The Trunk: System-fbs.641.mcz

commits-2
Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of System to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/System-fbs.641.mcz

Name: System-fbs.641
Author: fbs
Time: 10 December 2013, 9:31:05.408 pm
UUID: 7f3758d1-fed5-5443-a2af-6ce6461597ff
Ancestors: System-fbs.640

Make the #updateFromServerAtStartup preference a pragma preference. Update the old call sites. Remove the preference in the postscript.

(Also, move #setSystemVersion to its more natural home. Extensions are great, but in this case we don't need one.)

=============== Diff against System-fbs.640 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: AutoStart class>>processUpdates (in category 'updating') -----
  processUpdates
  "Process update files from a well-known update server.  This method is called at system startup time,   Only if the preference #updateFromServerAtStartup is true is the actual update processing undertaken automatically"
  | choice |
+ (MCMcmUpdater updateFromServerAtStartup) ifTrue:
- (Preferences valueOfFlag: #updateFromServerAtStartup) ifTrue:
  [choice := UIManager default chooseFrom: #('Yes, Update' 'No, Not now' 'Don''t ask again')
  title: 'Shall I look for new code\updates on the server?' withCRs.
  choice = 1 ifTrue: [
  MCMcmUpdater updateFromServer].
  choice = 3 ifTrue: [
+ MCMcmUpdater updateFromServerAtStartup: false.
+ self inform: 'Remember to save your image to make this setting permant.']].
- Preferences setPreference: #updateFromServerAtStartup toValue: false.
- self inform: 'Remember to save you image to make this setting permant.']].
  ^false!

Item was removed:
- ----- Method: MCConfiguration>>setSystemVersion (in category '*System-Support-updating') -----
- setSystemVersion
- "Set the current system version date to the latest date found in my configuration (or the associated working copy). Also set the highest update number to the sum of version numbers in my configuration."
-
- | versionNumbers versionDates |
- versionNumbers := self dependencies collect: [:d |
- (d versionInfo name copyAfterLast: $.) asInteger].
- versionDates := self dependencies collect: [:d |
- d versionInfo date
- ifNil: [d package workingCopy ancestors first date]].
- SystemVersion current
- date: versionDates max;
- highestUpdate: versionNumbers sum.!

Item was removed:
- ----- Method: MCMcmUpdater class>>updateFromServer (in category '*System-Support-updating') -----
- updateFromServer
- "Update the image by loading all pending updates from the server."
- | config |
- "Flush all caches. If a previous download failed this is often helpful"
- MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
- config := MCMcmUpdater updateFromDefaultRepository.
- config ifNil: [^self inform: 'Unable to retrieve updates from remote repository.' translated].
- config setSystemVersion.
- self inform: ('Update completed.
- Current update number: ' translated, SystemVersion current highestUpdate).!

Item was added:
+ (PackageInfo named: 'System') postscript: 'MCMcmUpdater updateFromServerAtStartup: Preferences updateFromServerAtStartup.
+ Preferences removePreference: #updateFromServerAtStartup.'!

Re: The Trunk: System-fbs.641.mcz

Chris Muller-3
This preference causes the image to interrupt the user with a modal
question upon starting!  Now _I'm_ starting to hyperventilate!

All this code.  And String literals.  And more modal #inform:
interrupts.  (Shudder)  And right at the time when the user has
inertia enough toward a purpose, his reason to start the image, an
"intent" to do something else, is now interrupted by the stupid
software with a modal question.

Not even MS Windows punishes its users this harshly.

If you want to tell in image to update upon launch, pass in a command
argument to do that!

Or, simply press Control+1, down, down, Enter.  3 extra keystrokes is
worth the freedom of staying in control, and ridding the image of this
embarassing scourge of a UI.

I'm getting my buzzsaw...

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> - updateFromServer
> -       "Update the image by loading all pending updates from the server."
> -       | config |
> -       "Flush all caches. If a previous download failed this is often helpful"
> -       MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
> -       config := MCMcmUpdater updateFromDefaultRepository.
> -       config ifNil: [^self inform: 'Unable to retrieve updates from remote repository.' translated].
> -       config setSystemVersion.
> -       self inform: ('Update completed.
> - Current update number: ' translated, SystemVersion current highestUpdate).!
>
> Item was added:
> + (PackageInfo named: 'System') postscript: 'MCMcmUpdater updateFromServerAtStartup: Preferences updateFromServerAtStartup.
> + Preferences removePreference: #updateFromServerAtStartup.'!

Nicolas Cellier
But there's nothing new there, is there?

2013/12/12 Chris Muller <[hidden email]>
> [...]

> - updateFromServer
> -       "Update the image by loading all pending updates from the server."
> -       | config |
> -       "Flush all caches. If a previous download failed this is often helpful"
> -       MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
> -       config := MCMcmUpdater updateFromDefaultRepository.
> -       config ifNil: [^self inform: 'Unable to retrieve updates from remote repository.' translated].
> -       config setSystemVersion.
> -       self inform: ('Update completed.
> - Current update number: ' translated, SystemVersion current highestUpdate).!
>
> Item was added:
> + (PackageInfo named: 'System') postscript: 'MCMcmUpdater updateFromServerAtStartup: Preferences updateFromServerAtStartup.
> + Preferences removePreference: #updateFromServerAtStartup.'!

