The Trunk: KernelTests-pre.350.mcz

commits-2
Patrick Rein uploaded a new version of KernelTests to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/KernelTests-pre.350.mcz

Name: KernelTests-pre.350
Author: pre
Time: 17 October 2018, 4:51:14.818895 pm
UUID: ca4e331b-75b7-da42-bbc4-cc15a7476fc0
Ancestors: KernelTests-pre.349

Restores the float gradual undeflow test disabled for the 5.2 release

=============== Diff against KernelTests-pre.349 ===============

Item was removed:
- ----- Method: FloatTest>>expectedFailures (in category 'failures') -----
- expectedFailures
-
- ^#(testTimesTwoPowerGradualUnderflow)!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: FloatTest>>testTimesTwoPowerGradualUnderflow (in category 'testing - arithmetic') -----
  testTimesTwoPowerGradualUnderflow
  "Here is a vicious case where timesTwoPower is inexact because it underflows.
  And two consecutive inexact operations lead to a different result than a single one.
  Typically expressed as multiple of Float fmin in base 2,
  2r1011*Float fmin shifted by -3 with round to nearest, tie to even mode:
  -> round(1.011) -> 1.0 = fmin
  But if first shifted by -2 then by -1:
  -> round(10.11) -> 11.0 = 3*fmin
  -> round(1.1) -> 10.0 = 2*fmin
  Or first shifted by -1 then by -2:
  -> round(101.1) -> 110.0 = 6*fmin
  -> round(1.1) -> 10.0 = 2*fmin
  A naive implementation that split the shift uncarefully might fail to handle such case correctly."
  | f |
  f := 2r1011 asFloat.
  "scan the whole range of possible exponents for this significand"
  Float fmin exponent + f exponent to: Float fmax exponent - f exponent
  do:
  [:exp |
  | g |
  g := f timesTwoPower: exp.
+ self assert: (g timesTwoPower: Float fmin exponent - g exponent) = Float fmin].!
- self assert: (g timesTwoPower: Float fmin exponent - g exponent) = Float fmin].
-
- "Forces a failure for 5.2 release. The test result seems to depend on the word size of the VM --pre"
- self assert: false. !

Re: The Trunk: KernelTests-pre.350.mcz

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 03:51:46PM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

> Patrick Rein uploaded a new version of KernelTests to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/KernelTests-pre.350.mcz

> Name: KernelTests-pre.350
> Author: pre
> Time: 17 October 2018, 4:51:14.818895 pm
> UUID: ca4e331b-75b7-da42-bbc4-cc15a7476fc0
> Ancestors: KernelTests-pre.349
>
> Restores the float gradual undeflow test disabled for the 5.2 release

Thank you for following up on this. I must admit I was a bit worried when
I saw a test being "temporarily" disabled. Happy to see that it really
was temporary :-)

Dave