to the inbox or trunk repository.

I haven't seen any warnings though!

frank

On 2012-06-11, at 21:26, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 11 June 2012 18:27, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2012-06-09, at 21:41, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-fbs.697.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Kernel-fbs.697
>>> Author: fbs
>>> Time: 8 June 2012, 2:58:00.068 pm
>>> UUID: bcec51c0-7e42-4f78-897b-73b99f088354
>>> Ancestors: Kernel-nice.693
>>>
>>> * The resolver instvar is initialised to an Array so #ifNotNil: is a no-op.
>>> * #evaluateResolver: reimplemented #cull:; rather use BlockClosure's version - less duplication.
>>

>> This, too, is based on an old version. Kernel-nice.694 and Kernel-nice.695 are not merged.
>>
>> When you commit to trunk using Monticello, it should warn you about newer versions. Apparently you use a different method?
>
> Ah, I see now why "this, too". Er, I open my trunk (which I try to
> keep as up to date as possible, but don't necessarily update
> immediately prior to making my change - I'm usually offline at the
> time), make my change, and when I have a network connection, copy the
> snapshot to the inbox or trunk repository.
>
> I haven't seen any warnings though!
>
> frank

When you commit something to trunk it should be based on the latest version in trunk. For the inbox it doesn't really matter.

What I do is develop, and when it's ready, I update (which merges the latest), and commit.

If you committed something that is not based on the latest, then you must merge the latest, and commit again.

- Bert -

On 11 June 2012 20:35, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-06-11, at 21:26, Frank Shearar wrote:

>>> This, too, is based on an old version. Kernel-nice.694 and Kernel-nice.695 are not merged.
>>>
>>> When you commit to trunk using Monticello, it should warn you about newer versions. Apparently you use a different method?
>>
>> Ah, I see now why "this, too". Er, I open my trunk (which I try to
>> keep as up to date as possible, but don't necessarily update
>> immediately prior to making my change - I'm usually offline at the
>> time), make my change, and when I have a network connection, copy the
>> snapshot to the inbox or trunk repository.
>>
>> I haven't seen any warnings though!
>>
>> frank
>

> When you commit something to trunk it should be based on the latest version in trunk. For the inbox it doesn't really matter.
>
> What I do is develop, and when it's ready, I update (which merges the latest), and commit.
>
> If you committed something that is not based on the latest, then you must merge the latest, and commit again.

Right. In short, my naive approach of committing snapshots doesn't
work. OK, so if I want to work in an offline manner, then either I:
* file out my changes in some manner until I'm online, update a clean
image, file in the changes and then commit, or
* save the mczs as before, update the (same) image, merge my mcz back
in, and push?

The first approach would result in the cleaner history, wouldn't it?

frank

> - Bert -

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-fbs.697.mcz

Nicolas Cellier
Or just invoke an update when you are inline...
update will merge.

Nicolas

On 2012-06-11, at 21:56, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 11 June 2012 20:35, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Ah, I see now why "this, too". Er, I open my trunk (which I try to
>>> keep as up to date as possible, but don't necessarily update
>>> immediately prior to making my change - I'm usually offline at the
>>> time), make my change, and when I have a network connection, copy the
>>> snapshot to the inbox or trunk repository.
>>>
>>> I haven't seen any warnings though!
>>>
>>> frank
>>

>> When you commit something to trunk it should be based on the latest version in trunk. For the inbox it doesn't really matter.
>>
>> What I do is develop, and when it's ready, I update (which merges the latest), and commit.
>>
>> If you committed something that is not based on the latest, then you must merge the latest, and commit again.
>
> Right. In short, my naive approach of committing snapshots doesn't
> work. OK, so if I want to work in an offline manner, then either I:
> * file out my changes in some manner until I'm online, update a clean
> image, file in the changes and then commit, or
> * save the mczs as before, update the (same) image, merge my mcz back
> in, and push?
>
> The first approach would result in the cleaner history, wouldn't it?
>
> frank

Merges are part of the MC model, so I wouldn't call them bad.

You could simply wait to commit until you're online. Before committing, you would update. That almost ensures your's will be current.

Or, you commit to your package cache while offline, and when online you load updates. If there is no newer version you just copy your version to trunk, but if it did the merge, you commit that one as a new package (but you should paste the commit message for simpler reference).

- Bert -

Re: The Trunk: Kernel-fbs.697.mcz

Colin Putney-3
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or, you commit to your package cache while offline, and when online you load updates. If there is no newer version you just copy your version to trunk, but if it did the merge, you commit that one as a new package (but you should paste the commit message for simpler reference).

I'd recommend this approach too. Commit locally when offline, then
when you come online, merge and commit to the trunk.

Colin