The Trunk: System-fbs.620.mcz

commits-2
Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of System to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/System-fbs.620.mcz

Name: System-fbs.620
Author: fbs
Time: 23 November 2013, 9:13:28.936 pm
UUID: a640a27d-9472-204b-8a5d-67c861e94eeb
Ancestors: System-fbs.619

#setSystemVersionFromConfig: clearly belongs better with the parameter's class. #updateFromServer belongs (IMO at least) with the class involved with updating.

Keep the Utilities stubs, but deprecate them.

=============== Diff against System-fbs.619 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: MCConfiguration>>setSystemVersion (in category '*System-Support-updating') -----
+ setSystemVersion
+ "Set the current system version date to the latest date found in my configuration (or the associated working copy). Also set the highest update number to the sum of version numbers in my configuration."
+
+ | versionNumbers versionDates |
+ versionNumbers := self dependencies collect: [:d |
+ (d versionInfo name copyAfterLast: $.) asInteger].
+ versionDates := self dependencies collect: [:d |
+ d versionInfo date
+ ifNil: [d package workingCopy ancestors first date]].
+ SystemVersion current
+ date: versionDates max;
+ highestUpdate: versionNumbers sum.!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: MCMcmUpdater class>>updateFromServer (in category '*System-Support-updating') -----
+ updateFromServer
+ "Update the image by loading all pending updates from the server."
+ | config |
+ "Flush all caches. If a previous download failed this is often helpful"
+ MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
+ config := MCMcmUpdater updateFromDefaultRepository.
+ config ifNil: [^self inform: 'Unable to retrieve updates from remote repository.' translated].
+ config setSystemVersion.
+ self inform: ('Update completed.
+ Current update number: ' translated, SystemVersion current highestUpdate).!

Item was removed:
- ----- Method: Utilities class>>setSystemVersionFromConfig: (in category 'fetching updates') -----
- setSystemVersionFromConfig: anMCConfiguration
- "Set the current system version date to the latest date found in anMCConfiguration (or the associated working copy). Also set the highest update number to the sum of version numbers in the config."
-
- | versionNumbers versionDates |
- versionNumbers := anMCConfiguration dependencies collect: [:d |
- (d versionInfo name copyAfterLast: $.) asInteger].
- versionDates := anMCConfiguration dependencies collect: [:d |
- d versionInfo date
- ifNil: [d package workingCopy ancestors first date]].
- SystemVersion current
- date: versionDates max;
- highestUpdate: versionNumbers sum.
- !

Item was removed:
- ----- Method: Utilities class>>updateFromServer (in category 'fetching updates') -----
- updateFromServer
- "Update the image by loading all pending updates from the server."
- | config |
- "Flush all caches. If a previous download failed this is often helpful"
- MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
- config := MCMcmUpdater updateFromDefaultRepository.
- config ifNil: [^self inform: 'Unable to retrieve updates from remote repository.' translated].
- self setSystemVersionFromConfig: config.
- self inform: ('Update completed.
- Current update number: ' translated, SystemVersion current highestUpdate).!

Re: The Trunk: System-fbs.620.mcz

Nicolas Cellier
It seems that there is a load order problem, because I have a message not understood #setSystemVersionFromConfig: when updating... The old code below still invoke the Utilities (as well as TheWorldMenu and other senders...)
TheWorldMainDockingBar>>updateSqueak
    Utilities updateFromServer

2013/11/23 <[hidden email]>
Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of System to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/System-fbs.620.mcz

Name: System-fbs.620

Re: The Trunk: System-fbs.620.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
Ah crumbs. OK, so while System-fbs.623 re-adds the method, the
existing method is still executing and so still fails. Hey, at least I
broke the update stream in a _new_ way. I tried issuing a config to
leap past this, but because the old version's executing, that doesn't
help.

Help!

frank

On 24 November 2013 21:24, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> -               highestUpdate: versionNumbers sum.
>> - !
>>
>> Item was removed:
>> - ----- Method: Utilities class>>updateFromServer (in category 'fetching
>> updates') -----
>> - updateFromServer
>> -       "Update the image by loading all pending updates from the server."
>> -       | config |
>> -       "Flush all caches. If a previous download failed this is often
>> helpful"
>> -       MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
>> -       config := MCMcmUpdater updateFromDefaultRepository.
>> -       config ifNil: [^self inform: 'Unable to retrieve updates from
>> remote repository.' translated].
>> -       self setSystemVersionFromConfig: config.
>> -       self inform: ('Update completed.
>> - Current update number: ' translated, SystemVersion current

How about I re-add Utilities >> #setSystemVersionFromConfig: like this:

setSystemVersionFromConfig: aConfig
    self deprecated: 'Use MCConfiguration >> #setSystemVersion'.
    aConfig setSystemVersion

and then in a later step move this to 45Deprecated?

