The Trunk: Sound-tpr.47.mcz

1 message Options

The Trunk: Sound-tpr.47.mcz

commits-2
tim Rowledge uploaded a new version of Sound to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Sound-tpr.47.mcz

Name: Sound-tpr.47
Author: tpr
Time: 15 December 2015, 4:33:09.091 pm
UUID: 998878c2-2ae5-41e1-b60a-dbc169c238cd
Ancestors: Sound-nice.46

Protect SoundRecorder from primitiveFailed inside a critical block; raise a Warning signal afterwards instead of a raw error

=============== Diff against Sound-nice.46 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: SoundRecorder>>primStartRecordingDesiredSampleRate:stereo:semaIndex: (in category 'primitives') -----
  primStartRecordingDesiredSampleRate: samplesPerSec stereo: stereoFlag semaIndex: anInteger
+ "Start sound recording with the given stereo setting. Use a sampling rate as close to the desired rate as the underlying platform will support. If the given semaphore index is > 0, it is taken to be the index of a Semaphore in the external objects array to be signalled every time a recording buffer is filled.
+ We do *not* raise a primitiveFailed error here since this prim is called insdied a critical blcok and that often makes things painful. The only really likely case where this prim fails is a linux machine with no sound input hardware (a Raspberry Pi for example). See the startRecording method for how the failure is handled"
- "Start sound recording with the given stereo setting. Use a sampling rate as close to the desired rate as the underlying platform will support. If the given semaphore index is > 0, it is taken to be the index of a Semaphore in the external objects array to be signalled every time a recording buffer is filled."

  <primitive: 'primitiveSoundStartRecording' module: 'SoundPlugin'>
+ "self primitiveFailed"
- self primitiveFailed
  !

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: SoundRecorder>>startRecording (in category 'recording controls') -----
  startRecording
+ "Turn on the sound input driver and start the recording process. Initially, recording is paused.
+ If the primStartRecordingDesiredSampleRate:... fails it almost certainly means we have no usable
+ sound input device. Rather than having the prim raise a failure error we let it quietly do nothing
+ (since I hate trying to debug errors inside a critical block) and check the actual sampling rate later.
+ If the sampling rate is 0 we know the startup failed and raise an application level Signal to let any
+ user code know about the problem.
+ You might think we should also use the stopRecording message to close things down cleanly but
+ that simply results in astorm of attempts to start recording so it is simpler to let it be deluded. An
+ attempts to start recording will repeat the test and thereby handle any plug-in hardware etc."
- "Turn of the sound input driver and start the recording process. Initially, recording is paused."

  recordLevel ifNil: [recordLevel := 0.5].  "lazy initialization"
  CanRecordWhilePlaying ifFalse: [SoundPlayer shutDown].
  recordProcess ifNotNil: [self stopRecording].
  paused := true.
  meteringBuffer := SoundBuffer newMonoSampleCount: 1024.
  meterLevel := 0.
  self allocateBuffer.
  Smalltalk newExternalSemaphoreDo: [ :semaphore :index |
  bufferAvailableSema := semaphore.
  self primStartRecordingDesiredSampleRate: samplingRate asInteger
  stereo: stereo
  semaIndex: index ].
  RecorderActive := true.
  samplingRate := self primGetActualRecordingSampleRate.
+ samplingRate = 0 ifTrue: [ Warning signal: 'SoundRecorder: unable to connect to sound input device'].
  self primSetRecordLevel: (1000.0 * recordLevel) asInteger.
  recordProcess := [self recordLoop] newProcess.
  recordProcess priority: Processor userInterruptPriority.
  recordProcess resume!