Chris Muller-4
It's in 4.4, but I've never seen it before today.

I smell an opportunity for addition-by-subtraction.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > -       "Update the image by loading all pending updates from the
>> > server."
>> > -       | config |
>> > -       "Flush all caches. If a previous download failed this is often
>> > helpful"
>> > -       MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
>> > -       config := MCMcmUpdater updateFromDefaultRepository.
>> > -       config ifNil: [^self inform: 'Unable to retrieve updates from
>> > remote repository.' translated].
>> > -       config setSystemVersion.
>> > -       self inform: ('Update completed.
>> > - Current update number: ' translated, SystemVersion current
>> > highestUpdate).!
>> >
>> > Item was added:
>> > + (PackageInfo named: 'System') postscript: 'MCMcmUpdater
>> > updateFromServerAtStartup: Preferences updateFromServerAtStartup.
>> > + Preferences removePreference: #updateFromServerAtStartup.'!

Frank Shearar-3
On 12 December 2013 02:41, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's in 4.4, but I've never seen it before today.

Oh it's much, much older than that. It's at least as old as ~2000.
Squeak 3.6? 3.7? The days of violent hues, at any rate.

> I smell an opportunity for addition-by-subtraction.

I would not complain, if someone did that :)

frank

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Nicolas Cellier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> But there's nothing new there, is there?
>>

>> 2013/12/12 Chris Muller <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> This preference causes the image to interrupt the user with a modal
>>> question upon starting!  Now _I'm_ starting to hyperventilate!
>>>
>>> All this code.  And String literals.  And more modal #inform:
>>> interrupts.  (Shudder)  And right at the time when the user has
>>> inertia enough toward a purpose, his reason to start the image, an
>>> "intent" to do something else, is now interrupted by the stupid
>>> software with a modal question.
>>>
>>> Not even MS Windows punishes its users this harshly.
>>>
>>> If you want to tell in image to update upon launch, pass in a command
>>> argument to do that!
>>>
>>> Or, simply press Control+1, down, down, Enter.  3 extra keystrokes is
>>> worth the freedom of staying in control, and ridding the image of this
>>> embarassing scourge of a UI.
>>>
>>> I'm getting my buzzsaw...

Re: The Trunk: System-fbs.641.mcz

Casey Ransberger-2
+1 for buzzsaw!

> [...]
>> - updateFromServer
>> -       "Update the image by loading all pending updates from the server."
>> -       | config |
>> -       "Flush all caches. If a previous download failed this is often helpful"
>> -       MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
>> -       config := MCMcmUpdater updateFromDefaultRepository.
>> -       config ifNil: [^self inform: 'Unable to retrieve updates from remote repository.' translated].
>> -       config setSystemVersion.
>> -       self inform: ('Update completed.
>> - Current update number: ' translated, SystemVersion current highestUpdate).!
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + (PackageInfo named: 'System') postscript: 'MCMcmUpdater updateFromServerAtStartup: Preferences updateFromServerAtStartup.
>> + Preferences removePreference: #updateFromServerAtStartup.'!

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 09:39:32AM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 12 December 2013 02:41, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It's in 4.4, but I've never seen it before today.
>
> Oh it's much, much older than that. It's at least as old as ~2000.
> Squeak 3.6? 3.7? The days of violent hues, at any rate.

I'll bet you can find the background on this somewhere in Bob's archaeology
site at http://69.251.218.6:9116/links.

Dave

> > I smell an opportunity for addition-by-subtraction.
>
> I would not complain, if someone did that :)
>
> frank
>
> > On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Nicolas Cellier
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> But there's nothing new there, is there?

Re: The Trunk: System-fbs.641.mcz

Chris Muller-3
That is a really great site.  I was able to find it in under 30 seconds:

============
"Change Set:        loadUpdates-mir
Date:            4 March 2005
Author:            Michael Rueger, Goran Krampe

Change the auto start mechanism's update loading to suggest loading updates in a release image.
If the preference #
updateFromServerAtStartup is set (it would be in a release image) the user is prompted if he/she wants to check for updates. There is now a third option to disable that option for later starts."
=========

So, this actually provides some good context -- they wanted to make it as easy and obvious as possible for first-time users to ensure they get the latest bug fixes the first time they start the *release* image.  In that context, and with the "Don''t ask again" option, this makes some sense..

Date:            4 March 2005
Author:            Michael Rueger, Goran Krampe

Change the auto start mechanism's update loading to suggest loading updates in a release image.
If the preference #
updateFromServerAtStartup is set (it would be in a release image) the user is prompted if he/she wants to check for updates. There is now a third option to disable that option for later starts."
=========

So, this actually provides some good context -- they wanted to make it as easy and obvious as possible for first-time users to ensure they get the latest bug fixes the first time they start the *release* image.  In that context, and with the "Don''t ask again" option, this makes some sense..

Yes, we had auto-update, isn't that amazing? ;) It's from a time when Squeak was synonymous with Etoys.

Also, this had to run very early, before the sandboxing was enabled after loading a project. After entering sandboxed mode there is no way to save the image anymore.

- Bert -