frank

On 25 November 2013 10:34, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> -               highestUpdate: versionNumbers sum.
>>> - !
>>>
>>> Item was removed:
>>> - ----- Method: Utilities class>>updateFromServer (in category 'fetching
>>> updates') -----
>>> - updateFromServer
>>> -       "Update the image by loading all pending updates from the server."
>>> -       | config |
>>> -       "Flush all caches. If a previous download failed this is often
>>> helpful"
>>> -       MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
>>> -       config := MCMcmUpdater updateFromDefaultRepository.
>>> -       config ifNil: [^self inform: 'Unable to retrieve updates from
>>> remote repository.' translated].
>>> -       self setSystemVersionFromConfig: config.
>>> -       self inform: ('Update completed.
>>> - Current update number: ' translated, SystemVersion current

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, Frank Shearar wrote:

> How about I re-add Utilities >> #setSystemVersionFromConfig: like this:
>
> setSystemVersionFromConfig: aConfig
>    self deprecated: 'Use MCConfiguration >> #setSystemVersion'.
>    aConfig setSystemVersion
>
> and then in a later step move this to 45Deprecated?

I think it doesn't matter which package has it the first time. The cause
of the problem is that the method is missing, so adding it before the
update finishes should work.

Levente

> frank
>
> On 25 November 2013 10:34, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ah crumbs. OK, so while System-fbs.623 re-adds the method, the
>> existing method is still executing and so still fails. Hey, at least I
>> broke the update stream in a _new_ way. I tried issuing a config to
>> leap past this, but because the old version's executing, that doesn't
>> help.
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> frank
>>
>> On 24 November 2013 21:24, Nicolas Cellier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> It seems that there is a load order problem, because I have a message not
>>> understood #setSystemVersionFromConfig: when updating... The old code below
>>> still invoke the Utilities (as well as TheWorldMenu and other senders...)
>>> TheWorldMainDockingBar>>updateSqueak
>>>     Utilities updateFromServer

Re: The Trunk: System-fbs.620.mcz

Nicolas Cellier
Yes, exactly what I thought... Or do the same with Utilities uodateFromServer

2013/11/25 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
> [...]

>>> -               highestUpdate: versionNumbers sum.
>>> - !
>>>
>>> Item was removed:
>>> - ----- Method: Utilities class>>updateFromServer (in category 'fetching
>>> updates') -----
>>> - updateFromServer
>>> -       "Update the image by loading all pending updates from the server."
>>> -       | config |
>>> -       "Flush all caches. If a previous download failed this is often
>>> helpful"
>>> -       MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
>>> -       config := MCMcmUpdater updateFromDefaultRepository.
>>> -       config ifNil: [^self inform: 'Unable to retrieve updates from
>>> remote repository.' translated].
>>> -       self setSystemVersionFromConfig: config.
>>> -       self inform: ('Update completed.
>>> - Current update number: ' translated, SystemVersion current

Chris Muller-3
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah crumbs. OK, so while System-fbs.623 re-adds the method, the
> existing method is still executing and so still fails. Hey, at least I
> broke the update stream in a _new_ way. I tried issuing a config to

No way man, I've broken it that way before.  Oh, and don't forget my
number recently that crashed the entire VM during update.  *I* am the
champion trunk-breaker!

Re: The Trunk: System-fbs.620.mcz

Nicolas Cellier
I have some recipes too.
Statistically, the more you commit, the more you break.
The more you play with kernel parts, the more you break.
The more you play with tools used during upgrading, the more you break.
The more you move things across packages, the more you break (things have really improved, it used to be much worse).
The more you remove things (class/methods/instance variables etc...) the more you break.
The more you rename things (class/methods/instance variables etc...) the more you break.

The fastest way to break things is having own idea how better graphics and morphic stuff should be.
Fortunately they often break before you ever got a chance to commit ;)

Changing your own leg while you are running is an art.
Some are really good at that sport, and I'd particularly liked the Colin's way for introducing environments.
If you look at changes, you'll see they described many circles, converting from SystemDictionary to Environment, back to SystemDictionary.
More a waltz than a sprint :)
So I'd say it's more about learning to dance than learning to program...

2013/11/26 Chris Muller <[hidden email]>
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah crumbs. OK, so while System-fbs.623 re-adds the method, the
> existing method is still executing and so still fails. Hey, at least I
> broke the update stream in a _new_ way. I tried issuing a config to

No way man, I've broken it that way before.  Oh, and don't forget my
number recently that crashed the entire VM during update.  *I* am the
champion trunk-breaker!

Re: The Trunk: System-fbs.620.mcz

timrowledge

On 25-11-2013, at 4:22 PM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have some recipes too.

The faster you can be stupid, the sooner you get past the misteaks and on to the good suff.

tim
The halfway point between right and wrong is still damn wrong. Compromise isn't always a solution

Re: The Trunk: System-fbs.620.mcz

Eliot Miranda-2

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 25-11-2013, at 4:22 PM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have some recipes too.

The faster you can be stupid, the sooner you get past the misteaks and on to the good suff.

+4.669
--
best,
Eliot